July 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Got my 10k in this morning, shooting for something in the 4 mile range tomorrow.

exercise.png
  • KOW75
    KOW75 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    @shanaber - thank you so much. I will try it all. I am determined to work through this and really appreciate the help.

7/1 - 4.05
    7/3 - 6.91
    7/5 - 4.02
    7/6 - 3.05
    7/8 - 4.52
    7/9 - 8.37
    7/11 - 4.29
    7/13 - 3.08
    7/14 - 4.51
    7/15 - 4.52

exercise.png[img][/img]
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    DATE ... MILES
    7/1 ... 5
    7/2 ... 5.5
    7/4 ... 10
    7/5 ... 10
    7/6 ... 2
    7/7 ... 6.5
    7/9 ... 3
    7/11 ... 18
    7/13 ... 4
    7/14 ... 5.5
    7/15 ... 6.5
    7/16 ... 7

83/150 goal
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    You really don't need sports beans or gels or gummy bears or the sorts for any race that lasts under 90 minutes. Water yes, but not carbs. If you are running aerobically (keeping your pace below your lactate threshold) your body should learn to burn fat for fuel and you should have plenty of glycogen stores as long as you are eating right during training and leading up into your race.

It's better to get up 2 or 3 hours before your race and have a small meal of light carbs as opposed to worry about gu's and gels and sorts on the run. Marathon however is different or any race lasting more than 2 hours. In those situations you have to supplement with fueling because running low on glycogen is a reality in longer races.

I agree with this. I personally don't take anything during training runs under 13-14 miles. I take water with nuun in it on runs longer than 10 miles usually. I do however take a honey stinger gel about 15 minutes before I do a long run. I am generally out the door between 6-6:30 (even on weekends). There is just no way I can get up earlier to eat real food before a run. If I am meetinig someone and starting later (7-7:30 range) then I will eat pb toast or a luna bar about an hour before I run.

I have to say though that on longer (16+) runs I love the honey stinger chews. I like that I can take just a few at a time and spread them out. Plus they taste good!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    7.14.15.... 1 M... 12 min Treadmill incline sprints
    7.15.15.... 2 M..... 20 min treadmill- 1/4 mile hill work (alternating 2.5%- 9% incline every 1/4 mile)

so 3 of some magical number of miles.

Going to try to get a decent run in Saturday morning 4-5 miles- but we'll see. long weekend ahead!

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    You really don't need sports beans or gels or gummy bears or the sorts for any race that lasts under 90 minutes. Water yes, but not carbs. If you are running aerobically (keeping your pace below your lactate threshold) your body should learn to burn fat for fuel and you should have plenty of glycogen stores as long as you are eating right during training and leading up into your race.

It's better to get up 2 or 3 hours before your race and have a small meal of light carbs as opposed to worry about gu's and gels and sorts on the run. Marathon however is different or any race lasting more than 2 hours. In those situations you have to supplement with fueling because running low on glycogen is a reality in longer races.
    Yup, all that.

That said, I do like using the GU gels personally. I tried using just candy but the main drawback was the lack of electrolytes meaning I had to carry yet another thing to get those. I also feel like I get more energy from the GU than candy due to GU having two kinds of sugars each of which are absorbed by different receptors, meaning you digest it twice as fast than when using one kind of sugar alone.

What you use is a purely personal choice based on what you are looking for, and what your tolerance is to many, many things. Some people feel ill eating some things, others find they have trouble chewing things, etc.

After various candies, GU gels, GU chomps, Sport Beans and just Gatorade, I find I prefer the GU gels. They are small, lightweight, and all I need to worry about carrying on really long runs is water (and only needing to refill with water). Gatorade doesn't work for me if I will need to refill my container, and on races the amount of Gatorade they had out at the aid stations isn't enough for 2+ hour efforts (for me at least) so I will need to take something extra anyway. I personally did not feel the same energy from candy, and my only issue with the Sport Beans was how long it took me to chew them. I like to walk when I take in these things, and I feel the length of time I spent chewing on the beans was just too long for me personally.

You should experiment and find what works for you. But, as mentioned above, you don't need any of these things unless you're running for 2+ hours. I have actually run up to 2 hours without anything with no issues, but anything that will be over 2 hours I do plan to refuel, and have had issues on some runs trying that with no refueling.
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    Six easy miles today. I really had trouble getting started, just couldn't get into that groove of running. After mile two though the rest of the run flew right by.

