for those of you who don't like to hear "buy a scale and weigh"

Options

Replies

• Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    Please listen to the people who are telling you that. The people telling you this have experience and have been through something you are starting with and/or struggling with.
    I myself was pretty hesitant to weigh my food (and I even had a scale already) I mean screw that its gonna take up soon much time I can't be bothered with that. Well I can't be bothered with being fat so I guess pick your poison? I don't have much weigh to lose (15-20 lbs) so because of that my deficit is small and needs to be precise. About 3 weeks ago I began to weigh things and it changed my life. I steadily lose, get to eat WHATEVER I WANT TO EAT, and now I'm actually pretty obsessed with weighing. There is also this magical button called "tare" so you don't need to ever weigh things separately... even making a sandwich takes the same amount of time.
    Listen to these people and if you really want to lose is weighing food really to much to handle? If so then you are not ready.
    Appreciate the advice, take the advice, listen... they are right and you are wrong. Why? Well their weight loss is proof enough for me.

Yes, that tare thing also changed my life. lol. In fact I just used it for my peaches and yogurt. Put the bowl on the scale, hit tare, put yogurt in, hit tare, put peaches in, bingo done. And somewhere on this forum I read to do this with the entire jar of peanut butter. Put pb jar on scale, hit tare, then remove what you're going to eat. It will display as a negative number but that doesn't matter because that's still the amount of pb that you're eating. Best tip every. :)
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    People just love dirtying a thousand measuring cups a day. I don't get it...

Lol. Measure a half cup of milk, rinse measuring cup under hot water, set in dish drainer, ten seconds and done. :)
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i do not mind weighing food

i find that sometimes weighing it actually gives me more food then if i had went with the other option for portions on the package or used a cup for raw fruit ect.

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    Haha, glad I inspired some people to make lists of the weight of their dishes as well :D It's awesome!

ok that is a smart idea
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Bearbo27 wrote: »
    I personally don't understand how some get by without a scale... <snip>

You log honestly and consistently to the best of your ability and adjust your eating up or down depending on your results. It also helps to include behavioral changes (that are unpopular on MFP) like less snacking, no desserts or more activity. People have been dieting successfully for thousands of years without a food scale, MFP, FitBits and the like -- they can be helpful but it's not the only way. Or even the best way for everyone.

yes, except the majority of those people ultimately lapse back into eating the snacks, the desserts, etc. People don't like giving up foods. Eating in moderation, enjoying foods you actually like, is much easier to do, and taking 60 seconds to weigh the food before eating it is not a hassle. Ultimately, developing a lifelong habit of weighing foods and logging them, and maintaining a healthy weight, is much more satisfying than a short term of deprivation, hitting goal weight, and then sliding back into eating 'forbidden' foods and regaining weight.

people lived for thousands of years without medical advancements, too, but live longer and happier with them. Technological advancements like food scales- same thing.

Unfortunately the majority of people will lapse whether they use a scale or not.

Oh, but if you read my entire post, I said the people who lapse are those who deprive themselves of foods. Those who are successful in long-term are those who learn to eat in moderation, by eating all the foods they like in smaller portions. The scale is just one tool to use while learning to do that.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

You log honestly and consistently to the best of your ability and adjust your eating up or down depending on your results. It also helps to include behavioral changes (that are unpopular on MFP) like less snacking, no desserts or more activity. People have been dieting successfully for thousands of years without a food scale, MFP, FitBits and the like -- they can be helpful but it's not the only way. Or even the best way for everyone.

yes, except the majority of those people ultimately lapse back into eating the snacks, the desserts, etc. People don't like giving up foods. Eating in moderation, enjoying foods you actually like, is much easier to do, and taking 60 seconds to weigh the food before eating it is not a hassle. Ultimately, developing a lifelong habit of weighing foods and logging them, and maintaining a healthy weight, is much more satisfying than a short term of deprivation, hitting goal weight, and then sliding back into eating 'forbidden' foods and regaining weight.

people lived for thousands of years without medical advancements, too, but live longer and happier with them. Technological advancements like food scales- same thing.

Unfortunately the majority of people will lapse whether they use a scale or not.

