for those of you who don't like to hear "buy a scale and weigh"

Options

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Bearbo27 wrote: »
    I personally don't understand how some get by without a scale... <snip>

You log honestly and consistently to the best of your ability and adjust your eating up or down depending on your results. It also helps to include behavioral changes (that are unpopular on MFP) like less snacking, no desserts or more activity. People have been dieting successfully for thousands of years without a food scale, MFP, FitBits and the like -- they can be helpful but it's not the only way. Or even the best way for everyone.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I had one of my overweight friends over and she saw how I weighed everything before I ate it and she told me, "Uh I would rather be fat."
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    I had one of my overweight friends over and she saw how I weighed everything before I ate it and she told me, "Uh I would rather be fat."

and she will probably stay that way... once it becomes routine the extra min or 2 flies by!
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    @stevencloser that is genuinely terrifying, oh my god. I can't purchase a food scale (or even a person scale lol) because I live with my family. They would see weighing the dinner they give me as being offensive. I suppose opting out of things like chips, salad dressings, and pie would maybe make it easier to guess. I log my almonds by number, like 12 almonds. I definitely do eyeball the 1% milk in my morning tea. But there are things I just can't know, like how much butter was in the pan when my dad was frying lentil burgers, and how much got on my specific one. I just don't know. He doesn't know. He won't measure.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    A scale is great, what would be even better is if all the foods in the database were in grams.
  • SharonBrobst
    SharonBrobst Posts: 62 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

You log honestly and consistently to the best of your ability and adjust your eating up or down depending on your results. It also helps to include behavioral changes (that are unpopular on MFP) like less snacking, no desserts or more activity. People have been dieting successfully for thousands of years without a food scale, MFP, FitBits and the like -- they can be helpful but it's not the only way. Or even the best way for everyone.

Yes and thank you! Totally agree!!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I was really hesitant to get one -- I was afraid it would cause some of my food issues to wake back up -- but my whole life changed when I realized that using a scale means never having to wash measuring cups and spoons.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    I like weighing my food. I feel like a scientist.

(I'm being silly. It is fun for me though!)

me too. I get excited when I get it right too. Today i perfectly got 50 grams of banana and cut exactly 3 oz of chicken breast last night. Its like a victory haha!

This is so funny, I feel the same way, especially about cutting chicken breast. Last night I was disappointed in myself because I was wayyyy off - thought I had it down. :)

I bought an Ozeri digital scale - it works great, and it's pretty on my counter:

9ifmxf8baacz.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Epicurean-Removable-Weighing-Platform/dp/B005WLPVUG
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    People just love dirtying a thousand measuring cups a day. I don't get it...
  • KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Yes and thank you! Totally agree!!

Some people just wont listen no matter how many times they hear it.
    Sure, people have lost weight without a scale, but having a scale makes it SOOO much easier. Plus, people made it for a long time without smart phones, but does that mean we don't use them to make our lives easier now that we have that technology?
    Less snacking? No desserts? More activity? Sure, I do those things even with a scale, but I can allow myself a few snacks, a cupcake, and skipping a run because I know EXACTLY what I'm putting in my body and I don't have to make up for those calories that could be off.
  • FinntheVeggie
    FinntheVeggie Posts: 74 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Weighing food is great if you're into it, and I've heard it can be quite effective. But I'm against marketing it as the cure-all solution to your diet.

Because if you're like me, you don't want to diet forever. And even though weighing your food for a few months sounds bearable, you're not willing to do it for the rest of your life. So instead, even though it's not as precise and you may eat slightly more or slightly less calories than you write down, you learn to control your portions yourself and make lifelong changes in the way you think about eating. You won't lose exactly one-and-three-quarters of a pound for week or whatever you planned, but once the weight comes off you're not so likely to gain it again because you went right back to not measuring and choosing your portions the way you did before.

Not that all measurers gain the weight back or all those who don't measure don't, that's naturally not true at all, but my argument is that there are pros and cons of both techniques and I don't think we should be telling people they are wrong for choosing one way or another.
  • fishshark
    Options
    Weighing food is great if you're into it, and I've heard it can be quite effective. But I'm against marketing it as the cure-all solution to your diet.

