Protein intake 200g / day

Options
2»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,729 Member
    Options
    To OP. As mentioned by many people anywhere in the night 140s + you're OK

Protein is one thing... structured lifting program is the other big thing.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I read it. The author only cited a small hand-picked set of studies that backed up the point he wanted to make. You can't start with a conclusion, find a few studies to back it up, ignore the ones that don't, and expect to be taken seriously. You have to look at all of the studies, do a meta-analysis, and only then can you draw a meaningful conclusion.

Well, here is the problem.

RDA is about people at maintenance and is about half what Lyle McDonald, Bayesian dude, and a bunch of individual studies that "look good on paper" suggest.

I am not capable of looking at ALL the studies, doing a meta-analysis, and drawing a meaningful conclusion. Haven't run into a definitive meta-analysis in my googling either.

I am losing weight today, not in the year ???? when that Meta-analysis will be published.

In general, I've considered my body and the risks of eating too much protein that I'm aware off and put them against my general not great love of exercise and compared to my chances of being run over by a car while walking outside (which are greater, and yet I do) and came up with... not much to lose by eating to 0.8g of protein per lb of bodyweight. Maybe something to gain. Good nuff.

That's just me. YMMV.
  • beatua1
    beatua1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I read it. The author only cited a small hand-picked set of studies that backed up the point he wanted to make. You can't start with a conclusion, find a few studies to back it up, ignore the ones that don't, and expect to be taken seriously. You have to look at all of the studies, do a meta-analysis, and only then can you draw a meaningful conclusion.

Well, here is the problem.

RDA is about people at maintenance and is about half what Lyle McDonald, Bayesian dude, and a bunch of individual studies that "look good on paper" suggest.

I am not capable of looking at ALL the studies, doing a meta-analysis, and drawing a meaningful conclusion. Haven't run into a definitive meta-analysis in my googling either.

I am losing weight today, not in the year ???? when that Meta-analysis will be published.

In general, I've considered my body and the risks of eating too much protein that I'm aware off and put them against my general not great love of exercise and compared to my chances of being run over by a car while walking outside (which are greater, and yet I do) and came up with... not much to lose by eating to 0.8g of protein per lb of bodyweight. Maybe something to gain. Good nuff.

That's just me. YMMV.

Exactly my thoughts, the positives seem to far outweigh the negatives to eating .8g / lb, so I think I will shoot for that daily even though it has me drinking a lot of protein shake to get there consistently.

Thanks everyone for the lively debate and discussion!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    another option to do is eat 0.8 grams of protein per lb of goal weight. so if your goal is 200 lbs then aim for 160 grams
  • JoshLikesBeer
    JoshLikesBeer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Wait, no, when I said "you can't ..." or "you have to...", I meant "you" in the generic sense, not you specifically. I wasn't expecting you or anyone else here on the thread to run off and go do all that research. I was just saying why I take that article with a large grain of salt.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Wait, no, when I said "you can't ..." or "you have to...", I meant "you" in the generic sense, not you specifically. I wasn't expecting you or anyone else here on the thread to run off and go do all that research. I was just saying why I take that article with a large grain of salt.

I hear you but I have to say that I am personally incredibly disappointed with the state of definitive scientific knowledge about the effects of losing weight, food choices, etc, and also of the crappy sample sizes a lot of studies are based on. And other design issues/study decisions even a non scientist like me looks at with mouth agape.

Most of which boil down to probably: that's all the money and equipment we have handy, have to publish, let's slap a study together.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Read article I posted ^^^

I have yet to see a single study that suggests any real advantage of eating as much protein as you do. I have however seen multiple ones that said there was no noticable advantage above the 0.8g/pound.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I think it's per kilo, not per pound. Divide your lbs by 2.2 and see if it looks better. Overdoing protein is not a good idea.
  • JoshLikesBeer
    JoshLikesBeer Posts: 88 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have yet to see a single study that suggests any real advantage of eating as much protein as you do.
    Neither have I. The only reason I'm eating so much protein now is because I'm on a six-week diet+exercise program that calls for that much. I was skeptical, but I tried it anyway and I'm getting great results. I realize this is all just anecdotal, and I'm not recommending that anyone else eat 1.5g protein / pound of body weight. I also plan on going back to normal once I finish this program.
    I have however seen multiple ones that said there was no noticable advantage above the 0.8g/pound.
    Me too. I have also seen studies that show some advantage to consuming up to 30% more than that under certain circumstances. There are a lot of factors involved that affect the results, such as whether the person is in a caloric deficit or surplus, type of protein, time of day when they eat it, what they eat it with, how long before or after their workout they eat it, how they're working out, and so forth.

I think 0.8g/pound will give most people most, if not all, of the benefits they can expect to get from dietary protein. 0.8g/pound seems to be the point on the curve where the effects of adding protein to a diet change from drastic to marginal at best. If someone is at maintenance level or at a caloric surplus, then I would expect them to receive very little, if any, benefit from eating more than that.
  • 95savvy
    95savvy Posts: 114 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    i have heard lots of different suggestions on protein intake. i think it is solely on person preference. i am 140lbs and i consume 166g. i would say that my muscle mas has stayed relatively the same for a few months, no major or drastic changes. play around with it and see what you body prefers. which in my opinion is the best part about dieting. you really get to understand your body and how to know when or how your body will react to certain intakes of food.
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    At 230lbs and 190lbs lean body mass, I regularly get 150-180 grams a day and have lost very very little muscle mass during a 30lb cut.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    At 230lbs and 190lbs lean body mass, I regularly get 150-180 grams a day and have lost very very little muscle mass during a 30lb cut.

How do you know? (Genuine interest not snark)