How can I burn 500 calories?

Options

Replies

• EdricVnd
    EdricVnd Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing or Zumba

Yes, kickboxing. I'm on my third week of kickboxing and the inches are dropping. 4+ hours per week. Try it!

• brad837
    brad837 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    brad837 wrote: »
    Kettlebells... Several studies have shown that Kettlebell workouts burn roughly 20.2 calories per minute!

That's nonsense.

Based upon?
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Digging a hole or walking up stairs.
  • LyssaRonnell
    LyssaRonnell Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Rollerblade! I go for an hour and burn around 700calories. It's fun z
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    ds6099 wrote: »
    Op here. I didn't realize how hard it is to burn 500 calories lol. I'm quite clueless! Oh well I give up :(

Why would you give up so easily? Is the difference between burning 300 and 500 calories in 45 minutes so big?
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Insanity plyo workout, twice if needed!
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    How on earth can any program promise up to a 1000 calorie burn? That seems highly improbable to me.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    Op here. I didn't realize how hard it is to burn 500 calories lol. I'm quite clueless! Oh well I give up :(

Don't give up. Just find something that you will like and do it. Does it have to be 500 calories?

Doesn't have to be 500 calories! I just want to eat more lol. I love to work out but 400 calories running is great too :)

Well, how many calories does MFP give you already (w/o the exercises)?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    brad837 wrote: »
    Kettlebells... Several studies have shown that Kettlebell workouts burn roughly 20.2 calories per minute!
    That's pretty intense and I have seen amazing gains (fat loss) in a very short period of time using KB's.

so you're saying the 10 minutes of single leg RDL I did with my KB suddenly burned 200 calories- roughly the same as the two miles of running I did.

HA.
    Okay- sure. whatever you say.
    have fun getting fat over eating based on those ridiculous over inflated numbers.

A KB isn't special. It is a weight with a handle on it. It burns no more and no less than the equivalent exercise performed with a bar bell or db of similar weight.

Changing the same of it doesn't drastically change the nature of the exercise. Changing the nature of the exercise changes the nature.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    garrettg84 wrote: »
    Look up cold therapy. It is miserable but you can literally sit still in an ice bath and burn more calories than working out (at a mild pace). I hate doing cardio. Ice baths are less miserable than running.

Thanks for the laugh.......I needed that today.

To the OP, ignore this idea .....ice baths are far more miserable than running (but at times necessary afterward)

• Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    garrettg84 wrote: »
    Look up cold therapy. It is miserable but you can literally sit still in an ice bath and burn more calories than working out (at a mild pace). I hate doing cardio. Ice baths are less miserable than running.

It looks like MAYBE a 3-hour period of cold exposure burned 250 extra calories through brown fat, and those calories came almost entirely from fat. While the fat burning is great, it is well under the calorie requirement OP was asking about, and well over the 45 minutes given to the task. Plus, could you be in an ice bath for 3 hours?!! And you would only burn enough calories to have a couple of nice brandies to warm up with.

Source: Paleoleap.com
  • JoRocka
    Options
    How on earth can any program promise up to a 1000 calorie burn? That seems highly improbable to me.

because making money is more important than actually training people- and once you get people "fixed" they don't need product any more- so they trick people into a constant do-loop of looking for a fix- therefor spending more money.
  • zoober
    zoober Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I did 45 minutes on the elliptical trainer this morning and burned 637 calories, or at least that's what the readout said. It felt like it, that's for sure.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    running and swimming.
  • sadmaker
    sadmaker Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    jpgarch2 wrote: »
    Buy Shaun T's Insanity and give it all you got. One hour can equate to 500-1000 calories depending on a lot of factors but typically around 4000-500 per 42 minute session. It's tough!! Might want to warm up to it

Does Max 30 burn that many calories?

None of them burn that many, unless you're already very fit.
    The more fit you are, the less you burn

• SkinnyCat39
    SkinnyCat39 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Swimming Does It :-)
  • JenMaselli
    JenMaselli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Depends on your weight. Run 5 miles, that will be close to 500.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    sadmaker wrote: »
    Buy Shaun T's Insanity and give it all you got. One hour can equate to 500-1000 calories depending on a lot of factors but typically around 4000-500 per 42 minute session. It's tough!! Might want to warm up to it

... Sort of.
    The more fit you are, the more efficient your body operates, so it takes less effort to complete a task...
    But, you're also capable of maintaining higher levels of intensity for longer periods of time, thereby burning more calories than a less fit version of yourself at the same weight. If you work out at the same rate of perceived exertion in each case, the more fit you will burn more calories.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    SBRRepeat wrote: »

... Sort of.
    The more fit you are, the more efficient your body operates, so it takes less effort to complete a task...
    But, you're also capable of maintaining higher levels of intensity for longer periods of time, thereby burning more calories than a less fit version of yourself at the same weight. If you work out at the same rate of perceived exertion in each case, the more fit you will burn more calories.

exactly.

If you're in shape/conditioned- you can do more of what you're asking your body to do.

If you're not- you're going to be limited by your lack of fitness.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Other way around. Fit people burn a lot more calories (for example) running 30 minutes than do unfit people.

A LOT more.