Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

5:2 diet

im on day 5 I've fasted for two and on Wednesday I'd lost 3lb it's a very easy and flexible diet I seriously recommend

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    It's "easy" not to eat for 2 days???
    Seek professional help.

And with only 15 lb to lose (and probably not even that), 3 lb in a week is not healthy.
    1-2 lb a month would be good.

Also, advocating unhealthy eating or VLCD is against the TOS.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    edited July 2015
    Hmmm, MKEgal you're not familiar with the "5:2" plan.

It involves eating under 500 calories for any 2 days in a week, and TDEE the other 5 days.

OP there is a dedicated 5:2 group on here which is worth joining for lots of support and tips!
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Two days a week 500 calories.
    Five days a week at maintenance.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    MKEgal wrote: »
    It's "easy" not to eat for 2 days???
    Seek professional help.

And with only 15 lb to lose (and probably not even that), 3 lb in a week is not healthy.
    1-2 lb a month would be good.

Also, advocating unhealthy eating or VLCD is against the TOS.

5:2 is not a VLCD. Several people on MFP choose to eat this way and have been successful...two days of high deficit and 5 days at maintenance. At the end of the week it is the same amount of calories.

I have tried a modified version of it...800 calories for 2 days and a smaller deficit the other 5 days.

There have been many threads about the 5:2 diet on MFP. I am surprised that you haven't seen them.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I think it's stupid. 500 calories isn't fasting. Fasting is not eating.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    I don't fast unless it's medically necessary (like before surgery). Some religions fast. Without those factors, if you are physically able, eat. Eat healthy, but eat.
  • lautour
    lautour Posts: 89 Member
    I do 4:3 and find it a simpler way to structure my eating than low calorie every day. This is not a VLCD. I average between 1300-1400 calories a day (some weeks closer to 1600), and for my height and activity level that's not crazy. I like using the new feature that averages your calories for you over a week's time, so now I don't have to figure it myself!

It's still important to eat in a way that nourishes you, even though with this structure you can eat whatever you want on your "up" days. I'm still not so great at that. But it's flexible and I find that very helpful. I lose weight steadily on this plan, and I also find it to be a way I can eat for years and years. I've been doing it since March, with one week off when I went on vacation.