Oh, but if you read my entire post, I said the people who lapse are those who deprive themselves of foods. Those who are successful in long-term are those who learn to eat in moderation, by eating all the foods they like in smaller portions. The scale is just one tool to use while learning to do that.

I'd bet that just as many people regain because of some change in lifestyle than because of deprivation during dieting. You have a child, change jobs, get married, have a change in income, move, greive, etc. These changes in lifesyle are very often the trigger for weight regain.

At least this has always been the case with me. Whenever I have a change in lifestyle I gain a little weight. Then I have to diet and find a new routine for keeping it off.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I wish I could get my friend who is doing the 21 Day Fix to read this. She is gaining on the plan, when I asked her how many calories she is eating, her answer was "I am not tracking calories". Um? :#

Geez, how do you gain on the 21 day fix? Those containers are so tiny.

Exactly!
  • mccindy72
    Options

I'd bet that just as many people regain because of some change in lifestyle than because of deprivation during dieting. You have a child, change jobs, get married, have a change in income, move, greive, etc. These changes in lifesyle are very often the trigger for weight regain.

At least this has always been the case with me. Whenever I have a change in lifestyle I gain a little weight. Then I have to diet and find a new routine for keeping it off.

Therein lies the problem. A lifestyle change like learning to eat in moderation is permanent. You stick to that. You are always weighing your food, so you always know your calorie intake, regardless of life's changes. You don't gain weight because anything else in your life changes. The reason people gain weight when those changes in life happen is because they aren't doing their usual eating routine, eat excess calories, and gain weight.
    There's no 'diet' when you eat in moderation all the time.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Therein lies the problem. A lifestyle change like learning to eat in moderation is permanent. You stick to that. You are always weighing your food, so you always know your calorie intake, regardless of life's changes. You don't gain weight because anything else in your life changes. The reason people gain weight when those changes in life happen is because they aren't doing their usual eating routine, eat excess calories, and gain weight.
    There's no 'diet' when you eat in moderation all the time.

I don't think you understood my post, but that's okay. Have a great weekend.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

People have not been dieting successfully for thousands of years !
    They have not been dieting at all. Dieting for vanity's sake is a very recent ( in history " recent " can mean a couple of centuries or less ) thing and dieting ( in the sense of losing weight ) is even more recent.
    Two reasons; the average person just did not have the $$$$ to overeat and the calories they consumed usually were burned by doing strenuous work and those who were over weight usually were affluent people who's overweight was a sign of social standing and money.
    Only when our perception of what is esthetic changed ( the most after WWII.....because even if you look at Marilyn Monroe or other stars from the 50's and early 60's, they look considerably heavier than current movie stars)did more advanced cultures start to diet for weight loss.

• puzzled123
    puzzled123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love my scale for logging. I even took it to a friend's house for dinner, lol! I set it to zero with an empty plate and then start weighing. It's little and seems accurate - for sure better than guessing and easier than using cups and tablespoons. Mine's a Philips HR2395 and I think it looks great in the kitchen.

Good video, @stevencloser . OMG, one of the day's meals was like 2900 calories and the other 1700 or so, but they looked nearly identical.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Lol. Measure a half cup of milk, rinse measuring cup under hot water, set in dish drainer, ten seconds and done. :)

I'm sure that works fine for items that aren't oily or greasy.
  • mccindy72
    Options

So... add two drops of dish detergent and hot water, swish dish cloth through the measuring cup, rinse, and drain....... that's what I do when measuring oily or greasy liquids.
  • bonneboo
    bonneboo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    cyronius wrote: »
    I get by without a scale, but I acknowledge that means I'm likely underestimating my consumption. That's over of the reasons I only east back around 50% of my exercise calories (I use a Surge, so exercise burn is pretty accurate).

What I do do to help estimate my weights is look at the serving weights on the package and then divide it. 500g of chicken breast, 3 people eating it in roughly equal portions, then I'll call that 170g.

Me too, since 2007. Lost the weight in 2008 and maintaining. Now I'm not against those little colored cups that exercise guru girl has on Beachbody. If they weren't so expensive I'd get some.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options

So... add two drops of dish detergent and hot water, swish dish cloth through the measuring cup, rinse, and drain....... that's what I do when measuring oily or greasy liquids.

