a week of clean eating

Options

Replies

• cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    <3 I eat clean Jan till March 1 (my birthday and I'm gonna have cake bought from a store). For me this means no alcohol. I make my own pancakes from scratch with whole wheat flour and use pure maple syrup. I make vegan cookies with unbleached flour. No sausage or bacon. I eat alot of veggies & chicken, fish or steak. It's kind of expensive, but it works for me for 2 months of the year. It's just for me and I don't care if anyone else likes it or does it.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I am not trying to start a debate here. I'm a newbie with a question, settle down.

The forums here are used more for entertainment than anything else, unfortunately. You might have better luck checking out a clean eating group here or looking for another forum altogether -- maybe on Reddit or Facebook? Here's some links:

MFP - Clean Eating Group
    r/Clean Eating
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    jonnyman41 wrote: »
    gosh people are not really helping you with your original request! I know when I tried it (as defined by me) for a week I really did notice a difference and that spurred me on to research more about a health issue I have and how I could help it with diet. for the original week I only ate fresh veg, berries and meat/fish/eggs. Now, to me fresh veg, meat/fish with no extra flavour, eggs and plain nuts all fall into clean eating. To that I now also add some dairy that won't be seen as clean to some but I use cream and butter plus coconut milk quite a lot. Lots of stir fries with spices and lemon juice for flavour and olive or coconut oil for cooking in. I also have plain and greek yogurt too so not totally clean but no ready meals or anything that can/or does go in the microwave. It is paying off for me health wise but does not necessarily lead to any more weight loss.

Have to be honest though, the above is what I try for, the reality is that I do have other stuff some days too including an ice cream bar today lol

The parts in bold show just how arbitrary and subjective "clean" eating is. By your own words, your "clean" is not necessarily another person's "clean".

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Look up Tosca Reno's website for clean eating. Personally I think clean eating means whatever the heck you want it to mean, but I like Tosca - she's not too extreme and has an easy to follow plan for clean eating.

I wouldn't go into it with the midset though that this is only a week long thing personally. If that was me on Day 8 I'd eat all the processed crap I could because hey the weeks up and my job is done. You want to do something you can maintain. I'm more of an 80/20 rule girl myself - try and eat "right" 80 percent of the time and the other 20% it is okay to go not worry about it so much. So those 2 "slip-ups" would just fall into the 20% and life is still okay.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I am not trying to start a debate here. I'm a newbie with a question, settle down.

The forums here are used more for entertainment than anything else, unfortunately. You might have better luck checking out a clean eating group here or looking for another forum altogether -- maybe on Reddit or Facebook? Here's some links:

MFP - Clean Eating Group
    r/Clean Eating

just because you think that, does not make it so.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    <3 I eat clean Jan till March 1 (my birthday and I'm gonna have cake bought from a store). For me this means no alcohol. I make my own pancakes from scratch with whole wheat flour and use pure maple syrup. I make vegan cookies with unbleached flour. No sausage or bacon. I eat alot of veggies & chicken, fish or steak. It's kind of expensive, but it works for me for 2 months of the year. It's just for me and I don't care if anyone else likes it or does it.

why only two months?
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

MFP - Clean Eating Group
    r/Clean Eating

Aha - I understand now. "Clean Eating" means buying your groceries at Whole Foods.
  • AlabasterVerve
    edited July 2015
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

MFP - Clean Eating Group
    r/Clean Eating

Aha - I understand now. "Clean Eating" means buying your groceries at Whole Foods.

That's what I always assume someone means* when they say clean eating given the context of the posts and I haven't been wrong yet. Why everyone here pretends they don't know what they're talking about is beyond me.

*eating whole foods, not shopping at a particular store
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »
    Clean eating to me means:

No food found lying on the side of the road.

No food taken from a garbage can. This is subjective. If it's a candy bar, and it's laying on top still completely sealed it may be seen as 'clean' food.

No food from a dumpster. Not even sealed.

No food my dog licked. This is also subjective. If it's an ice cream cone, we can share.

The 5 second rule for the kitchen floor can be extended by as much as 25 seconds if I just cleaned the floor.

