Almond butter.... foul!?!

Options
David_2015
David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
Hi all
So I got a jar of almond butter earlier to alternate with my great love, peanut butter. Just had some on toast and it was *FOUL*! So bad I didn't even finish the toast. Is it one of those foods that takes time to get used to the taste of? Am I in the minority with that view? I thought I would love it as love almonds. Any opinions welcome.

Replies

• ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Do you like almonds? I love almonds, and the first time I tried almond butter I enjoyed it because it tastes like my favorite nut.

I don't think it's something that you get used to, you either like it or you don't.

But maybe you could try almond butter with other added flavors, try it on different things... Maybe it just wasn't your thing putting it on toast. There's other combinations you can try :) I like it with bananas.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Does it have salt? We are used to the added sugar and salt in most peanut butters.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Maybe you got a bad batch. If you like almonds and you like peanut butter I can't imagine why you wouldn't like almond butter unless there was something wrong with it.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Almond butter is great. I'm guessing you might have gotten ahold of some with rancid oil, no salt or a lack of sweetener, which is added in to most nut butters.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Brand / recipe matters. The first almond butter I tried (Marantha) I also thought was terrible. Then I met Justin's almond butter. Can't seem to keep Justin's nut products out of my mouth.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    If you're used to regular peanut butter, yes, it tastes different. Just like you would get used to unsweetened peanut butter, you will get used to almond butter.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Depends on the brand, some you have stir really well every time you use them to mix the oils. I dont care for it on toast but I do like it in my oatmeal or in a smoothie
  • AnnaFit4Life
    AnnaFit4Life Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking you must have got a bad batch/brand too. If you enjoy nuts and peanut butter, it's sinfully good. I remember when I first tried it the flavor reminded me more of cashews than almonds. Delicious on toast. So good in fact I've banned it from my pantry for a while as my portion control was getting out of hand.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »
    Brand / recipe matters. The first almond butter I tried (Marantha) I also thought was terrible. Then I met Justin's almond butter. Can't seem to keep Justin's nut products out of my mouth.

I'm just gonna walk away from that one.
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    David_2015 wrote: »
    Hi all
    So I got a jar of almond butter earlier to alternate with my great love, peanut butter. Just had some on toast and it was *FOUL*! So bad I didn't even finish the toast. Is it one of those foods that takes time to get used to the taste of? Am I in the minority with that view? I thought I would love it as love almonds. Any opinions welcome.

Could be due to the fact that its canned and preserved or just the brand. Ive never tried it, but imagine it to be a completely different taste then almonds because even Peanut butter and peanuts taste different (still good) to me. Sometimes when foods are prepared differently they taste completely different, I cant think of any off the top of my head.
  • David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking you must have got a bad batch/brand too. If you enjoy nuts and peanut butter, it's sinfully good. I remember when I first tried it the flavor reminded me more of cashews than almonds. Delicious on toast. So good in fact I've banned it from my pantry for a while as my portion control was getting out of hand.

Yes! That's it exactly! It tastes like cashews. I've been trying to work out for hours what the taste reminded me of. The brand is "Meridian: Natures Energy". Thanks for the replies everyone.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I like but don't love peanut butter (except for the freshly ground honey roasted stuff from Whole Foods that tastes exactly like the inside of a fresh Reese's cup - THAT I can't put down, it's magic in a little plastic container). I can take or leave almonds - I would never choose them but I don't avoid them either. I HATE almond butter. Hate.
  • JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Was it raw almond butter? I love raw almond butter. Toasted almond butter, on the other hand, is inedible to me. Unfortunately for the near future I won't eat either. Almond butter is one of the two things I don't trust myself around. That and ice cream. Haagen Dazs dulce de leche.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »

qfpjlwa09oph.gif

I'd say you either got a bad batch or it was missing an ingredient like salt or sugar. I've wanted to try other nut butters, but I haven't found one yet that isn't "natural" (ie, no sugar and/or salt).
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Do you have "Cracked Nut Butter" in your area?
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    hater.
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    i opened a jar in the store to sample it before i bought it,it was kinda yucky so i left it on the shelf!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seed butter.

That is all.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I hated it. Love peanut butter, and enjoy many other nut butters. Almond just didn't do it for me. I love almonds as well.
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Wow--really??? I love almond butter. The Whole Foods by me has a machine where you can grind either peanut butter or almond butter fresh (not on the same machine) and that stuff is delicious! totally yummy. if I need a pick me up I will do a tablespoon of either butter without the bread to be really calorie efficient. I bet the other posters are right--rancid or a bad batch. It should taste like yummy fresh almonds, that's all.