Low Carb Cereal

Options
2»

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Quarry was the best low carb cereal of the late 1970s.
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Special K has a high protein cereal or two. I think the weight watcher's brand might as well. I'll look for the Hi-Lo maple Pecan as well.
  • Kriistabell
    Kriistabell Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Steak and eggs...let me finish...served in a cereal bowl.
    tumblr_mkuhweXSRL1s3oe2qo1_250.gif
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You were talking in other threads about lifting. Carbs are where your body gets energy to fuel your lifts. Don't be afraid of carbs. Keep them in check, obviously, but enjoy them. They will help the protein intake to refuel, replenish and rebuild the damage in the muscles caused by your lifting regimen.
  • sinbos
    sinbos Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hiho
    i don't know where you all live (americas or Uk) but propably this is something for you. It is from amazon.de , not necesery low carb but for a musli only 19,3% is pretty low
    http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00HXAPWNA/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p325_d7_i5?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0MVH746GX0N92CGYEK96&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=585296347&pf_rd_i=desktop

sorry the page is in German
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    You were talking in other threads about lifting. Carbs are where your body gets energy to fuel your lifts. Don't be afraid of carbs. Keep them in check, obviously, but enjoy them. They will help the protein intake to refuel, replenish and rebuild the damage in the muscles caused by your lifting regimen.

Yeah I lift heavy 4 to 5 days a week so I guess you're right. I set my macros to 33% carbs, 28% fat, and 48% protein. Not sure if I'm doing it right. The lower carb amount allows me 149 grams a day which is do-able for me but so far I only have 42 grams left for today. I was thinking about the importance of eating my carbs, especially before working out so I ate most today so that when I go to the gym in a little while I'll have the fuel I need. Thank you for the advice :smile:
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    sinbos wrote: »
    Hiho
    i don't know where you all live (americas or Uk) but propably this is something for you. It is from amazon.de , not necesery low carb but for a musli only 19,3% is pretty low
    http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00HXAPWNA/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p325_d7_i5?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0MVH746GX0N92CGYEK96&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=585296347&pf_rd_i=desktop

sorry the page is in German

Thanks. I don't think I can order that on there and I tried to find it for the U.S. but can't. Looks good though!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cereals and grains are by their very nature NOT low carb. Also, why does staying below your carb targets with IIFYM give you some kind of satisfaction...there's nothing evil about carbs.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

Yeah I lift heavy 4 to 5 days a week so I guess you're right. I set my macros to 33% carbs, 28% fat, and 48% protein. Not sure if I'm doing it right. The lower carb amount allows me 149 grams a day which is do-able for me but so far I only have 42 grams left for today. I was thinking about the importance of eating my carbs, especially before working out so I ate most today so that when I go to the gym in a little while I'll have the fuel I need. Thank you for the advice :smile:

No worries. I lift heavy as well, and I know that if I skimp on carbs prior to workout, my workout can suffer, and if I skimp in general, my recovery suffers.

We're all in it together for different reasons, right? Good luck.
  • Kriistabell
    Options

No worries. I lift heavy as well, and I know that if I skimp on carbs prior to workout, my workout can suffer, and if I skimp in general, my recovery suffers.

We're all in it together for different reasons, right? Good luck.

Thanks! Good luck to you as well!
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    cereals and grains are by their very nature NOT low carb. Also, why does staying below your carb targets with IIFYM give you some kind of satisfaction...there's nothing evil about carbs.

Guess its a mental, irrational thing. I see other people losing weight and building muscle with iifym and eating all of their carbs and I always think that could never be me. I guess its fear of failure. I'm working on it.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    There are a few high protein cereals out there, but Idk if they are lower in carbs than regular cereal or not as I haven't really looked into them. Original Fiber One is extremely high fiber for the calories and carbs in a serving. I know a serving is only 1/2 cup, but definitely not anything I'd overdo on.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Guess its a mental, irrational thing. I see other people losing weight and building muscle with iifym and eating all of their carbs and I always think that could never be me. I guess its fear of failure. I'm working on it.

most people who eat anything remotely resembling the SAD could stand to moderate their carbohydrate intake and could certainly make better nutritional decisions in RE to the kinds of carbs they eat...but really, things like legumes and oats, etc are packed with nutrition and give you long, sustained energy.

carbs are also important if you're lifting.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Hold on, if you're doing IIFYM but you're usually 80g under on carbs, are you really doing IIFYM? Isn't the idea to hit your macros?
    She feels accomplished when she's under her carb goals, and now she wants cereal that helps her accomplish that. If it was my mental gymnastics, I guess I'd just set my C 80g higher, enjoy cereal, and still be 80g under my planned amount.

But then my percentages wouldn't be ideal for power lifting. I want to build muscle and lose fat so I thought I was doing it right. Am i doing it wrongz?

High carbs don't make you retain fat. You'll want your carbs higher for more intense workouts if you are "powerlifting". You will however, still need an overall caloric deficit to lose weight. Or, you can recomp at maintenance calorie intake if you're ok with a slower process.
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Hold on, if you're doing IIFYM but you're usually 80g under on carbs, are you really doing IIFYM? Isn't the idea to hit your macros?
    She feels accomplished when she's under her carb goals, and now she wants cereal that helps her accomplish that. If it was my mental gymnastics, I guess I'd just set my C 80g higher, enjoy cereal, and still be 80g under my planned amount.

But then my percentages wouldn't be ideal for power lifting. I want to build muscle and lose fat so I thought I was doing it right. Am i doing it wrongz?

High carbs don't make you retain fat. You'll want your carbs higher for more intense workouts if you are "powerlifting". You will however, still need an overall caloric deficit to lose weight. Or, you can recomp at maintenance calorie intake if you're ok with a slower process.

Eh, I'd rather be in a deficit than maintenance. Faster results will keep me from losing motivation. I'm in super motivation mode right now and I wanna stay there lol. I'm in a deficit right now and I'm cool with it, not having trouble at all. I usually end up with 100+ calories left over too which I think is because the protein is filling me up better than cereal ever has :lol: . I switched things up and now my P/C/F is 179g/149g/55g which is 39% P.33% C. - 28F. I'm also working out about 5 days a week, sometimes 6 lifting heavy. Hopefully this works for me!