Can't seem to lose any weight!!!!! Please help!!!!

Options
So for the last month I've been watching my caloric intake and exercise, but the weight just isn't coming off. I weigh my food and sometimes even around up. I run in the morning and lift weights at night. I just don't understand why I don't see it in the scale.

Can someone give me some ideas on what to change? My diary and profile are open.

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing you aren't at a deficit which means you are eating more than you think your not burning as many calories as you think. Maybe you already know this. You say you are weighing your food but there are a lot of cup type measurements for stuff that can't be measured in cups very well.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    When you say "the weight just isn't coming off" - do you mean at all or just not as fast as you'd like?

Maybe someone who uses an activity tracker can take a look at your exercise diary and see if that calorie adjustment entry looks correct. That's the only thing that jumps out at me, but I don't use one so can't advise.

Usually other people's food diaries depress me, but not yours :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Start weighing your food (cups aren't accurate). Additionally your exercise burns are VERY high. How are you coming up with these?
  • summer21forever
    summer21forever Posts: 61 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Start weighing your food (cups aren't accurate). Additionally your exercise burns are VERY high. How are you coming up with these?

I use a running app, my phone and the stuff on MFP. I do run about 3-5 miles a day at about 9:15min per mile and I do work out about 1 1/2hrs a night. I also work at a hospital so I walk a ton. I also use a food scale. But thanks for the advise.
  • summer21forever
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    When you say "the weight just isn't coming off" - do you mean at all or just not as fast as you'd like?

Maybe someone who uses an activity tracker can take a look at your exercise diary and see if that calorie adjustment entry looks correct. That's the only thing that jumps out at me, but I don't use one so can't advise.

Usually other people's food diaries depress me, but not yours :)

I mean it isn't coming off at all. I weigh exactly the same as when I started. 161.4.
    Thanks about the food diary. I work hard at eating healthy.
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I noticed in your exercise diary that you have a fitness tracker calorie adjustment and you're logging circuit training and running/jogging. Could it be that you're double counting calories burned?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

I use a running app, my phone and the stuff on MFP. I do run about 3-5 miles a day at about 9:15min per mile and I do work out about 1 1/2hrs a night. I also work at a hospital so I walk a ton. I also use a food scale. But thanks for the advise.

Okay, I get the running part, but t

Okay with an activity tracker (this is what I have, thus the question) all exercise is recorded through there, with negative calorie adjustments enabled. Most of the exercises are overestimated, so if you eat back all calories, that will throw you off.
    On the scale part, looking at your diary, you have cups etc, when they should be weighed, (overestimation will cause you not to be in a deficit).
    As far as the walking part of work, that is should be accounted for in your activity level.
    Is the exercising new? New exercise can cause one to retain water, thus masking a loss.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Either start weighing the food or drop the calories by 100every two weeks until you start losing.

It can take time. Adjustments need to made as you go.

Don't give up!! It will start coming off! :)
  • summer21forever
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I noticed in your exercise diary that you have a fitness tracker calorie adjustment and you're logging circuit training and running/jogging. Could it be that you're double counting calories burned?

I fixed that :smile: for a while I was and I had to keep fixing it, but it's all situated now. My apps feed into my fitness tracker when I use them. When I'm at the gym and doing my weighs and circuits I don't use my phone or apps. Just MFP entries.
  • JDAZ32
    JDAZ32 Posts: 13 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    What does your reps and weight consist of? You might be replacing fat with muscle...
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing you aren't in deficit. You are either over estimating what you burn (either baseline burn or exercise) or under estimating what you eat. Those are the only things that can be happening.
  • love2lift_85
    love2lift_85 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurements? Measure your waist, hips, etc. and see if there are any changes after 4 weeks. If you're lifting a lot you may be putting on muscle and losing fat, which means the scale may not move much. Just a thought!
  • ellicole
    ellicole Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Keep trying
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I did see some stuff in your diary that looks to be measured in cups when it should be weighed. E.g, you have a cup of frozen strawberries. Those should be weighed because the weight can change from cup to cup depending on the size of the strawberries. There are a lot of those examples. How does one even measure an 1/8 cup of grape tomatoes?

Make sure you're also verifying the entries you're picking from the database. I like to bump the stats up against the USDA values. http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search
  • JDAZ32
    JDAZ32 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurements? Measure your waist, hips, etc. and see if there are any changes after 4 weeks. If you're lifting a lot you may be putting on muscle and losing fat, which means the scale may not move much. Just a thought!

My thoughts too!
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    triciab79 wrote: »
    If you aren't losing you aren't in deficit. You are either over estimating what you burn (either baseline burn or exercise) or under estimating what you eat. Those are the only things that can be happening.

QFT
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    JDAZ32 wrote: »

My thoughts too!

It doesn't really work like that. Recomp happens slowly over a long period of time. It's far more likely that OP is not eating at the deficit she thinks she is.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

Ahhh Nope, sorry.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    JDAZ32 wrote: »
    What does your reps and weight consist of? You might be replacing fat with muscle...
    you dont replace fat with muscle. it doesnt work that way

• triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    She is burning hundreds of calories with exercise. I am in shape, I work out 5 days a week and do 1.5hrs of cardio per day 4mph at a 15% incline I do not calculate anywhere near the calories she estimates she burns. I think that is where the problem is. You should only count at most 50% of the calories the system tells you you burned. In addition the stuff you do everyday like your job do not count as exercise, they are built into your base allotment.