Need help from fellow Vegetarians!!!

Options
I'm just starting my journey w/ not eating meat. I will eventually add back in chicken and fish after a few months, but right now I want to learn to eat and incorporate fruits/veggies/whole grains into my diet.

I need some help!

I need some snack ideas

I need to make sure im not going over on carbs

I need filling food ideas

helpppppppppppppp!

Replies

• B_TEEN
    B_TEEN Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    A healthy vegetarian diet should be robust in whole-food carbohydrates (fruits, legumes and whole grains). I'm not sure how you consume enough nurtrient-dense calories on a vegetarian diet while being low-carb.

Snack ideas...granola, fruit or fruit salad, veggies & hummus, tortillas-pico-guac, bean salads, whole grain bread or bagel with hummus or guac, handful of nuts or seeds.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Why are you going vegetarian for a few months and then adding meat back in? If you just want to incorporate more fruits and vegetables-do that. It'll make your life easier.

Have some rice with dinner, cook it with garlic and onions. Add some diced veggies on top when it's done. Or make whole wheat pasta. Put it in a marinara sauce, then load it with mushroom, extra tomatoes, garlic, whatever you like. Or just make a sandwich with some grain bread, add some spinach and tomatoes, and top with an avocado spread.

All of these options can have meat added-or a meat alternative such as dairy, soy, etc. Simple.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Why are you going vegetarian for a few months and then adding meat back in? If you just want to incorporate more fruits and vegetables-do that. It'll make your life easier.

Have some rice with dinner, cook it with garlic and onions. Add some diced veggies on top when it's done. Or make whole wheat pasta. Put it in a marinara sauce, then load it with mushroom, extra tomatoes, garlic, whatever you like. Or just make a sandwich with some grain bread, add some spinach and tomatoes, and top with an avocado spread.

All of these options can have meat added-or a meat alternative such as dairy, soy, etc. Simple.

This. Going vegetarian won't make you lose weight faster.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Eggs, seeds, beans, pulses and pea protein powder but I'm not a vegetarian so you might not want my opinion ;)
  • syrupspew
    syrupspew Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I enjoy curries and stir-fries, but those do not have to be vegetarian. I don't know if you eat eggs, but omelettes are an easy way to add veggies. If I eat fruit, it is usually just a piece of fruit or an apple with peanut butter.
  • greenrhino6
    greenrhino6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been vegetarian my entire life (being born into a fairly religious Hindu family). As above posters have said, going veggie won't necessarily make you lose weight faster. I have many overweight family and friends both veggie and non veggie alike. What is more important is a clean diet.
    Stay away from the processed fake-meats and fried foods. Low carb vegetarian diets are not the easiest thing to keep up. I would suggest not worrying about the amount of carbs (possibly a contentious point) but ensuring that the majority comes from healthy sources like whole grains/sweet potatoes/beans/pulses and not pastries/white flour products.

I've always done well when I do the following for keeping a clean diet:

Breakfast meals: (generally only one of these)
    - Porridge oats or Muesli
    - Scrambled eggs with veggies (or veggie loaded omelette)
    - Wholegrain Toast with avacado / egg and baked beans
    - Wholegrain Toast and fruit

Lunches and Dinners:
    - Vegetable curries with brown rice or chappatis/wholewheat wraps
    - Bean and veggie chilli with Jacket potato or rice and salad
    - Veggie stir-frys (vegetables, bean sprouts, tofu, chillies and soya sauce)
    - Falafel sandwiches/wraps (falafels not fried but baked or cooked on a hot pan)
    - Falafel and roasted Veg and salads
    - Roasted veg and rice/couscous
    - Pasta with a vegetable loaded tomato sauce
    - Baked/boiled/mash potatoes with veggies, salsas/gravies and salads
    - Veggie soups and bread (in the winter)

Snacks:
    - Fruits
    - Nuts and seeds (make sure you don't eat too much of these as it's very easy to underestimate how many calories are in them)
    - Veggies with salsa or hummus
    - Large salads (go easy with oily dressings - I prefer just balsamic vinegar or lemon juice or none at all) add nuts/olives/feta cheese/ a little couscous to make it more filling.
    - Small portions of the previous days leftovers

By consuming more bean and pulses and green/colourful veggies you can ensure that the carbs you eat will be nutritious and be coupled with healthy proteins. Learning to use different spices and herbs with the different dishes will give you a big variety in meals you can create with a relatively simple set of ingredients.

