Stevia

Options
I am not sure if anyone uses it or if it has been discussed but Stevia is not that bad of a taste when you get used to it and you can use it instead of sugar. In my opinion, Sugar is the works of all for a diet.

Best of luck to all the people trying to loose weight and become healthier!!

Best regards

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Stevia grossed me out. I usually just stick to regular sugar, and use Splenda when I'm on a very tight cut.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i grow stevia :wink:
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    ClaudePou wrote: »
    I am not sure if anyone uses it or if it has been discussed but Stevia is not that bad of a taste when you get used to it and you can use it instead of sugar. In my opinion, Sugar is the works of all for a diet.

Best of luck to all the people trying to loose weight and become healthier!!

Best regards

Stevia sucks imo.

How is sugar the worst of all for a diet?

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I've used Stevia for years. I wonder if people complaining about the taste are using too much? If you use more than the necessary amount it does have a strange taste.
  • ClaudePou
    ClaudePou Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It is a bit long to explain and a Dietitian can probably explain it well but sugar turns to fat easily. also there is allot of added sugar in most process food. It we eat natural sugar in fruits, its not as bad but it still adds up if you take too many fruits. So if you add it to coffee or any other foods, you will have problem controlling your calorie intake.
    I reduce my fruit intake but take a few fruits a day and also stop all added sugar. I also check the sugar amount in any process food i buy.
  • slaite1
    Options
    It is a bit long to explain and a Dietitian can probably explain it well but sugar turns to fat easily. also there is allot of added sugar in most process food. It we eat natural sugar in fruits, its not as bad but it still adds up if you take too many fruits. So if you add it to coffee or any other foods, you will have problem controlling your calorie intake.
    I reduce my fruit intake but take a few fruits a day and also stop all added sugar. I also check the sugar amount in any process food i buy.

A dietitian would not say that.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

A dietitian would not say that.

This^. But a "nutritionist" might.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    My brother uses Stevia because he has Diabetes Type 2.
    I do not add any sugar to my tea or coffee.
    I prefer to munch my sugar from fruits.
    I eat some chocolate once a week, but it is at least 72% cocoa
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A diabetic has to watch sugar intake, but it is overall calorie surplus that results in weight gain. I have Stevia and various other sugar substitutes in my cupboard.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like Stevia. The best is some fresh leaves that were given to me by a nice lady who was looking to start a business importing them. Steeping a mini-leaf along with my tea made for such a treat - and none of that strange after taste, either!

I don't really like Stevia for anything other than a small dose in coffee or something, though. It tends to make things taste funny after adding a lot - same with Splenda. Have yet to try Erythritol, though.

Mostly my sugar-free habits stem from my mom's diabetes. We've been using sugar substitutes for so long, it's become habit. If only mom would get with the program.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    It has an odd after taste and is much sweeter than sugar. I don't mind it but I usually use too much and it's overpowering.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste when I add stevia myself to tea, but I find that when a company like Celestial Seasonings has added it, I can drink that tea without any sweetener. For non-stevia teas, I have slowly reduced the amount of sugar I use and am down to 1/4 teaspoon of sugar or 1/8 t agave per teabag.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Livestrong is not on my list of trusted sources. Here's a good article on dieting!

http://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/314/7073/29.full.pdf
  • ClaudePou
    Options
    No, thats not what it says. I never said that or think that. I believe that we should eat properly. Proper amount of protein, vegetable, fruits and as less as possible of sugar. There is also sugar in bread and other food. I do not stop completely from eating those food but i reduce them to as low as i can. Please read the article properly and take what you can out if it. If you want to take sugar as much as you want, go for it. You can dissmiss all the studies and what doctors are saying.

This article and other articles like it have been written for decades about how sugar is easily turned into fat in your body.
  • slaite1
    Options
    No, thats not what it says. I never said that or think that. I believe that we should eat properly. Proper amount of protein, vegetable, fruits and as less as possible of sugar. There is also sugar in bread and other food. I do not stop completely from eating those food but i reduce them to as low as i can. Please read the article properly and take what you can out if it. If you want to take sugar as much as you want, go for it. You can dissmiss all the studies and what doctors are saying.

This article and other articles like it have been written for decades about how sugar is easily turned into fat in your body.

Just no
  • ClaudePou
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Livestrong is not on my list of trusted sources. Here's a good article on dieting!

http://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/314/7073/29.full.pdf

Extremelly good and detailed study. that is nice! Thanks Jgnatca!!!