7/1 - 12 miles
    7/2 - 6 miles (18 miles total)
    7/4 - 16 miles (34 miles total)
    7/5 - 12 miles (46 miles total)
    7/7 - 6 miles (52 total)
    7/8 - 12 miles (64 total)
    7/9 - 6 miles (70 total)
    7/11 - 16 miles (86 total)
    7/14 - 6 miles (92 total)
    7/15 - 12 miles (104 total)
    7/16 - 6 miles (110 total)

Goal 200 miles

exercise.png

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    You should experiment and find what works for you. But, as mentioned above, you don't need any of these things unless you're running for 2+ hours. I have actually run up to 2 hours without anything with no issues, but anything that will be over 2 hours I do plan to refuel, and have had issues on some runs trying that with no refueling.

I'm thinking ahead to my Halloween HM. Based on my last 10K result, it will take me 2hr23m to finish. I expect to get somewhat faster in the next 3 months, but certainly not enough get in under 2 hours.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I value the opinions of experienced runners such as yourselves.
  • melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 A Halloween race sounds like fun! Which one are you doing? That's a great idea, I'm going to hunt for one right now.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

After various candies, GU gels, GU chomps, Sport Beans and just Gatorade, I find I prefer the GU gels. They are small, lightweight, and all I need to worry about carrying on really long runs is water (and only needing to refill with water). Gatorade doesn't work for me if I will need to refill my container, and on races the amount of Gatorade they had out at the aid stations isn't enough for 2+ hour efforts (for me at least) so I will need to take something extra anyway. I personally did not feel the same energy from candy, and my only issue with the Sport Beans was how long it took me to chew them. I like to walk when I take in these things, and I feel the length of time I spent chewing on the beans was just too long for me personally.

A RD will announce ahead of time what they plan to give out during the race, whether it be PowerAid or Gatorade or Honeystingers, ect. Pay attention and learn early what they will provide to include brand and flavors. Then try on your own during a training run or 2 whether if you like it or not or whether or not it effects your GI or running in a positive or negative way.

A thing about race provided sports drinks. Flavor is not guarentee and neither is concentration. I had Poweraid at one stop that was very watered down and a particular flavor. get to the next aid stop and it was a completely different flavor and was a very strong concentration. What they will do is get a powder and mix the water in. And not all the buckets will be mixed by the same person. In some cases maybe the ice doesn't quite melt the same way. All of this could effect how you take it in. The more that you can control, the better you can expect certain results. This may mean you carrying your own fueling options.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Another thing. A RD will also announce where the aid stations are going to be. For example, Mile 3 will only be water, Mile 5 Poweraid and Water. Mile 7 Water only. Mile 9 and 11 Poweraid and water. Bathrooms on Mile 5 and Mile 9.

Know what your expected pace is and how long you expect to hit each stop and strategize your fueling based upon where water and or other aid is going to be handed out. If you think you need aid (whether water and/or carbs) you are going to want to take it before your body actually tells you that you need it. Because you are running, all the blood to digest things is being diverted to actually delivering oxygen and glycogen and fatty acids to all your working muscles. So digestion is going to be slower. If you expect to need carb supplementation 45 minutes into the race then you better take it maybe 30 minutes into the race.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Maybe more like "what hill?". Lol!uf77csqc3ajs.jpg

Omg! That looks just like my park run! The long half mile to mile inclines are harder than the shorter steeper hills.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 A Halloween race sounds like fun! Which one are you doing? That's a great idea, I'm going to hunt for one right now.

@melaniefave41, I haven't registered yet, but I'm doing the Monster Dash

Unlike those folks in the pictures, I will not be in costume, unless I figure out a very unobtrusive one. I don't want anything slowing me down or bothering me along the course. I can only imagine how many costume parts are strewn along the way after the race is over.

The course is all down hill (400' drop), starts at the St. Paul Cathedral, goes down Summit Avenue (think old money mansions), then turns down a beautiful tree-lined road along the Mississippi River, ending at a riverside park. All that with the fall tree color should make for a beautiful day.