Making batches of bean & veggie chilli, veggie loaded pasta sauces, veggie curries and keeping them in the fridge/freezer can give you quick meals throughout the week where only wraps/rice/pasta/salads need to be made on the day.

My personal pitfalls are chocs, potato crisps(chips for you Americans) the more than occasional veggie pizza with a bit too much cheese and ready made vegetarian sandwiches/lunches when I am too lazy to make healthier choices. Also sometimes enjoying a beer or wine more often than I should. When I have too much of these coupled with large portions of the above, I find my weight creeping up. But when I eat sensible portions of the meal suggestions above I tend to do a lot better and have plenty of energy for running/exercise.

That was a longer post than I was intending but hopefully a useful view from a life long vegetarian!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    This is a bad idea. It's not particularly difficult to get adequate protein as a vegetarian (especially if you continue to eat eggs and dairy products), but it takes a LOT more planning ahead, you have a lot less flexibility (especially when it comes to eating out), and because your options are more limited it can get boring. This is what typically happens...

"Yay, I'm going to be a vegetarian and lose tons of weight!"
    The person cuts out meat but doesn't replace the protein/iron/vitamins (for example: people swap out burgers for portobellos. Yes, it functions like a burger in that you can eat it with ketchup and a bun, but it's a horrible substitute from a nutritional perspective, because you're not getting any of the nutrients that you're now missing because you're not eating the burger)
    After a few months, the person feels like hell, is tired, maybe a little anemic, or has possibly gained weight because cheese tastes good and has tons of calories
    "Boo, being a vegetarian made me unhealthy! I'm going to complain about that every time I meet another vegetarian!"

If you do this, research vegetarian protein options and map out a few typical days. Make sure you're willing to eat those things, in those quantities, before you cut out meat.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    A vegetarian diet includes carbs because vegetables have carbs.
    One low carb food that is high in protein is Seitan -- made from wheat gluten.
  • VeggieLyfe
    VeggieLyfe Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Just something I want to do. No reason, but I am loving it. I have more energy and sleep better since giving up meat, just having issues staying under my carbs and eating less sugar :( I'm eating a lot more veggies though!
  • VeggieLyfe
    Options

This. Going vegetarian won't make you lose weight faster.

Not about weight loss, something I chose to do to help with my digestion. Thanks tho!!
  • VeggieLyfe
    Options
    syrupspew wrote: »
    I enjoy curries and stir-fries, but those do not have to be vegetarian. I don't know if you eat eggs, but omelettes are an easy way to add veggies. If I eat fruit, it is usually just a piece of fruit or an apple with peanut butter.

Nice idea, Thank you! I love peanut butter!
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    VeggieLyfe wrote: »

Just something I want to do. No reason, but I am loving it. I have more energy and sleep better since giving up meat, just having issues staying under my carbs and eating less sugar :( I'm eating a lot more veggies though!

A vegetarian diet is inherently high carb/high sugar. I don't eat meat-so feel free to peak at my diary. I get about 100g of protein. But I am by no means low carb.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hmm I still don't get why going vegetarian if it's gonna be a short while thing, in that case just add a lot of veggies,nuts and stuff, I was a vegetarian for 13 years,now vegan for 2, it has little to do with weight and stuff, you gotta work that butt to get in shape,also mind what you eat.

:3
    low carb xD not gonna happen unless you eat only eggs
  • VeggieLyfe
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    This is a bad idea. It's not particularly difficult to get adequate protein as a vegetarian (especially if you continue to eat eggs and dairy products), but it takes a LOT more planning ahead, you have a lot less flexibility (especially when it comes to eating out), and because your options are more limited it can get boring. This is what typically happens...