Because if you're like me, you don't want to diet forever. And even though weighing your food for a few months sounds bearable, you're not willing to do it for the rest of your life. So instead, even though it's not as precise and you may eat slightly more or slightly less calories than you write down, you learn to control your portions yourself and make lifelong changes in the way you think about eating. You won't lose exactly one-and-three-quarters of a pound for week or whatever you planned, but once the weight comes off it's more likely to stay off because you went right back to not measuring and choosing your portions the way you did before.

Not that all measurers gain the weight back or all those who don't measure don't, that's naturally not true at all, but my argument is that there are pros and cons of both techniques and I don't think we should be telling people they are wrong for choosing one way or another.

i think the point is maybe some of us will and want to do it forever. I defiantly am not dieting... and hate the word. Yesterday I had pizza and fried chicken and popcorn with some ice cream. The scale allows me to enjoy those things without over eating. I am already getting great at eye balling and in a year or so Il be abe to eyeball enough for maintenance. Maybe I will weigh forever. It takes less time that it takes for me to pee and I spend a lot of time watching tv. This is a lifestyle not a diet... I'm ok with that.. some people are not thats great. What i am saying is the vast majority of people are over eating and weighing takes that away.
  • JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am one of the non-weighers/measurers BUT 1. I am very accurate eyeballing food portions, not for weight loss purposes, just cooking (it takes many decades of experience) and 2. I am getting weight loss results.

You can be sure that if I weren't getting results I would not be wondering why, I would be going straight to double check that my eyeballing sensor hasn't gone awry by measuring and weighing most of my food. I say most because I have never measured nor will I ever measure greens and most vegetables. Nobody got fat eating too much spinach.

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

yes, except the majority of those people ultimately lapse back into eating the snacks, the desserts, etc. People don't like giving up foods. Eating in moderation, enjoying foods you actually like, is much easier to do, and taking 60 seconds to weigh the food before eating it is not a hassle. Ultimately, developing a lifelong habit of weighing foods and logging them, and maintaining a healthy weight, is much more satisfying than a short term of deprivation, hitting goal weight, and then sliding back into eating 'forbidden' foods and regaining weight.

people lived for thousands of years without medical advancements, too, but live longer and happier with them. Technological advancements like food scales- same thing.
  • fishshark
    Options
    JudithNYC wrote: »
    I am one of the non-weighers/measurers BUT 1. I am very accurate eyeballing food portions, not for weight loss purposes, just cooking (it takes many decades of experience) and 2. I am getting weight loss results.

You can be sure that if I weren't getting results I would not be wondering why, I would be going straight to double check that my eyeballing sensor hasn't gone awry by measuring and weighing most of my food. I say most because I have never measured nor will I ever measure greens and most vegetables. Nobody got fat eating too much spinach.

exactly this post was for the people not losing and refusing/not willing to get a scale. If you can eyeball and lose thats amazing!
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I am planning on weighing my food, counting calories, and logging for the rest of my life. I have already had half of a life not being able to eyeball or keep track of my intake in my head. I want the last years to be easier. I enjoy collecting data.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I am planning on weighing my food, counting calories, and logging for the rest of my life. I have already had half of a life not being able to eyeball or keep track of my intake in my head. I want the last years to be easier. I enjoy collecting data.

This. it's the key to success!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

yes, except the majority of those people ultimately lapse back into eating the snacks, the desserts, etc. People don't like giving up foods. Eating in moderation, enjoying foods you actually like, is much easier to do, and taking 60 seconds to weigh the food before eating it is not a hassle. Ultimately, developing a lifelong habit of weighing foods and logging them, and maintaining a healthy weight, is much more satisfying than a short term of deprivation, hitting goal weight, and then sliding back into eating 'forbidden' foods and regaining weight.

people lived for thousands of years without medical advancements, too, but live longer and happier with them. Technological advancements like food scales- same thing.

You don't get to decide what other people like, what they find easier, what their lifelong habits should be, what's more satisfying or even what deprivation is. Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

• fishshark
    Options

yup! i see it as no hassle.