Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just use real sugar?
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Put me in the "yuck" category. I tried to give stevia a chance but the bitter aftertaste just never went away for me. I use a mixture of sweeteners -- sugar, honey, brown sugar, Splenda -- depending on what I'm eating; different sweeteners actually go better with different foods (for example I don't like white sugar in oatmeal; it has to be brown).
  • ClaudePou
    ClaudePou Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Why don't you just use real sugar?

Lol, real sugar. Not sure if sugar is ( real). By the time they do everything to it. It is more chemically treated then a pack of gum. I am not againts sugar. Just try to avoid taking it unless it is in fruits. I still have it when i am in a bind, like at work and have no stevia.

Not trying to make a stink about sugar. Just wanted to know who takes it.

• Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The taste does not do it for me. Give me sugar or, better yet, honey any day of the week! But if it works for you, more power to you!
  • ariamythe
    Options
    ClaudePou wrote: »
    Lol, real sugar. Not sure if sugar is ( real). By the time they do everything to it. It is more chemically treated then a pack of gum.
    It's processed and clarified, but it's still 'real' sugar. The chemical makeup hasn't changed; it's just been extracted and separated from impurities. (though I suppose it's possible to move the goalposts in such a way that it wouldn't meet your definition of 'real')

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    So you're using stevia leaf I assume OP and not a conveniently refined end product? Because if it's the latter then there's really no difference to processed sugar. Sugar, or sweetener of any kind is only a problem if you have too much of it. I have very little sugar in my diet so see no need to go out of my way to use a substitute. It's just moderation, like anything else.

Stevia is just another fad to make us feel like what we're eating is in some way better for us than something trying to be presented as evil. It's all just a big corporate money making scam targeting those who want a quick fix for their poor diet.
  • ariamythe
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So you're using stevia leaf I assume OP and not a conveniently refined end product? Because if it's the latter then there's really no difference to processed sugar.

In point of fact, here's an overview of the process: http://globalsteviainstitute.com/health-professionals/food-science/ Key passage:
    The process of purifying stevia into high purity stevia leaf extract is similar to how other plant-based ingredients, such as cane sugar or natural vanilla extract, are made through a series of steps beginning with the harvested, raw plant material through to the end product.

The process begins by drying the leaves and then steeping them in water. Next, the liquid extract is filtered and separated from the leaves and stems. The plant extract is further purified with water or food grade alcohol. If food grade alcohol is used, it is later removed. Other process may be used in some cases.

Store bought stevia, and stevia used in products, is basically a processed food product. I'm not sure if that makes it "real" stevia or not.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    It is a bit long to explain and a Dietitian can probably explain it well but sugar turns to fat easily. also there is allot of added sugar in most process food. It we eat natural sugar in fruits, its not as bad but it still adds up if you take too many fruits. So if you add it to coffee or any other foods, you will have problem controlling your calorie intake.
    I reduce my fruit intake but take a few fruits a day and also stop all added sugar. I also check the sugar amount in any process food i buy.

A dietitian would not say that.

This^. But a "nutritionist" might.

True. It is goofy.

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    It is a bit long to explain and a Dietitian can probably explain it well but sugar turns to fat easily.

Actually, it almost never turns to fat.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/74/6/707.full
  • ClaudePou
    Options
    It is a bit long to explain and a Dietitian can probably explain it well but sugar turns to fat easily.

That is great. Thanks. I can now take 10 to 15 spoon full of sugar while eating my normal meal and not gain a pound. We should have someone try this.

• VintageFeline
    Options

That is great. Thanks. I can now take 10 to 15 spoon full of sugar while eating my normal meal and not gain a pound. We should have someone try this.

If it fits within your calorie goal then go for it because no, you won't gain a pound!
  • ClaudePou
    Options
    Stevia is just another fad to make us feel like what we're eating is in some way better for us than something trying to be presented as evil. It's all just a big corporate money making scam targeting those who want a quick fix for their poor diet.

LOL, what an Over simplified, general comment. I could probably say the same of sugar. 1 do not take sugar usually and try to take the stevia. I understand that there is some processing to make it into powder form or liquid form. You don't have to be a genius to know that. If people are too fussy about the taste and hurts there little feelings to take it in there coffee, that's fine. I stuck with it for years and i am used to it. Most people struggle with change.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I love SweetLeaf stevia. As a pre-diabetic I try to limit my sugar and carbs. Stevia has fewer unpleasant side effects for me than, sugar alcohols, aspartame, or sucralose.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Use it in coffee and oatmeal. Took about a couple weeks to get used to. Rather use my sugar in other ways then coffee etc.
  • jalarson23
    jalarson23 Posts: 62 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I use Stevia and sugar at different times, but just practice moderation with each. The next time I see a Stevia plant I am going to buy it and use its leaves as a sweetener for drinks. I guess for me it depends on the application and what else I am eating in the day.

I like to drop in some lemon slices into a bottle of seltzer water and tighten the cap to keep the carbonation. I usually add a little bit of sweetener. It is really refreshing. Has anyone tried this? Because you need to.
  • hvjc
    hvjc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Stevia makes me ill - tired and nauseous. Other sugar substitutes do not have the same effect. I also find it tastes bitter at the same time as sweet.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    i used to put it in my tea then some old guy used it to kill me now i am dead
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Sugar and other so-called "simple carbs" like pasta and white bread can cause a glycemic response in your body. Your blood sugar goes up, your body releases insulin, and your blood sugar crashes. When it crashes you feel tired and crave sugar to bring your blood sugar back up again. Obviously everyone is different but this definitely happens to me. I call it the "Sugar roller coaster". Once I start eating sugar I find myself craving it all day long.

So yes, it's calories in and calories out but avoiding sugar makes it easier for me to eat fewer calories - and I feel better too, more consistent energy throughout the day. Eating smaller, more frequent meals helps too - since larger meals have a greater glycemic response (why you may feel tired after a large meal).

Stevia is ok. I agree that it's a lot stronger than sugar. Due the cost and the taste I use Splenda, but I try to limit it since it's an artificial sweetener and I wonder if all the health effects are fully understood just yet.
  • VintageFeline
    Options

LOL, what an Over simplified, general comment.

It was supposed to be. If you have very little sugar in your diet there's little need to use Stevia unless you prefer the taste. If you have a problem controlling sugar intake then addressing it rather than using an alternative is probably a more sensible approach.

And, in general, all new fangled food products are made to create new income for the parent company, there's very little altruistic reasoning behind companies wanting to make a profit.