Chocolate covered crickets are not food. I don't care how clean they were processed.

Other than that, if it's edible and I'm around and hungry, it's in danger.

But what if chocolate covered crickets fit into your calories and macros? ;):o
  • brianpperkins
    edited July 2015
    Options

MFP - Clean Eating Group
    r/Clean Eating

Where foods are still processed, packaged, etc.

Using the criteria put forth in this thread alone, I can't figure out where people get this "clean" food. Not prepackaged means it cannot get boxed, wrapped, bagged, canned, bottled, put in a carton ... so pretty much nothing that makes it to a store. Not processed eliminates anything cooked, cleaned, sterilized, fertilized, harvested, cultivated, butchered ... there goes food stuffs from animals and plants.

MFP - Clean Eating Group
    r/Clean Eating

That's what I always assume someone means (eating whole foods, not shopping at a particular store) when they say clean eating given the context of the posts and I haven't been wrong yet. Why everyone here pretends they don't know what they're talking about is beyond me.

Ahh ... a "whole food" .. introducing yet another arbitrary, subjective, and therefore meaningless term into the discussion.

ETA: Based on your diary, heaving whipping cream must be a "whole food" along with coffee which is heavily processed from its natural, cherry pit state to a roasted and ground product suitable for making a beverage.
  • ndj1979
    Options

MFP - Clean Eating Group
    r/Clean Eating

That's what I always assume someone means* when they say clean eating given the context of the posts and I haven't been wrong yet. Why everyone here pretends they don't know what they're talking about is beyond me.

because there are about five million definitions of clean eating..

@diannethegeek has complied a list that I am sure she would be happy to post....
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

MFP - Clean Eating Group
    r/Clean Eating

You assume clean eating means=whole foods? That is funny.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    A week to see how my body feels, if I can do it, if its sustainable for me at this point on my journey. A trial period. Yeah I get that I can lose weight eating twinkies as long as its within my goal, but I'd like to see if I feel better in general without all the processed crap.
    THAT is why.
    And yes, I get that it's all about CICO.

If you know that what you want to do is eat fresher foods, just do that. Cook for yourself, is really the bottom line. Check in the Recipes forum for tons of ideas.

For some people, "clean" means no sugar. For others, it means completely organic. You get to decide for yourself what it means.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't think I'd get crucified for asking a simple question. Yes I should have put more detail into the question, but still. I will not be asking for help on here for further reference! Lol

A week to see how my body feels, if I can do it, if its sustainable for me at this point on my journey. A trial period. Yeah I get that I can lose weight eating twinkies as long as its within my goal, but I'd like to see if I feel better in general without all the processed crap.
    THAT is why.

What food is there that doesn't go through at least one process before consumption?

I'm talking about prepackaged meals vs doing everything from scratch and following pretty simple recipes.

If you want to do everything from scratch, go to a bookstore and buy a good cookbook, like The Joy of Cooking, or How to Cook Everything.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

MFP - Clean Eating Group
    r/Clean Eating

because there are about five million definitions of clean eating..

@diannethegeek has complied a list that I am sure she would be happy to post....

And here it is. These were all off-the-cuff answers given when asked what clean eating really is. Some of them have been formatted to better fit the list, but many of them are directly copy/pasted from their original posts. For what it's worth, I would have defined "clean eating" as mostly synonymous with "cooking from scratch" until I read some of these answers.