Right. I know how to wash dishes. That's the point. Washing one dish a million times is the same as washing a million dishes one time. Why bother, is what I'm saying.
  • bonneboo
    bonneboo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    @stevencloser that is genuinely terrifying, oh my god. I can't purchase a food scale (or even a person scale lol) because I live with my family. They would see weighing the dinner they give me as being offensive. I suppose opting out of things like chips, salad dressings, and pie would maybe make it easier to guess. I log my almonds by number, like 12 almonds. I definitely do eyeball the 1% milk in my morning tea. But there are things I just can't know, like how much butter was in the pan when my dad was frying lentil burgers, and how much got on my specific one. I just don't know. He doesn't know. He won't measure.

It seems like you are doing your best, keep up the good work

• mccindy72
    Options

Right. I know how to wash dishes. That's the point. Washing one dish a million times is the same as washing a million dishes one time. Why bother, is what I'm saying.

Really? So your goals of losing weight are not worth it to you? You aren't washing one dish a million times, seriously. Foolish exaggerations to make excuses not to do something that really is an easy way to help you achieve your goals. That's like saying I won't put wash my clothes when i wear them because they're *sigh* just going to get dirty again.
    Life is full of little chores, and we all just get used to doing them. If you are serious about achieving things, you do the work.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    edited July 2015
    Options

Really? So your goals of losing weight are not worth it to you? You aren't washing one dish a million times, seriously. Foolish exaggerations to make excuses not to do something that really is an easy way to help you achieve your goals. That's like saying I won't put wash my clothes when i wear them because they're *sigh* just going to get dirty again.
    Life is full of little chores, and we all just get used to doing them. If you are serious about achieving things, you do the work.

You're taking things too literally. Calm. Down. The conversation is about using scales vs. measuring cups and spoons to measure solid foods, when it's not an accurate way to do it, and, in my opinion, creates more unnecessary work when you can know EXACTLY what you're getting, rather than an estimate, by only using the dish you intend to eat out of or cook in by using a scale. Stop taking things out of context, and no, I don't have to be lazy to not want to wash extra dishes while wasting water and soap, and it doesn't hurt my goals or anyone else's ONE BIT, but rather helps achieve them in the simplest possible way.
  • mccindy72
    Options

You're taking things to literally. Calm. Down. The conversation is about using scales vs. measuring cups and spoons to measure solid foods, when it's not an accurate way to do it, and, in my opinion, creates more unnecessary work when you can know EXACTLY what you're getting, rather than an estimate, by only using the dish you intend to eat out of or cook in by using a scale. Stop taking things out of context, and no, I don't have to be lazy to not want to wash extra dishes while wasting water and soap, and it doesn't hurt my goals or anyone else's ONE BIT, but rather helps achieve them in the simplest possible way.

I'd still disagree. I use a myriad of extra dishes on my food scale, which is where I thought you were going with this (I apologize on that note). I weigh so many things separately before cooking them together, and also weigh things up for my hubs for his work lunches, so I end up using a lot of extra cups and plates.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »

People have not been dieting successfully for thousands of years !
    They have not been dieting at all. Dieting for vanity's sake is a very recent ( in history " recent " can mean a couple of centuries or less ) thing and dieting ( in the sense of losing weight ) is even more recent.
    Two reasons; the average person just did not have the $$$$ to overeat and the calories they consumed usually were burned by doing strenuous work and those who were over weight usually were affluent people who's overweight was a sign of social standing and money.
    Only when our perception of what is esthetic changed ( the most after WWII.....because even if you look at Marilyn Monroe or other stars from the 50's and early 60's, they look considerably heavier than current movie stars)did more advanced cultures start to diet for weight loss.

That's not correct.

"Hippocrates, in the 5th century BC [1] taught that fat people who want to reduce should take their exercise on an empty stomach and sit down to their food out of breath. Without recovering breath they should, before eating drink some diluted wine, and then meat should be dished up with sesame seeds seasoning. The meat should also be fat as the smallest quantity of this is filling. They should only take one meal a day, go without baths, sleep on hard beds and walk about with as little clothing as possible.

Hippocrates also included among his aphorisms that those who are naturally very fat are apt to die earlier than those who are slender [2]." --Medical History of Obesity by A. Steward Truswell