How can I burn 500 calories?

Options

Replies

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Inline speed skating easily burns 500 calories for me.
  • tiffyland21
    tiffyland21 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    why do you have to burn so much calories in such short amount of time? It is pretty tough, Just make it more doable by making it to an hour or 1 1/2, it isn't really much more time.
  • TeenageDream1369
    TeenageDream1369 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    @ds6099 It literally all depends on how much you currently weigh (no matter if the weight is fat or muscle) and how intensely you workout. Skipping rope, Zumba, and HIIT Long Distance running are some of your best options for that amount of burn in that length of time if you're ~150 lbs. Also, doing these cardio options with body weights attached to you will burn more *even more* calories! The more you weigh, the more you burn. Stay safe, know your limits, and good luck!
  • amiggiani
    amiggiani Posts: 4 Member
    Options
  • ds6099
    ds6099 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Op here. I didn't realize how hard it is to burn 500 calories lol. I'm quite clueless! Oh well I give up :(
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    ds6099 wrote: »
    Op here. I didn't realize how hard it is to burn 500 calories lol. I'm quite clueless! Oh well I give up :(

Don't give up. Just find something that you will like and do it. Does it have to be 500 calories?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

It isn't necessarily hard .. nor is it simple. How much you burn in a given period of time is a function of weight, activity, and intensity. A 200lb person running 4.5 miles in 45 minutes will burn over 550 net calories. A 120lb person running the same distance and pace will burn about 340. Walking burns less calories per mile than running.
  • ds6099
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »

Don't give up. Just find something that you will like and do it. Does it have to be 500 calories?

Doesn't have to be 500 calories! I just want to eat more lol. I love to work out but 400 calories running is great too :)
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    amiggiani wrote: »

There is no kitty cat in this video. Disappointment levels have reached their maximum.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Here's the kettlebell study...

http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/studies/kettlebells012010.pdf

I did the included workout for a few weeks. It is exhausting.

Not quite 20 cals/min though. And the low end was only 8 cals/min.
  • Teamhynes
    Teamhynes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Agree - swimming. Have been doing it all week on vacation and it's been so much fun!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,913 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Give up????

If you just want to eat more, how about incorporating exercise throughout your day.

Go for a brisk 30 min walk at lunch (100 cal)
    Go for a brisk 15 min walk before work and again after work (another 100 cal)
    Go for a brisk 45 min bicycle ride after work (300 cal)

You're there.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    brad837 wrote: »
    Kettlebells... Several studies have shown that Kettlebell workouts burn roughly 20.2 calories per minute!

That's nonsense.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It's really next to impossible to burn 500 calories in 45 minutes - even Zumba. And no one did Kettle bells for 45 minutes straight in that study. Unless you're really out of shape, and then you will have a heart attack.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited July 2015
    Options
    For a 150 pounder, 500 calories is a 5.5 mile run. Scale according to your own weight.

It is possible to burn like that in Zumba, etc, but only if you're actually capable of running like that. The vast majority of Zumbers aren't, and are burning a fraction of the (frankly ridiculous) marketing number put out there.

Not picking on Zumba - JM, 30DS, etc - they're all the same.
  • jpgarch2
    jpgarch2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Buy Shaun T's Insanity and give it all you got. One hour can equate to 500-1000 calories depending on a lot of factors but typically around 4000-500 per 42 minute session. It's tough!! Might want to warm up to it
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options

All you have to do is find a work out you enjoy and do it a bit longer. No big deal.

Or gain weight if you want to burn more, faster. I'm considering re-gaining the 75 pounds I lost because my calorie burns were much higher back then.
  • ds6099
    Options
    jpgarch2 wrote: »
    Buy Shaun T's Insanity and give it all you got. One hour can equate to 500-1000 calories depending on a lot of factors but typically around 4000-500 per 42 minute session. It's tough!! Might want to warm up to it

Does Max 30 burn that many calories?
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I think I burn around 100 calories per mile maybe a bit less. I can run 5 miles in 42 minutes. So that's what I'd do.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    jpgarch2 wrote: »

Does Max 30 burn that many calories?

None of them burn that many, unless you're already very fit.