Nothing but minimally processed foods.
    Absolutely no processed foods.
    Shop only the outside of the grocery store.
    Nothing out of a box, jar, or can.
    Only food that's not in a box or hermetically sealed bag, or from e.g. McDonald's.
    No take-out or junk food at all.
    Nothing at all with a barcode.
    Nothing with more than 5 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 4 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 3 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 1 ingredient.
    No added preservatives.
    No added chemicals.
    No chemicals, preservatives, etc. at all.
    No ingredients that you can't pronounce.
    No ingredients that sound like they came out of a chemistry book.
    Nothing that is processed and comes in a package or wrapper, or has any ingredient that sounds scientific.
    Don't eat products that have a TV commercial.
    Don't eat foods that have a mascot.
    If it grows or had a mother, it is ok to eat it.
    Don't eat products that have a longer shelf life than you do.
    Eat "food" and not "food-like substances."
    No added sugar.
    No added refined sugar.
    Swap white sugar for brown.
    No "white" foods.
    Nothing but lean meats, fruits, and vegetables.
    Nothing but lean meats, fruits, vegetables, and beans.
    Eat foods as close to their natural state as POSSIBLE, and little to no processed food.
    Only meat from grass-fed animals and free-range chickens.
    Only pesticide-free foods.
    Nothing that causes your body bloat or inflammation.
    No trigger foods, nothing from fast food chains, nothing in the junk food aisles, and no high gmo foods.
    No red meat, no sweets, no pasta, no alcohol, no bread, no soda, nothing but fresh fruits and vegetables, complex carbohydrates and lean proteins.
    Eat a plant based diet consisting of whole plant foods.
    No bad carbs and processed foods.
    Anything that makes a better choice.
    Not cheating on whatever diet you are on.
    Any food that doesn't make it difficult to hit your macro/micro targets.
  • MillyFleurs
    MillyFleurs Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I get you, OP. I assume by clean eating you mean to cut out empty calories and junk foods and cook/snack on more simple (fewer ingredient) foods.
    If so, yes! Give it a shot. Try a couple of weeks, though. I'll admit this is not my first rodeo and those bad habits are just a couple "comfort" slip ups away for me. I've found that what helps me make that initial adjustment with dietary changes and eating at a deficit is cutting out food I don't need to eat and filling up on nutritious food. I know most people here don't care for elimination diets or the term "bad food" but if certain foods or types of foods are a problem for you, you should avoid them. Kind of like how a problem drinker should avoid bars.
    It takes me a while to break bad eating habits with slip ups all along the way, but after about a month I form an easy rhythm of: "do I need to eat this? will I be hungry later? if I don't eat this today, I can splurge when out another day" and so on. I also quit wanting those problem foods so much.
  • MillyFleurs
    MillyFleurs Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Also: my workouts are better, my general mood is better, and my IBS flare ups are shorter.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Ahh ... a "whole food" .. introducing yet another arbitrary, subjective, and therefore meaningless term into the discussion.

ETA: Based on your diary, heaving whipping cream must be a "whole food" along with coffee which is heavily processed from its natural, cherry pit state to a roasted and ground product suitable for making a beverage.

I know perfectly well my diet isn't clean and I've never described it as such. There's some sort of gum or wax in my cream, MSG in the soup mix I use, some bunch of letters (BHT... BBT I don't know) on my pepperoni that is apparently so bad for you there's a warning label on the front of the package... and I could go on all day with this.

But I do think eating whole foods is the ideal so I try to do that as much as taste, convenience and budget allows. That anyone thinks there's something wrong with this is certainly telling.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    THAT is why.

If you know that what you want to do is eat fresher foods, just do that. Cook for yourself, is really the bottom line. Check in the Recipes forum for tons of ideas.

For some people, "clean" means no sugar. For others, it means completely organic. You get to decide for yourself what it means.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't think I'd get crucified for asking a simple question. Yes I should have put more detail into the question, but still. I will not be asking for help on here for further reference! Lol

THAT is why.

What food is there that doesn't go through at least one process before consumption?

I'm talking about prepackaged meals vs doing everything from scratch and following pretty simple recipes.

You can ask the mods to remove the question if you don't want to see the barrage of standard 'let's bash clean eating' replies. Just click on flag under your OP then Report and choose 'this is my post and I'd like it deleted'
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    THAT is why.

THAT is why.

You can ask the mods to remove the question if you don't want to see the barrage of standard 'let's bash clean eating' replies. Just click on flag under you OP then Report and choose 'this is my post and I'd like it deleted'

How can anyone "bash clean eating" when its advocates cannot even agree on a definition of "clean"?

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    OP, most of my meals are home cooked. I'm not sure if they fit your definition of "clean" though. I would suggest just taking recipes of foods you already eat and tweak them to meet your needs. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.