"Yay, I'm going to be a vegetarian and lose tons of weight!"
    The person cuts out meat but doesn't replace the protein/iron/vitamins (for example: people swap out burgers for portobellos. Yes, it functions like a burger in that you can eat it with ketchup and a bun, but it's a horrible substitute from a nutritional perspective, because you're not getting any of the nutrients that you're now missing because you're not eating the burger)
    After a few months, the person feels like hell, is tired, maybe a little anemic, or has possibly gained weight because cheese tastes good and has tons of calories
    "Boo, being a vegetarian made me unhealthy! I'm going to complain about that every time I meet another vegetarian!"

If you do this, research vegetarian protein options and map out a few typical days. Make sure you're willing to eat those things, in those quantities, before you cut out meat.

I'm just not sure why you all are posting against a decision I made rather
    I have been vegetarian my entire life (being born into a fairly religious Hindu family). As above posters have said, going veggie won't necessarily make you lose weight faster. I have many overweight family and friends both veggie and non veggie alike. What is more important is a clean diet.
    Stay away from the processed fake-meats and fried foods. Low carb vegetarian diets are not the easiest thing to keep up. I would suggest not worrying about the amount of carbs (possibly a contentious point) but ensuring that the majority comes from healthy sources like whole grains/sweet potatoes/beans/pulses and not pastries/white flour products.

I've always done well when I do the following for keeping a clean diet:

Breakfast meals: (generally only one of these)
    - Porridge oats or Muesli
    - Scrambled eggs with veggies (or veggie loaded omelette)
    - Wholegrain Toast with avacado / egg and baked beans
    - Wholegrain Toast and fruit

Lunches and Dinners:
    - Vegetable curries with brown rice or chappatis/wholewheat wraps
    - Bean and veggie chilli with Jacket potato or rice and salad
    - Veggie stir-frys (vegetables, bean sprouts, tofu, chillies and soya sauce)
    - Falafel sandwiches/wraps (falafels not fried but baked or cooked on a hot pan)
    - Falafel and roasted Veg and salads
    - Roasted veg and rice/couscous
    - Pasta with a vegetable loaded tomato sauce
    - Baked/boiled/mash potatoes with veggies, salsas/gravies and salads
    - Veggie soups and bread (in the winter)

Snacks:
    - Fruits
    - Nuts and seeds (make sure you don't eat too much of these as it's very easy to underestimate how many calories are in them)
    - Veggies with salsa or hummus
    - Large salads (go easy with oily dressings - I prefer just balsamic vinegar or lemon juice or none at all) add nuts/olives/feta cheese/ a little couscous to make it more filling.
    - Small portions of the previous days leftovers

By consuming more bean and pulses and green/colourful veggies you can ensure that the carbs you eat will be nutritious and be coupled with healthy proteins. Learning to use different spices and herbs with the different dishes will give you a big variety in meals you can create with a relatively simple set of ingredients.

Making batches of bean & veggie chilli, veggie loaded pasta sauces, veggie curries and keeping them in the fridge/freezer can give you quick meals throughout the week where only wraps/rice/pasta/salads need to be made on the day.

My personal pitfalls are chocs, potato crisps(chips for you Americans) the more than occasional veggie pizza with a bit too much cheese and ready made vegetarian sandwiches/lunches when I am too lazy to make healthier choices. Also sometimes enjoying a beer or wine more often than I should. When I have too much of these coupled with large portions of the above, I find my weight creeping up. But when I eat sensible portions of the meal suggestions above I tend to do a lot better and have plenty of energy for running/exercise.

That was a longer post than I was intending but hopefully a useful view from a life long vegetarian!

Thank you!!!! This is super great!
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    There is doing a vegetarian diet well, and there is doing it badly. Just as someone can have a bad diet while eating meat. The meat or lack of does not make the diet healthy or unhealthy. Proper balance of macro and micro nutrients is the key.

