Question: 1200 calories a day???

Hi there,

Maybe this question has been askes a 1000 times already, but that doesn't keep me from asking it once again :)
Have any of you had a succes with a 1200 calorie diet? I just have some questions.

1. How much did you lose?
2. Did you find it hard to keep to the 1200? What did you eat mostly?
3. Did you just eat whatever you like as long as it was under 1200 total, or did you eg eat a lot of protein/fat etc.
4. How long did it take you to start seeing a difference/to start losing? Did you lose half 1 pound a week or 2 pounds?
5. Did you eat calories back?
6. Would you recommend it?

I'm thinking of starting this myself.. I'm 176 cm long and I want to lose about 10 kilograms (approx 22 LBS)
I would like to lose 1-2 LBS per week..
I'm still struggling to find something that works for me, so that's why I am asking these questions!
It would be really nice if you would help me out.. :)

xx

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Hi there,

Maybe this question has been askes a 1000 times already, but that doesn't keep me from asking it once again :)
    Have any of you had a succes with a 1200 calorie diet? I just have some questions.

3. Did you just eat whatever you like as long as it was under 1200 total, or did you eg eat a lot of protein/fat etc.
    4. How long did it take you to start seeing a difference/to start losing? Did you lose half 1 pound a week or 2 pounds?

I'm thinking of starting this myself.. I'm 176 cm long and I want to lose about 10 kilograms (approx 22 LBS)
    I'm still struggling to find something that works for me, so that's why I am asking these questions!

xx

How much do you weigh now?

• myweightloss2016
    myweightloss2016 Posts: 147 Member
    I'm not really comfortable with my weight.. gained a lot of weight recently due to personal reasons. The profile pic is the weight I want to get back to!
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    edited July 2015
    You said that you want to lose about 22lbs. Since you are aiming to lose less than 25lbs, you should set your goal to be to lose .5lb/week.

You said that you are struggling-so further deprivation is only going to make you struggle more. Losing at a slower rate has been proved to be more sustainable.

• amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    I lost weight before eating 1200 calories a day and exercising often. Gained it back and here I am again. This time I am using IIFYM and I eat 1600 calories a day, working out a few days a week and in the 3 weeks I have been doing it have gone down 6 pounds. I can't believe how much I eat and I am never hungry. To me this is so much more sustainable than a 1200 calorie goal. I highly recommend at least looking into it. If you have any questions about it - feel free to contact me!
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    I've been eating 1200 calories a day (or less) and am not hungry I've lost 7 pounds.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    bruerin wrote: »
    You said that you want to lose about 22lbs. Since you are aiming to lose less than 25lbs, you should set your goal to be to lose .5lb/week.

You said that you are struggling-so further deprivation is only going to make you struggle more. Losing at a slower rate has been proved to be more sustainable.

1LB/week should be fine until she gets to the last 10.

OP, I would not suggest 1200 cals. I would set your goal to lose 1lb/week and eat back 1/2 the cals burned from exercise.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    How much did you lose?

8kg so far, 10kg to go, to get to my goal of 60kgs (I am 1.7 tall)

Tough in the beginning but I got used to it and my hunger levels improved when I added more protein and veggies. I have been at this for 4 months.

I eat whatever I like. I eat McDonalds, chocolate and bread, but I eat them in moderation and less often than I used to. I choose to eat them less often as struggle less with hunger and low energy when I stick to healthier food. Feel free to view my diary.

I lose at at an average of 0.5kg a week, but that is an average as I have also gone two weeks without losing a gram and then had a bumper loss week after that. It all works out in the end which is why I have lost 8kg in 4 months.

No. I also do not log my exercise. I consider exercise burns a bonus. I only log some exercise when I am a tiny bit over on my daily numbers as I don't like to see the red. I think I have only done that 3 times in 4 months.

It works for me but expect to see tons of people telling you that you will starve and that it can't be done. People can get judgy and uptight about 1200 particular if you are over 5.6 (which both you and I are). I see no reason not to eat at 1200 if it is comfortable for you. Why should I lose weight slower because other people need to eat more? Other people must do what they do and I will stick with this. In my experience it can be easily done and I have no intention of increasing my calories before maintenance. Don't be shamed into eating more, but at the same time, don't feel you have to compete with me or anyone else eating at 1200. It is not for everyone.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    edited July 2015
    Soopatt wrote: »
    How much did you lose?

