Cheat Day, not that enjoyable and now feeling sick?

Options
rhalso
rhalso Posts: 3 Member
This is my first real planned cheat day after a week of perfect diet and good results
BUT… I did not enjoy it that much, all the food I used to crave was not as good as i thought it would be and now, I feel sick and bloated.

Do you feel that way about your cheat days sometimes ?

Replies

• DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I fit the foods I want into my goals, no matter the day. So cheat days are not something I partake in.
  • eshnna
    eshnna Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Why cheat days? :#
  • Jacqui_Runs
    Jacqui_Runs Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yes I feel like that sometimes. I purposely try not to fry anything, for example, because the calories are not worth it to me. But I LOVE crunchy buffalo wings and French fries, but when I had it, the oil made me a little nauseous. There could be a lot of reasons for that, I know, but it makes me sad. Instead I'll have hard shell tacos, so I still get my crunch.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me. That's why now I fit those foods into my goals and occasionally have a "less aggressive deficit day". Which means +500 for me.
  • tdr82
    tdr82 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I will try an fit into my macros each time and like others will let it slide if I feel like something. As long as it isn't to often it just becomes a "floating" cheat meal. No point having a cheat day if you don't actually feel like it.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    No cheat days for me, If I want something I just fit it into my daily calories.
  • RedPanda85
    RedPanda85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem when I break character in my new lifestyle. It's actually a nice reminder. I started seeing a dietician and asked her to recommend healthy (or heathier at least) alternatives to a couple of my very favorite foods. It's worth trying out. I.e., I love brownies... She emailed me a recipe for black bean brownies and suggested I add some espresso to it BC I love coffee so much. Or frozen yogurt instead of my favorite Ben and Jerrys pints. But I definitely hear you. My tummy is so angry at me when I eat something over processed or very fatty.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    It does happen, I have cheat meals,once a week or so, but it's like, nothing too "bad" cos I am not used to that anymore nor do I want it. so my idea of a cheat meal is ...like chocolate ice cream,the kind with no milk and with a 72% of cacao xD
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    They say that cheaters never prosper. I don't have cheat days per se, I have impromptu "I'm sick and tired of dieting and I'm gonna eat whatever I want" days.

But I don't beat myself over it. In fact, I usually enjoy it quite a lot. And then start again.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days but I do plan calories to indulge with sometimes. Many times it's not even worth it because nothing seems to taste as good as I think it's going to.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you didn't like it. Maybe stop doing 'cheat days'? :)
  • brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have cheat days and they work for me. I have just learned to know what to expect - that some foods aren't going to taste as good as I remember, that I will possibly feel full a lot faster than I would expect (these days I quit eating when I hit that mark to avoid discomfort), and I usually carry around 1 - 3 pounds of water weight for at least 2 - 3 days afterward. Most here seem to discourage cheat days and I definitely understand the rationale behind their thinking, but for me personally, having that day to step away and not put much thought into what I'm eating acts as a sort of reset for the next week, plus it makes me happy and helps me keep focused on my goal (as counter-productive as it may seem).
  • jlf1978
    jlf1978 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Instead of a cheat day, try a cheat meal once or twice a week, I promise you won't feel crappy.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days, I just plan ahead if I'm going to have something I want so I can fit it into my day. I also bank my calories on a weekly basis. The only food I really eat a lot less of is pizza, which I'm not to crazy about to begin with so it's not a huge sacrifice. I will also add more activity if I know I'm going to be eating more for a party or cookout.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I don't really call them "cheat days", but I have a meal every now and again where I eat things that usually aren't in my diet. Last time I did that (had some nice, sweet and fruity drinks along with much more rice than I usually eat) - I had a terrible stomach ache for three days. Could have also been something bad from earlier that day, not sure.

But yeah, if I go too "off the rails", I do feel lethargic and gross for a day or two after. I've been slowly correcting that and I'm going to attempt it this lunch - boss is buying pizza and I'm gonna plan for just one slice, as I've brought a salad with chicken to mix in as well. I'll skip the chicken, but stick to the salad - it won't last.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    rhalso wrote: »
    This is my first real planned cheat day after a week of perfect diet and good results
    BUT… I did not enjoy it that much, all the food I used to crave was not as good as i thought it would be and now, I feel sick and bloated.

Sometimes bloated, especially if I ate something high sodium like pizza or brats. But not sick. I don't eat things I don't like. Usually my high calorie days don't differ much in content from my low calorie days, just in volume.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    No cheat days for me. I count/track everything, and try to fit whatever I want into my calories. If I go over cals, I go over and just continue on the next day.

The problem with having a "cheat" day is you are telling yourself that there is something wrong with the food you are eating, and you have to cheat to have it. Really, food is food, not good or bad. Have a little of whatever it is you really like, and just continue on with your day. Then you won't binge on it, and feel sick because you've consumed so much.

My 2cents FWIW. :smile:
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    rhalso wrote: »

I don't necessarily have "cheat days" but there are foods I try and eat far less of than others. When I have more of those foods for whatever reason I do sometimes feel a bit queasy. That is my cue that saving my calories to eat so much wasn't necessary. Eating my normal amount would have sufficed. But I never learn my lesson. It won't be long before I'm again ordering a 5 Guys bacon cheeseburger with extra mayo and mushrooms and feeling a bit queasy afterwards. Next time I won't take the bag full of fries in the truck with me. I'll leave them behind. Maybe that will help. I don't really think it's what I'm eating, I think it's more quantity of what I'm eating that makes it happen.

• jumpybeans
    jumpybeans Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days either, but I tend to take a more intuitive eating approach. This has made me realize what my body wants to eat. Today I had poutine for lunch, and I was utterly disgusted after the first few bites. Same thing happens when I eat certain meals that are usually touted as "cheat" meals. I feel sluggish, bloated, tired, etc. While all that is fine if I'm planning on going home and napping for the rest of the day, it doesn't do me any good when I have to work. Sometimes it is hard to remember that though, and I just indulge, and regret.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    The problem with having a "cheat" day is you are telling yourself that there is something wrong with the food you are eating, and you have to cheat to have it. Really, food is food, not good or bad. Have a little of whatever it is you really like, and just continue on with your day. Then you won't binge on it, and feel sick because you've consumed so much.

My 2cents FWIW. :smile:

Having a cheat doesn't necessarily mean you think something wrong with the food you are eating. It can mean you know there is something wrong with the amount of food you are eating.