Pregnant but wanting to lose weight in a healthy way

Options

Replies

• Jennyx12
    Jennyx12 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just found out I'm pregnant and I'm still over weight and carrying a lot of my baby weight from my first over a year ago! Last pregnancy I lost 15lbs from morning sickness and I'm hoping I have no morning sickness this time! I met with my doctor today and she just informed me that most, if not all my weight gain will come in the last half of my second and third trimesters. She said to try and walk at least 20 minutes a day, at whatever pace is comfortable for me and to just eat a clean diet. I ate lots of sweets last pregnancy and I'm hoping to find healthier ways to crave that!
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Glad to see a mother who's more worried about her weight, instead of focusing on her baby who's continually growing and needs excess calories / nutrients.

Like others mentioned, talk to your DOCTOR.... please lock / delete this retarded *kitten* thread.

• dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Glad to see a mother who's more worried about her weight, instead of focusing on her baby who's continually growing and needs excess calories / nutrients.

Like others mentioned, talk to your DOCTOR.... please lock / delete this retarded *kitten* thread.
    What a ridiculous thing to say! Concern about a mother's weight IS concern for the baby! The two things are interconnected - seeing as they both occupy the same body space! Gestational diabetes, pre-eclampsia and numerous other pregnancy-related health problems are directly affected by the starting AND ongoing weight of the mother.

BTW, a growing baby actually only needs you to have an extra 200 calories per day, and ONLY for the last 3 months of the pregnancy. None of this 'eating for two' stuff people seem to think a pregnant mother needs to consume. 200 calories - that's nothing really! ;) So, talk to your doctor - but go armed with information such as that which forum members have offered. His/her advice will be based on your specific medical requirements, but this actual calorie requirement of a baby needs to be more widely known, IMO.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

What a ridiculous thing to say! Concern about a mother's weight IS concern for the baby! The two things are interconnected - seeing as they both occupy the same body space! Gestational diabetes, pre-eclampsia and numerous other pregnancy-related health problems are directly affected by the starting AND ongoing weight of the mother.

BTW, a growing baby actually only needs you to have an extra 200 calories per day, and ONLY for the last 3 months of the pregnancy. None of this 'eating for two' stuff people seem to think a pregnant mother needs to consume. 200 calories - that's nothing really! ;) So, talk to your doctor - but go armed with information such as that which forum members have offered. His/her advice will be based on your specific medical requirements, but this actual calorie requirement of a baby needs to be more widely known, IMO.

So basically what the person you quoted said?

There are so many ridiculous and often dangerous methods for weight loss out there, not to mention all the misconceptions, that the idea of starting the process while pregnant seems a little precarious to me. I'm sure the OP wants a healthy baby. Definitely time to put down the Internet and work with her Doctor

• martyqueen52
    edited July 2015
    Options

So many misconceptions in your words it's unreal. My wife was on the verge of pre-eclampsia with our daughter due to her BP, and her weight was more than fine, weight plays no factor in that category, so try again.

Any OB will tell you not to go on a diet while pregnant, ours did... all 3 of ours did. And even the fertility clinic we went to did since we tried for over 3 years for a baby. And an extra 200 is just a baseline assumption. It's not nationally set, nor recognized. It's just a baseline for women to follow.

And for someone to go on a forum, and ask advice like this from randoms on the internet, instead of asking a DOCTOR when they are pregnant, (weather it be by mistake or purposeful) more than pisses me off since some of us can't have kids, at all. I'm NASM certified with a focus on powerlifting and I've seen advice on here that will hurt people, badly. Why in the hell would you want to jeopardize something so special with dumb *kitten* advice from people who really don't know you, your body, or have any clue in hell about your vitals and what's right / wrong for you or your baby?
  • martyqueen52
    edited July 2015
    Options
    double post. ignore.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    http://sogc.org/publications/healthy-eating-exercise-and-weight-gain-beforeand-duringpregnancy/

The link gives recommended ranges for weight gain during pregnancy for women at a variety of BMIs. And some generic advice about diet and exercise.

It also gives a list of obesity related pregnancy complications.

Congratulations OP and all you other pregnant MFP'ers, wishing you happy and uneventful pregnancies and deliveries.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My big sis is obese and was during her last 2 pregancies. She gained like 3 lbs during the last pregnancy....and the baby weighed almost 10 lbs! It is possible to have plenty of calories for the baby without "eating for two". Just make sure you & the doc talk about what's healthy and that you eat PLENTY of nutrient dense foods!! Healthy baby is #1. Momma can always lose weight once the baby is born. I had to lose plenty after my kiddos.
  • alsgal87
    alsgal87 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think that if you are feeding you and the baby good foods, like plenty of fresh fruits,veggies and lean meats, then it will be better for you and your baby when you deliver. With my two boys I craved healthy stuff and splurged twice a month on what I was craving. I walked out of the hospital in my jeans. Unfortunately with my daughter I gained 50 lbs due to the intense cravings of york peppermint patty's and reeses peanut butter cups lol . I do agree though talk to your OB
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Posted on another forum too

Hi there. I'm 18 weeks pregnant, third baby. I am using MFP to ensure I don't gain too much weight this pregnancy like I did before. my first trimester I had my calorie goal set to maintain my weight. I am now in my second trimester and changed it to .5 pounds a week but was still hungry at this setting and I would tend to go over just a tad anyways so I changed it to the recommended one pound a week for the second and third trimester. I used another website to calculate what calorie intake was best for my pre-pregnancy weight and height and workout schedule, both MFP and the other site recommended 2520 Calories a day and that is what I'm going to stick to for now. I have a doctors appointment today and plan on discussing it with her. I sent friend request, we can do this together. Interested in other pregnant MFP friends too. A lot of MFP members Who are not pregnant or have never had kids don't seem to understand The concerns of pregnant women And are quick to judge so having the support of other pregnant MFP members would be great.