A few years ago I woke up one day and had no desire to eat meat, no reason I can point to I just stopped craving it. I still eat dairy, eggs and fish. I can't fully call myself a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian, because I do occasionally still have meat. That tends to be limited to special occasions like an anniversary dinner at a high end restaurant or eating at someones house that may not know I prefer vegetarian and prepares something with meat.

Finding good recipes is simple as typing "Vegetarian Food Blog" into google. My favorites are:

http://ohmyveggies.com/
    http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/
    http://cookieandkate.com/
    http://naturallyella.com/

Once you get going, you start to learn more about alternative protein sources and how to take a recipe with meat, and replacing the chicken, beef, etc with something else.

My favorite proteins are: lentils, chickpeas, tofu, and tempeh.

I am not at a place where I pay close attention to carbs, my focus is still at getting my calories under control. Pop a few recipes into the recipe calculator and take a peek if they meet your dietary goals.
  • nelliaj
    nelliaj Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm working on becoming vegetarian then vegan. I am looking for friends for support. Add me???
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    There is doing a vegetarian diet well, and there is doing it badly. Just as someone can have a bad diet while eating meat. The meat or lack of does not make the diet healthy or unhealthy. Proper balance of macro and micro nutrients is the key.

A few years ago I woke up one day and had no desire to eat meat, no reason I can point to I just stopped craving it. I still eat dairy, eggs and fish. I can't fully call myself a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian, because I do occasionally still have meat. That tends to be limited to special occasions like an anniversary dinner at a high end restaurant or eating at someones house that may not know I prefer vegetarian and prepares something with meat.

Finding good recipes is simple as typing "Vegetarian Food Blog" into google. My favorites are:

http://ohmyveggies.com/
    http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/
    http://cookieandkate.com/
    http://naturallyella.com/

Once you get going, you start to learn more about alternative protein sources and how to take a recipe with meat, and replacing the chicken, beef, etc with something else.

My favorite proteins are: lentils, chickpeas, tofu, and tempeh.

I am not at a place where I pay close attention to carbs, my focus is still at getting my calories under control. Pop a few recipes into the recipe calculator and take a peek if they meet your dietary goals.

Great advice here.

It is possible to do a lower-carb vegetarian diet, but maybe think of swapping in fats as well as proteins for processed carbs. Nuts and seeds, as well as avocado have lots of healthy fats and help you feel full. I personally like chickpeas, beans, lentils and tempeh as protein sources.

And I agree about avoiding faux-meats, sausages etc. They have very little protein in and are basically full of processed carbs.
  • VeggieLyfe
    Options
    Hmm I still don't get why going vegetarian if it's gonna be a short while thing, in that case just add a lot of veggies,nuts and stuff, I was a vegetarian for 13 years,now vegan for 2, it has little to do with weight and stuff, you gotta work that butt to get in shape,also mind what you eat.

:3
    low carb xD not gonna happen unless you eat only eggs

I never said low carb. I just want to go over my daily carbs that mfp gives me the way I've been doing. I love the decision I've made and I feel better already. I'm excited to try new things and if it works out, great for me! Thanks for the support :)
  • VeggieLyfe
    Options
    Thank you for all the helpful replies that answered my original question :)
  • jeneticir
    jeneticir Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am vegan myself- it's the healthiest way in my experience. Protein is not the problem people say it is, take a walk into your local hospital and ask for the protein deficiency wing... you won't find one.

Here are some samples of what I eat:

Breakfast Options:
    Oatmeal swirled with almond butter and some hemp milk
    Cornflakes with walnuts topped with almond milk
    Fresh fruit blended with chia seeds, almond butter, and cashew milk

Lunches:
    Peanut Butter and Banana sandwich
    Lentil tacos
    Sofritas bowl from Chipotle
    Spinach salad topped with strawberries, orange slices, pecans, pepitas and vinaigrette

Dinner:
    Veggie burgers topped with sauteed mushrooms and onions
    Grilled tofu served over quinoa with roasted kale
    Black Bean burritos

For great recipes look here: www.theppk.com