8kg so far, 10kg to go, to get to my goal of 60kgs (I am 1.7 tall)

Tough in the beginning but I got used to it and my hunger levels improved when I added more protein and veggies. I have been at this for 4 months.

I eat whatever I like. I eat McDonalds, chocolate and bread, but I eat them in moderation and less often than I used to. I choose to eat them less often as struggle less with hunger and low energy when I stick to healthier food. Feel free to view my diary.

I lose at at an average of 0.5kg a week, but that is an average as I have also gone two weeks without losing a gram and then had a bumper loss week after that. It all works out in the end which is why I have lost 8kg in 4 months.

No. I also do not log my exercise. I consider exercise burns a bonus. I only log some exercise when I am a tiny bit over on my daily numbers as I don't like to see the red. I think I have only done that 3 times in 4 months.

It works for me but expect to see tons of people telling you that you will starve and that it can't be done. People can get judgy and uptight about 1200 particular if you are over 5.6 (which both you and I are). I see no reason not to eat at 1200 if it is comfortable for you. Why should I lose weight slower because other people need to eat more? Other people must do what they do and I will stick with this. In my experience it can be easily done and I have no intention of increasing my calories before maintenance. Don't be shamed into eating more, but at the same time, don't feel you have to compete with me or anyone else eating at 1200. It is not for everyone.

For 5 and 6, the reason you should eat more than 1200 (exercise cals back at least) is that the larger your deficit the higher the % of your total weight loss that will come from lean muscle, not the fat you are trying to lose. So ask yourself, do you want to lose weight, or lose fat (hint: they are not necessarily one in the same)
  • solidusflux
    solidusflux Posts: 7 Member
    edited July 2015
    I have to make a lot of assumptions to try to help you, but this could serve as an example.

I've done 1200 cals a day before, but since I am heavier than you, it was a more aggressive diet for me than it would be for you. If you're 176 cm, that's 5'9". You want to get to how you look in your profile pic, which is what, 120 lbs (a bit more if you're muscular)?

If you have 22 lbs to lose, that puts you at 140-145 now. At 145 lbs and 5'9", assuming you're 20 years old, your BMR is 1516 cals. This means you burn 1516 cals just lying in bed watching Netflix all day. Assuming you have an office job like most people these days, your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is 1819 cals (1.2x your BMR). That means on a non-exercise day, your minimal activity will have you burning 1819 calories.

If you consume 1200 calories per day, when your body burns 1819 calories per day, you are creating a deficit of 619 calories per day. This yields a weekly deficit of 4334 calories. As you lose roughly one pound of weight per 3500 calorie deficit, you would lose 1.24 lbs per week. Add exercise on top of that a few days a week, and you would be in the 1-2 lbs per week weight loss range, exactly what you want!

It would be difficult to stick to this diet, but I think it could work. When you are at a relatively steep calorie deficit, you should, as you guessed, focus on protein. It's important to get a lot of protein.

You would hit your goal in 8-12 weeks (assuming you exercise, increasing your weekly calorie deficit to at least 7000).

Again, I made a lot of assumptions here, but this is the basic energy-in energy-out science.

Now for a little mom/doctor disclaimer. Be careful! This is a tough diet. If you feel dizzy or light-headed, you should eat more, or at least eat more often to keep your energy levels more predictable. Ideally, talk this over with a doctor before doing it. Don't get in the habit of zig-zag dieting (dieting hard, then not dieting) as it can wear on your mentally. etc etc etc. Just covering my bases here =)
  • myweightloss2016
    Thank you so much guys!
  • myweightloss2016
    I have to make a lot of assumptions to try to help you, but this could serve as an example.

I've done 1200 cals a day before, but since I am heavier than you, it was a more aggressive diet for me than it would be for you. If you're 176 cm, that's 5'9". You want to get to how you look in your profile pic, which is what, 120 lbs (a bit more if you're muscular)?

