Caffeine fix without a ton of sugar/calories

Options
2»

Replies

• IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'd be worried of the baby getting too much caffeine...I took magnesium and b-12 and when I needed energy when I was pregnant and when I breastfed...
  • adriaticsea
    adriaticsea Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of any sort of frappuccino but the sugar/calorie intake from most are just killer. I've started making my own at home and it's been working really well as an afternoon pick-me-up.

Here's what I'm working with:

1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1-2 tablespoons of instant coffee (currently using africafe)
    2 1/2 stevias
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon hershey's chocolate syrup

Comes out to about 60 calories and less than 5 grams of sugar :)
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I hate coffee (and most coffee drinks unless they are basically milk, sugar and flavor with a drop of coffee), and I gave up cola for the most part (I would rather save those calories for ice cream and I can't stand the taste of any diet cola), and to me tea never really had any sort of caffeine kick, so I ended up getting some penguin mints (cinnamints actually) - three are equal to a can of cola's worth of caffeine, and they are yummy, and like 5 calories for 1 serving (or for 1 mint - I have seen it both ways, and honestly 10 calories off a day I can live with). I just have to make sure to put them away after 3 (sometimes 6) because they are very tasty. I ordered mine on amazon (because I bought them in bulk since it is cheaper) but you can do a search for penguin mints to find them (they have mint, chocolate mint (not as good as you would hope) and cinnamon, and I think I remember there being another flavor but it sounding weird - it has been a while since I ordered). I like them because 1) they taste good and 2) since 3 = 1 can of cola I can space them out, kind of like drinking the cola through the day.

I will admit to having a cola once in a while, but I do try to fit it into my calories (and it is usually on weekends, I save the mints for weekdays).
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you're breastfeeding or not (caffeine will go to the baby), but if you are, be mindful of the levels you take in. One option not discussed yet is caffeine powder and, among other things, hand sanitizer. Mixed into a bottle of hand sanitizer, a few squirts can give just the right pick me up.
  • SweetDesiderata
    SweetDesiderata Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    chriscolh wrote: »
    I love the crystal light energy drink packets. (Actually, to be honest, I like Walmart's great value generic brand even more!) One packet is 10 calories, 120 mg caffeine. The packets are made to be poured into a 16.9 oz water bottle, but I use them in my 32 oz water bottle. Keeps me hydrated, gives me a little bit of an extra kick, and satisfies my sweet tooth without going overboard.
    Good luck!

I do this exact same thing, but with the Winn-Dixie brand. 1 packet in a big 32 ounce cup of water. Works great for me!
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Coffee with unsweetened almond milk and splenda, for me! It takes some adjustment, but you can acquire a taste for coffee without all the sugar and cream.
    And I don't need/want any lectures about using splenda. I've done the research and I've read all the articles. I still use it in my coffee, and I'm not eating it by the pound. :smiley:
  • seekingbetterme
    seekingbetterme Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use the Folgers Iced Café Vanilla Latte Flavored Coffee Drink Concentrate (kind of like the Crystal Light liquid stuff, only it's coffee) with 8oz of unsweetened almond milk! The milk is only 30 calories and the concentrate only adds another 5-10 calories. Sometimes I'll double the milk/concentrate and have a "medium" size vanilla latte for only 80 calories :smile:
  • cristical
    cristical Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The only thing that helped me pull away from sodas with a strong caffiene and sugar addiction was this. Somehow..I made it haha 450.jpg
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Coffee is:
    1) An acquired taste
    2) Requires good coffee to drink black at first

Good coffee, when black, is comparable to dark chocolate. The swill you get in grocery stores is barely palatable black, after acquiring the taste.

So, choke it down for a while. You'll start to appreciate it on it's own :)
  • Serena795
    Serena795 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yerba Mate is great. I agree with coreyreichie here--if you're going to drink black coffee, that coffee had better be damn good. As in French Press/pour-over good.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    cristical wrote: »
    The only thing that helped me pull away from sodas with a strong caffiene and sugar addiction was this. Somehow..I made it haha 450.jpg
    They also make a version of these with caffeine. My preferred method of caffeine intake. Plus, 0 calories!
  • agirlcalledrinn
    agirlcalledrinn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    1 cup republic of tea high caf tea
    1 cup fresh fruit
    1 cup frozen fruit
    1 cup greens
    blend
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Good quality coffee and a splash of cream.

Same here. Tiny calorie hit, lots of flavour.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I'm a new mom of a 2 month old, I work 10 hour days, and my husband is deployed so I don't have help. I NEED caffeine to fibrin on normal human level. My problem is I don't like coffee unless it's 90% cream, energy drinks have way too much caffeine, and right now my caffeine fix is soda which just packs on calories and sugar. I am up to try something different with coffee it just can't contain dairy (my son gets sick when I eat it) but I'm okay using soy or almond milk.

Almond milk is 98% water, but coffee with soy milk is delicious.

Personally, I prefer coffee with Coffee Mate or milk (about 100 kj each.) Coffee Mate is creamier, but I learned to love coffee without sugar by drinking it with milk.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    If you want to drink it black, start with a better quality mellow roast. Or flavored coffee, like Don Francisco. Personally, I drink coffee and tea with splenda and don't feel it's too bitter (I generally drink whatever's on sale).
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    non dairy sugar free powdered creamer does the trick.