eating every 2 hours is it necessary

Options
13»

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Trust me guys... i like to eat when i m hungry...i dont like to eat every 2 or 3 hours...yea i will try what u all have said..splitting my czlories in 3 big meals

You may have to experiment a bit to find a system that works for you. If one way of splitting the calories up leaves you hungry at certain times, then you simply adjust to it. If you're finding three big meals isn't working, try adding a couple of snacks and taking a little off each meal.

And it doesn't have to be the same every day. My work day eating habits different from my off-work days. I don't want to be eating at my desk all day, so I adjust my lunch to fit with that so I won't get hungry until after I get home. And on off-days, when I'm home all day, I can eat when I want, so I tend to eat more smaller meals as that seems to work better for me.
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    No, eating every 2-3 hours isn't necessary to lose fat. Some people eat frequent small meals in order to feel satiated, but that is a matter of personal prefrence, not a necessity. On some days, I eat a few larger meals many hours apart. On other days I eat small meals or snacks every 3 or 4 hours. It all depends on how hungry I am. If you eat at a deficit you will lose weight, including fat. In my experience, it doesn't really matter how many meals you consume or what time of day or how many hours apart you consume them, it all comes down to CICO.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Is it necessary to eat every 2 or 3 hours..to loose fat...anybody here who lost fat witjout eating every 2 or 3 hours...

No, it's not necessary. How could it be when people who have literally nothing to eat end up looking so skinny?

Ya but then they say u store fats...
    Some people eat once a day and lose weight.
    As long as you eat less food than you used to eat, you will lose weight.

Your body stores fat when you eat over your calorie limit.
    It does not care when you eat because is working for you twenty-four/seven.

Ya but i do only dairy rich teas and coffess whole day and eat only at night...then too i m noy loosing any weiggt..i alsso do weight trainjng
    What are you putting in those 'dairy rich' beverages? Plain milk? Condensed milk? Any other kind of sugar? Those calories can really add up and could destroy your deficit if you're eating a lot in the evening as well.
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    nope lol i fast all day and only eat in the evenings,and some how i
    magically lose weight
    must be that calorie deficit thing everyone keeps talking about
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Not necessary.
    If you like snacking frequently, make it fit your calorie goal.

I have always heard it's good to eat every two hours because it keeps your metabolism going.
    Stop & think about this a second...
    Do you die overnight, because you don't eat every 2 hours? No?
    Then your metabolism keeps going. If it didn't, you'd be dead.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    That depends.

Do you find that you able to stick to your diet easier eating smaller more frequent meals? Then yes it is necessary for you.

Do you find that eating a huge dinner leaves you feeling more satisfied than the tiny "meals"? Then no, it's not necessary for you.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote:
    How could it be when people who have literally nothing to eat end up looking so skinny?
    :sigh:
    LOOK at what he wrote. When people have nothing to eat, they're skinny.
    If the body held onto calories when it wasn't getting enough food, famine wouldn't be a problem.
    Neither would anorexia.
    It sounds like you're parroting part of the "starvation mode" myth.
    Go read that essay, at that link.

When you have a calorie deficit (you're taking in less than your body needs to run) you will
    lose weight because your body has to pull the energy calories from somewhere.
    It prefers glucose (blood sugar),
    then it takes glycogen (stored form of carbs),
    then fat,
    and as a last resort, muscle.

Yes, you burn all of these all the time, in some quantity, but that's mostly the order they're pulled.
    "Starvation mode" is when you are out of everything else & start burning muscle.
    It's a hail Mary, hoping that you'll find food before your heart or diaphragm gives out & you die.
    It's also a waste of calories to convert muscle to energy, it 'costs' a lot more than glucose or fat
    or glycogen.

i do only dairy rich teas and coffess whole day and eat only at night...
    then too i m noy loosing any weiggt..i alsso do weight trainjng
    Autocorrect is really doing a number on your typing...

If you're not losing weight, you're eating more than you're burning.
    Doesn't matter when you eat it or how often or where the calories come from (junk food or healthy).
    Maybe if you ate nutritious, filling real food (heavy on the fruits, veggies, and lean protein) at
    your regular mealtimes, you would feel less hungry & take in fewer calories & lose weight.
    How much dairy are you putting in your tea & coffee? Do you measure it & log it? How about sugar?

You're probably not going to build muscle while losing weight. The most you can hope for is to
    maintain what you currently have. To preserve what muscle you have, get a higher % of your calories
    from protein (the upper healthy limit is 35%) & do progressively more challenging weightlifting.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I was an every 2hr eater when I was losing but it was more about keeping my cravings in check than any weird magical effect. I found that if I knew I could have something else in just a little while I wouldn't give in to the momentary temptation. That's not magic its a personal strategy. To lose weight you have to eat less than you burn. The only effective way to make a dent in what you burn is to exercise excessively, more than you are probably willing to do for less calories than you think. Focus on eating fewer calories and spending those calories on things that fill you up rather than things that feed your emotional dependance on food.
  • Merpig2015
    Merpig2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If I ate every 2-3 hours I'd probably still be almost 400 pounds, as well as blood sugar through the roof. I lost 100 pounds on a low carb diet, just eating standard 3 meals a day, with an occasional snack. But then I stalled (with still quite a bit more to lose!). I mean a *five year* stall.

But I figured at 100 pounds down I was still ahead of the game. But then, with no change in diet, the scale began inching up again to the tune of 25 pounds this past year.

So this time around I'm still in the lower carb camp, but combined with intermittent fasting, only eating in a 2-5 hour window daily. Down 14 pounds this month! Also incorporating JUDDD with 500 calories or less on alternate days.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Is it necessary to eat every 2 or 3 hours..to loose fat...anybody here who lost fat witjout eating every 2 or 3 hours...

No, it's not necessary. How could it be when people who have literally nothing to eat end up looking so skinny?

Some people eat once a day and lose weight.
    As long as you eat less food than you used to eat, you will lose weight.

Your body stores fat when you eat over your calorie limit.
    It does not care when you eat because is working for you twenty-four/seven.

Ya but i do only dairy rich teas and coffess whole day and eat only at night...then too i m noy loosing any weiggt..i alsso do weight trainjng
    What are you putting in those 'dairy rich' beverages? Plain milk? Condensed milk? Any other kind of sugar? Those calories can really add up and could destroy your deficit if you're eating a lot in the evening as well.

yes full fat milk and sugar
    Ok, so say you're adding roughly 1/4 cup milk and 3tsp sugar to each of your cups of tea - that's around 90 calories, which doesn't sound that much, but if you're drinking a lot of them throughout the day...
    Do you measure and log all those drinks? Fit them into your calorie allowance?
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Per the article I read in the August FitnessRX Hers, it is not necessary. How often you eat does not (according to the researchers) affect your metabolizem one way or the other. What it boils down to is personal preferance--if you're comfortable eating four to six meals a day fine or if you're comfortable eating three meals a day fine. Just make sure you are eating enough. I usually eat three meals a day with a small snack in between lunch & dinner. B)
  • marcae70
    marcae70 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Total myth. Calories in = Calories out.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

How can you store fats if you aren't eating any food?

The whole thing is ridiculous.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

How can you store fats if you aren't eating any food?

The whole thing is ridiculous.

If u dont eat anything definitely body will store fats for survival of future..

tumblr_inline_njm32pCMdG1qczs0e.gif

No. Just no.