Starvation Mode

Options
SavannahStClair
SavannahStClair Posts: 35 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello everyone! I have been reading threads about weight loss and people ask why at X-number of calories (usually quite low) they're not losing weight and periodically I see someone say "starvation mode," the idea that your body is desperately trying to hold on to weight due to its impression that you are starving. Is this a real thing? What does everyone think about this idea? Is it scientifically proven? I'm losing weight to my satisfy thus far, and am simply curious about this. Thank you in advance for any responses.

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Read this. Now. Several times.
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode" as you described is a myth and disproved by science.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    People who starve to death do not quit losing weight.
  • MKEgal
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you are in a calorie deficit (eating less than your body needs to run) you will lose weight.
    Short of amputation or dehydration, it's the only way to lose weight.

Your body MUST have energy (calories) to run. If it runs out, you die.
    It prefers glucose (blood sugar),
    then it prefers glycogen (stored carbs, mostly in muscle & liver),
    then it prefers fat,
    and as a distant 4th choice it burns muscle.

We're all burning all of them to some degree all the time, but that's mostly the order of preference.
    When you have enough protein in your diet, but are at a calorie deficit, you burn fat.
    Without enough protein, or in a severe deficit, you burn muscle.

The reason that's a last-ditch hail Mary is because you're risking death (burning your heart or diaphragm
    to the point where they can't work, and you die) in the hope of finding food.

If the body magically held onto calories when you don't eat enough, there would be no famine victims,
    no anorexics.

The grain of truth in 'starvation mode' myth is that as you eat less, your body lowers your metabolism to
    burn less. And if you're doing long-term starvation (e.g. VLCD) it goes lower, for longer, and is hard to
    recover to normal.
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    While losing weight it is still important to eat - you want to make sure you are losing fat and not muscle. The first time I lost weight I was eating 1200 calories a day. Losing weight this time around I'm eating almost 1600 and I've been consistently losing weight. Your body needs energy and this comes from the foods that you eat. While I don't know much about starvation mode, I can't comment on that specifically but it is better for your body to make sure that you are eating enough.
  • ktbak
    ktbak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that your body slows down its metabolism if it thinks there is not enough food to nourish it.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    ktbak wrote: »
    My understanding is that your body slows down its metabolism if it thinks there is not enough food to nourish it.

I suggest you read the previous posts to improve your understanding.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

You may want to read the thread that was linked in this post:
    MKEgal wrote: »

• MKEgal
    Options
    I have been reading threads about weight loss and people ask why at X-number of
    calories (usually quite low) they're not losing weight.
    The problem is usually twofold:
    1 - they're not logging their food accurately (weigh, measure)
    2 - their burn isn't as high as they think

Both of which contribute to
    3 - don't eat back exercise calories

Read these:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819925/the-basics-dont-complicate-it/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212/youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

• Dcorriette66
    Dcorriette66 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks MKEgal. I always wondered about the "muscle weighing more than fat" and "starvation mode" types of thinking. Great blog post.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    No.

First, the body does not think. Second, the only way metabolism slows or speeds is through long term changes ... i.e. loss or gain of muscle mass. The resulting metabolic adaptation is not that the body tries to hold onto fat but that the difference in muscle mass results in a change in the amount of calories the body burns both at rest and through activity.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Here is an example of starvation mode:

2j1fonhzyihc.jpg
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I think the science will very about as much as all of us very. For me I always do better when I eat at close to my deficit and not so good when I go way under. What works for me is to eat a good breakfast followed by a snack mid morning. Lunch and dinner are some lean meat and veggies. I never miss a meal and have some wine and beer daily. My take is that I keep my body fueled and in the habit of knowing more is on the way. I also need to run most mornings to burn some calories too.
  • RBracken34
    RBracken34 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Nope... and I'll even argue that the "as long as you get enough protein" argument is fairly controversial... or at least the definition of what's "enough" certainly is. The US has the highest recommended daily allowance of protein of all developed countries and people in lots of other developed countries aren't lacking for muscle. We don't need nearly as much protein in our diets as some people would have us believe. *ducks*

Bottom line: Weigh and measure and eat at a deficit. You'll lose fat. Simple as that.
  • DemoraFairy
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I think the science will very about as much as all of us very.

I tend to try not to correct grammar/spelling here since people seem to dislike it, but I spent too long trying to understand that sentence to not point out that very and vary are two different words!
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

I tend to try not to correct grammar/spelling here since people seem to dislike it, but I spent too long trying to understand that sentence to not point out that very and vary are two different words!

Not to mention that it is against MFP's TOS.
  • SavannahStClair
    SavannahStClair Posts: 35 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Thank you for this, it was both interesting and entertaining.

I agree about not eating back exercise calories. It can be difficult, however, especially after working up a sweat, you feel like you deserve a little something extra! (Right!?) However, I may have to go "premium" so I can avoid having the exercise calories added to my total, OR only log my exercise at the end of the day, so as to not fool myself into thinking I have more calories left than I actually do.
  • DemoraFairy
    Options

Not to mention that it is against MFP's TOS.

It says you can't attack, mock or insult someone for their written English, always thought that was more things like saying, "lol what do you know, you can't even spell lose," or "you're a complete idiot for thinking that eating too much sugar will make you gain weight, and the fact that you can't use apostrophes only proves that you're a massive idiot," rather than saying, "btw, plurals don't need apostrophes," or something like that.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    I have been reading threads about weight loss and people ask why at X-number of
    calories (usually quite low) they're not losing weight.

Read these:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819925/the-basics-dont-complicate-it/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212/youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

Thanks.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I see someone say "starvation mode," the idea that your body is desperately trying to hold on to weight due to its impression that you are starving. Is this a real thing?

The way most people describe it - no.

However, there are a number of problems with setting calories too low which markedly slows fat loss, sometimes to a crawl, so that it is masked on the scale due to a number of factors to include water retention, food which has not passed through the GI tract giving the impression that weight loss has stopped as a result of "starving."

When you plug your stats and activity into a calculator it determines your maintenance calories (TDEE / calories out) as of the moment in time you are inputting the data. You are then advised to eat a figure (calories in / diet) lower than TDEE to create a calorie deficit which causes weight loss. However this assumes your TDEE / calories out remains at least constant in the period you are dieting.

However low calories often have a detrimental affect on calories out - and this can manifest in a large fall in general or planned activity either consciously or unconsciously as well as some other factors (to include secret / unacknowledged eating in the face of mental deprivation). This means a lower TDEE in reality than was first inputted meaning a much smaller calorie deficit meaning weight loss slows to a crawl and shouts of "starvation mode yo!"

Weight loss isn't about the lowest amount of calories possible. It is about a personal weight loss "sweet spot" which could in fact be better achieved by eating more.