If you have 22 lbs to lose, that puts you at 140-145 now. At 145 lbs and 5'9", assuming you're 20 years old, your BMR is 1516 cals. This means you burn 1516 cals just lying in bed watching Netflix all day. Assuming you have an office job like most people these days, your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is 1819 cals (1.2x your BMR). That means on a non-exercise day, your minimal activity will have you burning 1819 calories.

If you consume 1200 calories per day, when your body burns 1819 calories per day, you are creating a deficit of 619 calories per day. This yields a weekly deficit of 4334 calories. As you lose roughly one pound of weight per 3500 calorie deficit, you would lose 1.24 lbs per week. Add exercise on top of that a few days a week, and you would be in the 1-2 lbs per week weight loss range, exactly what you want!

It would be difficult to stick to this diet, but I think it could work. When you are at a relatively steep calorie deficit, you should, as you guessed, focus on protein. It's important to get a lot of protein.

You would hit your goal in 8-12 weeks.

Again, I made a lot of assumptions here, but this is the basic energy-in energy-out science.

Now for a little mom/doctor disclaimer. Be careful! This is a tough diet. If you feel dizzy or light-headed, you should eat more, or at least eat more often to keep your energy levels more predictable. Ideally, talk this over with a doctor before doing it. Don't get in the habit of zig-zag dieting (dieting hard, then not dieting) as it can wear on your mentally. etc etc etc. Just covering my bases here =)

Thank you! Some of the assumptions are true..
    I am a student myself.. which comes with parties and drinks, committees I am joining with dinners and stuff. I think it's very important that I can still do all the social stuff, so I won't deprive myself or anything when there's something fun or when I'm out.
    I know it's a tough diet.. If I feel hungry I will just up it a little.

Thank you so much for taking time to help me!
  • solidusflux
    solidusflux Posts: 7 Member
    I am a student myself.. which comes with parties and drinks, committees I am joining with dinners and stuff. I think it's very important that I can still do all the social stuff, so I won't deprive myself or anything when there's something fun or when I'm out.

On the plus side, students walk around a lot, so your TDEE is likely higher than my guess (means you burn more calories on a non-exercise day). On the minus side, all the parties make it harder to count calories and stay on track. Good luck!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited July 2015

On the plus side, students walk around a lot, so your TDEE is likely higher than my guess (means you burn more calories on a non-exercise day). On the minus side, all the parties make it harder to count calories and stay on track. Good luck!

So than the OP should be eating above 1200 cals. As pointed out, if OP only has about 22lbs to lose they should be aiming for about .5lbs per week, not 1.5. At that deficit, OP would most likely be sacrificing LBM along with fat to reach goal weight, which may not effect OP's BF% much, which if we're aiming for the picture, is probably more of the goal than the weight since aesthetics is really the goal.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    I eat 1200 calories a day have been maintaining it a month and already lost 6lbs. I am used to it now and dont get too hungry. I try to eat things that keep me full longer like protein and vegetables but that is a personal preference. I dont eat back a lot of my workout calories, only when I know I had a hard workout and only less than half of what it shows I burn.
  • potadre
    potadre Posts: 8 Member
    I currently have my MFP calorie limit set to 1200 calories, I'd like to lose about 10 pounds. I did it a few months ago and then gained most of it back so I'm starting over. Personally, I find that my appetite fluctuates quite a bit related to my hormonal cycle, some days 1200 is completely fine, other days it's not enough. I know that maintenance for me is around 1800 calories, so what I do is I stick to the 1200 as often as possible, but if I find myself still hungry, I allow myself to consume up to the maintenance amount. On days when I'm going out for dinner and/or drinks with friends or family I just take a day off and don't track. This works for me, but everyone is different. Good luck!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Hi there,

xx

1. Ten pounds so far, going for another 10
    2.Yes, very hard. I am eating LOTS of salad and vegetables.
    3. I have to be extremely strict to stay within my calories. Virtually no sugary snacks, almost no cheese, no alcohol whatsoever. I eat a lot of eggs, chicken, salads, other vegetables, Quest bars for snacks, fruit, limited amounts of bread and other grain-based carbs (they make me crave more food), limited amounts of nuts. I do eat avocado, olive oil, butter and other fats to fit my macros (30% fat).
    4. I started losing immediately. Noticed a difference after losing 5 pounds. I am losing approximately .5 to 1 pound a week.
    5. Absolutely. I am conservative estimating exercise calories, and then I eat most of them back. I'm sure I'd lose faster if I ate fewer back, but it's virtually the only way I can maintain 1200 calories a day.
    6. I would not recommend 1200 calories unless you are very short, older (I am 55) or if MFP sets that as your target for losing .5 to 1 pound a week.