This is beyond ludicrous. A majority of the users on this website are women and I'd wager a large portion of those have dealt with or are dealing with pregnancy. That's a pretty ignorant statement.

2066659_o.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    talk to your obgyn. esp if pregnant.

And OP ^this.
  • WinterSkies
    WinterSkies Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    First off - I agree with everyone else who has suggested talking to your doctor. He/she should be able to provide you with information about how much weight you should be gaining.

I have gone through two pregnancies, with very different weight gains. With my son, I gained 35-40lb (206lb to a little over 240lb). A lot of that was water weight - we had a hot summer, and I was really swollen. But a lot of it was me too. I ate a lot, and was less active than usual, and probably had a lot of sodium in my diet contributing to the swelling. With my daughter, I gained a total of 15lb (205lb to 220lb). With her, I had no swelling, but I also ate a lot better. I only ate until I was satisfied (trying to avoid that "stuffed" feeling, since it aggravated my heartburn), and I tried to eat a lot more fruits and veggies, and less junky stuff. I tried harder to keep active (easy when you're chasing and lifting a toddler!).

I think the key is to be reasonable in your expectations for yourself. You ARE going to gain weight. On average, a woman loses close to 20lb during delivery and the days immediately after, so the weight WILL come off. Eat healthily, but don't beat yourself up for indulging your cravings, within reason. And try not to stress about it if you gain more than you were hoping. As long as your health is in check, there are enough other things to worry about :)

As an aside, a lot of people don't talk about how much hungrier you can get after baby arrives. If you breastfeed, you will likely be starving constantly, and want to eat everything in sight. So be aware! Have lots of healthy, tasty snack foods (preferably that can be eaten with one hand) available in your kitchen. Otherwise, it's really easy to find yourself sitting on the couch, nursing through cluster feedings, chowing down on a box of crackers :*

• purpleposies
    purpleposies Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor.

That being said, I'll tell you my experience. I weighed about 323 lb when I found out I was pregnant (it was a surprise). The first OB I saw told me she wanted me to lose 20 lb. When I posted that on a mommy forum people flipped the f*#k out - understandably, because who's ever heard of a doctor telling you to LOSE WEIGHT while you're pregnant?

I was also at least 120 lb overweight at that point. Not something most, if not any, of those other women had to deal with. I did lose some weight, and then gained some back towards the end. But I didn't super restrict my calories or anything. I made sure to take my prenatals as I was supposed to, and I just ate better food and tried to cut out the junk (still cheated every once in a while, because: pregnancy). After baby came and all was over and done with, I weighed 318 lb. So while I was gaining in baby and fluids and whatnot, I was losing body weight (if this makes any sense).

But you really need to talk to your doctor.

If it's something you're both concerned about, perhaps you can consult a nutritionist or a registered dietician while you're pregnant to keep you on the right track to not gaining a lot of weight if you are already overweight. But that's something for you and a medical professional to decide. Be careful.

Oh - and talk to your doctor.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Hi there. I'm 18 weeks pregnant, third baby. I am using MFP to ensure I don't gain too much weight this pregnancy like I did before. my first trimester I had my calorie goal set to maintain my weight. I am now in my second trimester and changed it to .5 pounds a week but was still hungry at this setting and I would tend to go over just a tad anyways so I changed it to the recommended one pound a week for the second and third trimester. I used another website to calculate what calorie intake was best for my pre-pregnancy weight and height and workout schedule, both MFP and the other site recommended 2520 Calories a day and that is what I'm going to stick to for now. I have a doctors appointment today and plan on discussing it with her. I sent friend request, we can do this together. Interested in other pregnant MFP friends too. A lot of MFP members Who are not pregnant or have never had kids don't seem to understand The concerns of pregnant women And are quick to judge so having the support of other pregnant MFP members would be great.

*rolling eyes* at the bold part.
  • Serah87
    Options
    OP talk to your doctor.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Shame on you.

Not one word of concern for the health of your baby ... who should be your focus, NOT your figure.

For the record, I have two children.

Thank goodness you're going to discuss this with your doctor, I only hope that you will stick with a reasonable weight gain instead of keeping on this dangerous path.

• Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    E

Shame on you.

Not one word of concern for the health of your baby ... who should be your focus, NOT your figure.

For the record, I have two children.

Thank goodness you're going to discuss this with your doctor, I only hope that you will stick with a reasonable weight gain instead of keeping on this dangerous path.

Exactly what I meant by judgemental. ..hard to post anything about anything on mfp when your pregnant...not sure what you think is dangerous about gaining the recommended 1 lb a week and eating a 2520 calorie diet, but to each their own I can't keep letting people like you make me feel a certain type of way. But concern for a healthy weight gain is all one can do for an unborn child at this point....what more is a pregnant woman to do. I have 2 very healthy kids so not sure what your so upset about, what about my post made you soo angry?
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    OP talk to your doctor.

Why do you seek all my posts to say something negative? I purposely looked for pregnancy posts to have members who can relate to my concerns why is this such an issue with you?
  • Serah87
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    OP talk to your doctor.

Why do you seek all my posts to say something negative? I purposely looked for pregnancy posts to have members who can relate to my concerns why is this such an issue with you?

Bold part is what I have issue with and that you are constantly trying to bait people into argument, just exactly what you doing now.