lifting progression - Too slow? OK?

Options
I know everyone lifts different, and that's ok. But I was hoping to get some opinions on lifting progression. I started lifting in Oct/Nov 2014. Its now 8 months later and here is what my lifts have gone from (all sets of 5, in lbs, no idea what my 1RM is)

Squat 20 to 130
Bench 30 to 90
OHP 35 to 60
Deadlift 70 to 165
Bent over Row 20 to 80

Does that progression seem ok in 8 months? Should I be pushing harder to progress faster? Like I said I get everyone is different, and what's heavy to me is nothing to some of you. But I guess I'm just unsure of where I should be at this point. Thoughts? Are there guidelines out there for this type of thing?

Also, not sure if it matters, but I had 2 surgeries in that timeframe that put me on 6-8 week lift restrictions each time, so that slowed my progression down alot.

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I have no clue where to start on answering this. There is just so much that comes into this.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    squat increased by 550%
    Bench increased by 200%
    OHP increased by 71%
    dead lift increased by 136% and
    Rows increased by 300%

I would say that is great progress. That said, if you are not happy with the progress you may want to try reducing to 3x5. If you are in a deficit 5x5 can be hard to maintain for any length of time. You will progress faster and get better recovery from a 3x5 program (starting strength). But if you are happy, and are still progressing, stick with 5x5
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    There are so many factors that contribute it would be really hard for anyone to say yes or no. Plus it really doesn't matter what "we" think. I know you asked for opinions, but it's all about what you think and how you feel.

But since you asked, I'll give it a shot. I think, essentially, doubling your lifts in less than a year is great regardless of who you are and how much you lift.

Keep up the hard work. Just out of curiosity, what are your stats? Ht, Wt, lifting program and how is your nutrition? Are you in a calorie deficit, surplus or maintenance?
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I know there are many factors that come into play, and everyone is different. I guess I just wanted someone with lifting experience (and I know many of you do), to give a "yeah your doing ok" or "man you suck" lol :smile:
    There are so many factors that contribute it would be really hard for anyone to say yes or no. Plus it really doesn't matter what "we" think. I know you asked for opinions, but it's all about what you think and how you feel.

But since you asked, I'll give it a shot. I think, essentially, doubling your lifts in less than a year is great regardless of who you are and how much you lift.

Keep up the hard work. Just out of curiosity, what are your stats? Ht, Wt, lifting program and how is your nutrition? Are you in a calorie deficit, surplus or maintenance?

As for my stats, i'm 5'2, currently 162 lbs (started at 224), eat at a deficit (goal is 1 lb loss per week, so 1200 calories as per MFP, but I eat back about half my exercise calories so really ~ 1400 calories a day). Lifting program, started with SL, but switched to ICF about 5-6 months ago.

Thanks again all!

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    You have done an amazing job! Of course I'd like to see you eating more, but if it's working and you don't feel crappy on a daily basis keep going.

I do agree that at some point you will have to change your training with prolonged calorie deficit to keep energy levels up and continue with the gainz.

EM2WL community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3817-eat-more-2-weigh-less
  • natecooper75
    natecooper75 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If your numbers are higher than where you started, then you are doing fine. If they dropped, that is when you may have a problem. That is a short answer that I think applies in most cases.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yes, good progress especially with multi week layoffs. Keep grindin away.
  • whatatime2befit
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys! Appreciate it. I'll take a look at the EM2WL link later tonight. I know that i'll eventually have to increase my calories, especially the closer to goal I get, but for now, I seem to be doing ok.

I am starting to stall on squats, so I may switch to a 3x5 for that, we'll see how it goes over the next few weeks.

Thanks again!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You're more than fine.
  • whatatime2befit
    Options
    Sweet. Thank you!
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    If you are happy with the progress that is all that matters.
  • jessebowen492
    jessebowen492 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Are you using barbell for most of these? Most bars are always 25 or 45.. I've also rarely seen 50 lb bars. All your numbers seem odd is why I'm asking.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Are you using barbell for most of these? Most bars are always 25 or 45.. I've also rarely seen 50 lb bars. All your numbers seem odd is why I'm asking.

I assume she began with a fixed weight barbell on some of the lifts.
  • whatatime2befit
    Options
    The bar I have at home is only 20 lbs, started with that one. Then moved to the gym where now I'm using a mixture of Olympic bars or fixed
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Looks fine :)
    Oh, and ICF recommends 3x5 for main lifts when you are on a cut, and 2x8/2x10 for accessories, so don't feel bad about cutting down a bit.
    How should I lift when cutting?

The cutting version is 3x5 for main lifts, 2x8 for accessory lifts. Also, you only progress every other session, not every session. Example Workout B: deadlift 200, next workout B: deadlift 200, next workout B: deadlift 205.
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing awesome! I started about 11 months ago, I had a two month break and only my squat is higher than yours. Your bench is more, I can't bench very well and got stuck at 30kg/66lbs for ages! Well done!!
  • whatatime2befit
    Options
    Thanks!