1200 calories a day is HARD. It is very difficult to fit in treats, restaurant meals, drinks and a lot of other stuff people on these forums say they "just find a way to fit in." My mind is especially boggled by those who say they save up 200-300 calories a day for a late night snack. I wish.
  • nessa2173
    nessa2173 Posts: 3 Member
    I did 1200 calories a day a few years back and had no problems. I just started up again this week. I think it is hard only in the beginning because your body is not used to it. However, over time your appetite and stomach shrinks and you get fuller much faster. I remember that on one cheat day last time, when I went out to eat I ordered the meal I used to order and I got full on the salad and had to take the entire meal home!

I did not eat back any calories lost with exercise. Everyone is different, but for me, although it does make a difference over time, it's not enough and I have to exercise at least 4 days a week to start seeing a difference. When eating out, you will probably have to change a lot of what you normally get. However, at home, i was able to eat a lot of the same things, just smaller portions and some substitutes. For instance, I would die without pasta, so I still ate pasta and even a slice of garlic bread for dinner sometimes.

Of course since I just started this week again, I am finding myself hungry often, but just make sure to keep healthy snacks around. And I agree with another poster, people will try to tell you not to do it. But if it works for you, then it works for you! I never had any health issues, and Iost weight and gained muscle.
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    After reading your post, I went back about a year and a half into my food diary where I was sometimes eating, 1100-1600 calories a day and burning over 600 calories a day too. Sometimes doing fitnessblender 1000 calorie workouts or 800 CALORIE Insanity workouts. Now that I look back I'm like how did I do that! I really had no appetite back then, but i did eat healthier low calorie foods at the time. but yeah I lost lots of weight really fast, I didn't gain anything back, I maintained really well. Until about 4.5 months ago when I got pregnant and stopped the extreme exercise and low cal lifestyle. If I can remember I had it set to 2 lbs a week at the time. Not saying it's the healthiest and best way to do it for you, but that's what I did and I'm healthy to date. Good luck on your journey.
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    whmscll wrote: »
    Hi there,

xx

1. Ten pounds so far, going for another 10
    2.Yes, very hard. I am eating LOTS of salad and vegetables.
    3. I have to be extremely strict to stay within my calories. Virtually no sugary snacks, almost no cheese, no alcohol whatsoever. I eat a lot of eggs, chicken, salads, other vegetables, Quest bars for snacks, fruit, limited amounts of bread and other grain-based carbs (they make me crave more food), limited amounts of nuts. I do eat avocado, olive oil, butter and other fats to fit my macros (30% fat).
    4. I started losing immediately. Noticed a difference after losing 5 pounds. I am losing approximately .5 to 1 pound a week.
    5. Absolutely. I am conservative estimating exercise calories, and then I eat most of them back. I'm sure I'd lose faster if I ate fewer back, but it's virtually the only way I can maintain 1200 calories a day.
    6. I would not recommend 1200 calories unless you are very short, older (I am 55) or if MFP sets that as your target for losing .5 to 1 pound a week.

1200 calories a day is HARD. It is very difficult to fit in treats, restaurant meals, drinks and a lot of other stuff people on these forums say they "just find a way to fit in." My mind is especially boggled by those who say they save up 200-300 calories a day for a late night snack. I wish.

Same for me. With 1200 cals, it's three meals and two very small snacks (as in: an apple). There is this guy who always come here to say: "I eat ice cream everyday, no problem". Granted, if your lunch consists of cucumber dipped in vinegar, it's totally doable to save 250 or 300 points per day on ice cream ...
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    edited July 2015
    I eat 1200 calories and don't eat back my exercise calories. Sometimes I'm hungry but not very and it's for a good cause. I don't lose weight otherwise. My diary is open so feel free to check it out. This last week I was camping so it's the same every day but you can go back further.