How do you stick to your sugar limit?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    I eat low carb and high fat so it is part of this WOE to have very low sugar, and I have found that once you get it low it is quite easy to maintain.

To keep my sugars below 10g, I eat mostly meats, cheese, nuts, and a few veggies that are low in sugars (like spinach - generally veggies that did not grow below the ground). I avoid all starchy foods and don't eat anything made with flour. I also eat at a slight caloric deficit to lose weight.

People will be quick to point out that keeping sugar this low is not needed unless you have a medical condition (which I do - prediabetes and autoimmune diseases), but it is also a choice that won't hurt if you choose to do it without a medical need. Sugar is the body's first choice for fuel but it will easily switch to fat burning when needed.

Best wishes.

except people miss out on a lot of awesome nutrition that fruits and veg that you avoid have to offer...

i think it's pretty *kitten* to recommend people avoid fruits and veg just because it has a little sugar when it's completely unnecessary outside of certain medical conditions.

Low carb does not necessarily mean low fruits and vegetables. If it's important to you even the lowest carb diets can fit them in -- it's a matter of preference and priorities and that has nothing to do with the macro split of your diet.

well, the poster i quoted clearly states that they avoid certain fruits and veg which is what i was responding to...so...there's that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb and high fat so it is part of this WOE to have very low sugar, and I have found that once you get it low it is quite easy to maintain.

To keep my sugars below 10g, I eat mostly meats, cheese, nuts, and a few veggies that are low in sugars (like spinach - generally veggies that did not grow below the ground). I avoid all starchy foods and don't eat anything made with flour. I also eat at a slight caloric deficit to lose weight.

People will be quick to point out that keeping sugar this low is not needed unless you have a medical condition (which I do - prediabetes and autoimmune diseases), but it is also a choice that won't hurt if you choose to do it without a medical need. Sugar is the body's first choice for fuel but it will easily switch to fat burning when needed.

Best wishes.

except people miss out on a lot of awesome nutrition that fruits and veg that you avoid have to offer...

i think it's pretty *kitten* to recommend people avoid fruits and veg just because it has a little sugar when it's completely unnecessary outside of certain medical conditions.

Low carb does not necessarily mean low fruits and vegetables. If it's important to you even the lowest carb diets can fit them in -- it's a matter of preference and priorities and that has nothing to do with the macro split of your diet.

well, the poster i quoted clearly states that they avoid certain fruits and veg which is what i was responding to...so...there's that.

Yeah, I read cwolfman as responding to that specific poster's comments, as I did as well. Here and elsewhere that poster has been promoting low carb as low in veggies and as excluding fruit.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    I don't track sugar. Track fiber instead.

+1
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Sugar limit?

I'm not diabetic. Why would I limit sugars?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I don't. Sugar is just a carb. If I'm within my carb limit for the day, I'm good to go.
  • AmieAP
    AmieAP Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't eat or drink any sugar. (except veggies and fruit, of course). I believe it is a deadly drug (that is not an opinion, but a fact) and that it should be banned.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    AmieAP wrote: »
    I don't eat or drink any sugar. (except veggies and fruit, of course). I believe it is a deadly drug (that is not an opinion, but a fact) and that it should be banned.

Please tell me you're being sarcastic... please?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't eat or drink any sugar. (except for the sugar I do eat.)

:'(
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I don't track macros at all. Only calories. Down 30 pounds so far.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Best wishes.

I did not "recommend people avoid fruits and veg just because it has a little sugar when it's completely unnecessary outside of certain medical conditions". I said it was a food choice that won't harm them. It is MUCH simpler, IMO, to get all the nutrients and macros a body needs by eating meats, nuts, eggs, dairy, and low GI veggies than it is from eating "fruits and veg".

Now, I suppose LCHF could hurt if you choose to only eat unhealthy fats and protein sources (like from highly processed meats or trans-fats - yuck) but if one eats quality meat, nuts, cheese, eggs, low GI veggies, and dairy, this diet is a perfectly healthy choice for most people. Sort of how eating a higher carb diet is healthy for most people unless they are living on highly processed "foods" like chips, candy and pop.... And yes, I know that for lots people, those highly processed foods can be eaten in moderation and they feel fine.

IMO, it is the unhealthy food choices in any WOE that often create problems with health and weight.

Consider the Inuit. Almost 100% carnivores (which is much more meat than most LCHF people eat). They were perfectly healthy (almost without heart disease, no diabetes, very low cancer rates) until they added "western food" to their diet.

Most people I know who have done LCHF have improved blood glucose, improved HDL, lowered triglycerides, and lost weight, including me. If you are worried about nutritional deficiencies, take a multi-vitamin, but I don't need one.

I don't see how passing along WOE information for people to consider is "*kitten*". Ignorance is bliss?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Best wishes.

I do avoid certain fruits and veggies. High GI fruits, such as mango, I would only take a bite or two of. Low GI fruits like berries are tasty and I enjoy eating them, just not by the handfuls. Avocados I love and eat a few a week.

I tend to avoid starchy veggies, which are usually grown underground. If I eat some of those, it is small serving. I do eat veggies though.

LCHF isn't that "out there". It is just a modification of SAD.

Yesterday at dinner I ate sauteed green beans and broiled Zucchini along with some guacamole, shrimp, and nicely prepared meat. I had a cream cheese parfait with berries on top for dessert.

Lunches are sometimes a can of tuna with celery, mayo and half an avocado. Maybe a lettuce wrap with cheese and meat, with 1/2 pistachios.

Breakfast is usually coffee with coconut cream, bacon and an egg, often with wilted greens.

If I snack in the evening I'll have cheese, or some macadamia nuts with xylitol sweetened chocolate chips.

Yes, it is probably fewer veggies than many, but it is not that low in veggies - I still eat more veggies than my husband whose diet is pretty typical.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I don't eat or drink any sugar. (except for the sugar I do eat.)

:'(

Giggled

OP-I don't pay any attention to my sugar, either. These threads always go this way. There is nothing voo-doo about sugar that suddenly makes you fat or kills your body. My view is that food is food. Eat in a way that is sustainable to you and keeps you happy. For me, that includes products containing sugar. And vegetables. And lean sources of protein. And pizza. Find what works for you.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I believe it is a deadly drug (that is not an opinion, but a fact) and that it should be banned.

<boggle>

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

How is this law to be drafted? Do you have some proposed language? Can I (please o please!) pick the politicians who sponsor it?

Are you really going to ban my baking of apple pie? Pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving (I see you aren't from the US, though)? Why is apple sauce okay (if no added sugar) but rhubarb sauce with no more sugar but a little added verboten? Would I really not be able to use some sugar in a marinade or barbecue sauce or for smoked salmon?

What a paradise on earth!
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options

Are you Fed Up?
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

If this is the cognitive byproduct of eliminating sugar, I am going to start snorting the stuff straight up.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

LOL
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If it is a fact and not an opinion, you don't believe, you acknowledge. Only problem is, you'd be totally wrong so don't use acknowledge. Sugar is necessary to live. Your body will create it out of protein if it doesn't get enough to function.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

If this is the cognitive byproduct of eliminating sugar, I am going to start snorting the stuff straight up.

I snorted reading this.