They advertise on-course bands & DJ's at 10 different locations which will be fun. Race swag includes a "performance zip-up" and a stained glass medal for finishers. I've heard that the group putting it on, Team Ortho, does a great job. I'm getting pretty fired up to do this!!
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited July 2015
    Options
    For a costume in a HM I wouldn't suggest anything more than something along the lines of the UA Alter Ego stuff. At the Garmin HM I saw a fair number of people at the start in Wizard of Oz costumes. I saw none of the costumes at the finish line. Perhaps some of the 10k runners made it the whole way in costume, but along the HM route I saw a Dorothy dress lying on the side of the road, and a rather nice looking witches broom along the trail part of the run. One of the runners nearby commented when we were passing by the Dorothy dress about how she did her last training run in her witches outfit and that in the woods near her house there is now a pointy witch hat somewhere.
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Two more days to add:

7/15: 5.41
    7/16: 4.41

exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    7/1 - took the 0-fer today after taking my wife to the ER at midnight, I slept in :/
    7/2 - 5 miles on a perfect morning for a run in DSM...you all should be jealous!
    7/3 - 4 miles
    7/4 - 7 miles, visiting in-laws, partial "trail run" through road construction
    7/5 - rest day
    7/6 - 3.1 miles; planned for 5 but got completely washed out by huge rain
    7/7 - seem to have got a summer cold...slept in, no run
    7/8 - getting worse...ugh! May be a sinus infection. Nothing worse than being sick in the summer!
    7/9 - still sick...blah.
    7/10 - heading out of town for a baseball tournament...still have a cold.
    7/11 - FINALLY! 3.5 miles on hotel treadmill (22.6 for month)
    7/12 - more baseball...son's team won 9 year-old state championship! Woo hoo!
    7/13 - 4 miles at 5:00 a.m., 81° and humid...air you can wear (26.6 for the month so far). Will catch up with everyone's weekend later today.
    7/14 - 5 miles, still pretty hot, but not as humid as yesterday. Because of all the missed days from illness, adjusting my goal down to 100.
    7/15 - 4.1 miles
    7/16 - rest day; had to take oldest son in for his well child check.
    exercise.png
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    briebee7 wrote: »

I agree with this. I personally don't take anything during training runs under 13-14 miles. I take water with nuun in it on runs longer than 10 miles usually. I do however take a honey stinger gel about 15 minutes before I do a long run. I am generally out the door between 6-6:30 (even on weekends). There is just no way I can get up earlier to eat real food before a run. If I am meetinig someone and starting later (7-7:30 range) then I will eat pb toast or a luna bar about an hour before I run.

I have to say though that on longer (16+) runs I love the honey stinger chews. I like that I can take just a few at a time and spread them out. Plus they taste good!
    At my speed, I need ~2 hours for 15km.
    Nibbling some gummy bears when I reach the halfway point has just become a habit somehow (just like getting some fruits or chocolate or tea at some point in the afternoon when I'm in the office - I'm pretty sure I don't need to "fuel" after two hours of sitting at a desk).

Sometimes I forget about it and the gummy bears stay in my pocket until I'm home, so I'm not sure if I would actually need them on my long runs. But I kinda like taking them anyway - they don't do any harm, and if I wasn't out running, I might munch them on the couch in front of the TV instead ;-)
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    7/1 - 2 miles
    7/2 - 3 miles
    7/4 - 4 miles
    7/5 - 6 miles
    7/8 - 4.7 miles
    7/9 - 2.3 miles
    7/12 - 3 miles
    7/13 - 3 miles
    7/15 - 4 miles

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    The sport beans are only 100 calories. They work great for me on the hot runs, even the 5+ mile ones. Which is about an hour any how. I think, since I have IBS I'm short on the vitamin B, and hot runs i need the electrolytes.

I'm for what ever works. My husband skips meals and will have a GU before a run.

It's hot again today. 94, but I'm headed out anyhow. Just gobbled cup of frozen blueberries!

Welcome to all the newbies!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Opted to do my speedwork (6x800s today) on a treadmill today due to non-stop rain, and heat. Judging by my heart rate, I picked a too slow of a pace (or didn't account that my prior speedwork was all done outdoors at 80+ degrees), but I'll figure things out over the next few weeks as I do more indoor training in the Florida heat/humidity.

7/1 - 6 miles
    7/2 - 6 miles (w. 0.25-0.5-0.75-mile-0.75-0.5-0.25 pyramid @ 1:45 pace)
    7/3 - 5 miles w. strides
    7/5 - 13 miles
    7/6 - 6.5 miles
    7/7 - 7 miles w. strides
    7/9 - 6 miles (w. 0.25-0.5-0.75-mile-0.75-0.5-0.25 pyramid @ 1:43 pace)
    7/10 - 6 miles
    7/11 - 5.5 miles
    7/12 - 10.5 miles
    7/13 - 8.5 miles
    7/14 - 5 miles
    7/15 - 4 miles
    7/16 - 5.5 miles (w. 6x800 @ 9mph w. 400 walk/jogs between each)

Total: 94.5 miles, 3 speedwork sessions
    Goal: 140 miles, 5 speedwork sessions
    Remaining: 45.5 miles, 2 speedwork sessions