Thigh fat

Options
13»

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    stfuriada wrote: »
    Cause to me, I have a body image/shape that I want FOR ME. FOR ME. I don't like *MY* shape. I was just stating that I don't want to be MY SHAPE.

I'm sure there are people happy/look great the way they are, and I'm fine with that for them, but not FOR ME. I want thinner thighs FOR ME. I hate MY genetics.

Does that make it clearer? Is that less offensive? Maybe my English isn't translating properly. This is my opinion ON JUST ME.

It's not just you, our whole culture hates the pear shape. (I don't entirely get where it comes from, I have a feeling [don't know for sure] that the pear shape inspires a lot of negative feelings among women who have it, compared to women with other shapes.) So I don't blame you for disliking your own. I think a lot of pears struggle with that, I know I have. Do what you want to get to what you think looks good, but I think it would be healthy to also work to accept your shape. Because you can't fundamentally change it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »

What?????

Nice shaming all the pear shapes out there.

If your thighs are still too large for your tastes, you still have body fat hanging on to lose. Pear-shape is a SHAPE, not a size.

So, in sum:
    - By hating on my shape, and personally not caring about what other people look like, I hate them all anyway.

Question though, honestly. When someone here posts "I don't want to be fat anymore, I hate being obese", do you all rush to tell them that they're "hating on" or "shaming" fat/obese people? Or when they say "I want to be in better shape", do you guys take that to mean as them hating on people who aren't in shape?

LOL! Shape in regards to body type (which is based on genetics) =/= shape in regards to fitness or body fat. Your analogy doesn't work there.

Um, kind of.. A pear shape is partly about the skeletal structure, but genetics also determine that particular body fat distribution, and to a greater or lesser degree, hormonal workings that make it very hard to strip, without going to quite low levels of body fat. (For many, that means going to an unsustainably low body fat, over the long-term). So you can say "oh you just have more fat to lose", but that is just going to be harder for pears and probably unfeasible for most.

*smh* Body type/genetics do determine where body fat tends to settle and determines where it comes off first and last. But her analogy was just about fat being a "shape" in the same context of actual body type. That was the point of my post.
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Cause to me, I have a body image/shape that I want FOR ME. FOR ME. I don't like *MY* shape. I was just stating that I don't want to be MY SHAPE.

I'm sure there are people happy/look great the way they are, and I'm fine with that for them, but not FOR ME. I want thinner thighs FOR ME. I hate MY genetics.

Does that make it clearer? Is that less offensive? Maybe my English isn't translating properly. This is my opinion ON JUST ME.

You can have a preference without shaming the other side.

it's not conscious or intentional, for most people, and those negative feelings and self-concepts are pretty deep-rooted.

(edited - read your post wrong initially) - i think it's hard to separate cultural things from personal ones, especially with body stuff
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options

What?????

If your thighs are still too large for your tastes, you still have body fat hanging on to lose. Pear-shape is a SHAPE, not a size.

So, in sum:
    - By hating on my shape, and personally not caring about what other people look like, I hate them all anyway.

Question though, honestly. When someone here posts "I don't want to be fat anymore, I hate being obese", do you all rush to tell them that they're "hating on" or "shaming" fat/obese people? Or when they say "I want to be in better shape", do you guys take that to mean as them hating on people who aren't in shape?

LOL! Shape in regards to body type (which is based on genetics) =/= shape in regards to fitness or body fat. Your analogy doesn't work there.

Um, kind of.. A pear shape is partly about the skeletal structure, but genetics also determine that particular body fat distribution, and to a greater or lesser degree, hormonal workings that make it very hard to strip, without going to quite low levels of body fat. (For many, that means going to an unsustainably low body fat, over the long-term). So you can say "oh you just have more fat to lose", but that is just going to be harder for pears and probably unfeasible for most.

*smh* Body type/genetics do determine where body fat tends to settle and determines where it comes off first and last. But her analogy was just about fat being a "shape" in the same context of actual body type. That was the point of my post.

the shape is in large part a result of the fat, is the thing. you can't really split the two apart.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

You can have a preference without shaming the other side.

I really dont think she was trying to shame anyone when she made her comment.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

What?????

So, in sum:

the shape is in large part a result of the fat, is the thing. you can't really split the two apart.

My comment was in context to what she said. You're heading off into a whole other thing.
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options

What?????

So, in sum:

My comment was in context to what she said. You're heading off into a whole other thing.

You said " Shape in regards to body type (which is based on genetics) =/= shape in regards to fitness or body fat." I'm trying to say that the body fat thing IS largely based on genetics (distribution for sure, absolute minimum quantity at a certain %, also) and so it does partly = shape.

There's a natural limit that you can't go past without staying at a very low calorie intake for a long time and/or possibly risking your health.

And so actually, when people here are like, "yeah just lose more fat", I think it can lead to a kind of shaming. Because it's almost impossible for some people without those costs and risks.
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It's so weird how off topic these threads get sometimes lol.

OP, I'm a pear shape too! Keep working out (include lunges and squats), continue to eat at a calorie deficit and you will see results! I started eating less and working out more 2.5 months ago. Now I have no cellulite on my thighs, more definition (my quads and calves were kinda big from before) and I have a thigh gap
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

What?????

So, in sum:

You cannot change your shape.

You can change your percentage of body fat and the fact that you take a size 10, and that will make it bother you much less. Pear shapes in lean women aren't really a "problem" that they're saddled with. You seem to feel that you were somehow unlucky because you inherited that body shape. I'm telling you that... nooooo, your problem is with your SIZE, not your shape.

Comparing something you can change to something you can't doesn't work, and is thus a flawed analogy.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

You don't like your shape because it's still too big for your tastes, but hey, best of luck to you.

• tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options

What?????

So, in sum:

You cannot change your shape.

You can change your percentage of body fat and the fact that you take a size 10, and that will make it bother you much less. Pear shapes in lean women aren't really a "problem" that they're saddled with. You seem to feel that you were somehow unlucky because you inherited that body shape. I'm telling you that... nooooo, your problem is with your SIZE, not your shape.

Comparing something you can change to something you can't doesn't work, and is thus a flawed analogy.

She is saying she doesn't like her shape, I don't know why people don't want to take her word on that.

Thin pears who lose enough bf to get "lean" in the thighs often get really skinny up top, which although may be pleasant for others to look at, still counters the hourglass cultural ideal and that can be hard to accept. The ways to wring comparable proportionality out of that result are to 1) get implants or 2) increase muscle mass in the arms, chest, and shoulders. I think both are lovely looks, myself, but not all pears are up for either, for whatever reasons. The alternative is to accept one's shape, which involves dealing with a bit of distance between the ideal and your own body. Which is more or less challenging for people, depending on a lot of things. So yeah, it can be a "problem" for a person to solve as far as self-esteem and self-acceptance go.

I suggest the answer is to do what you can, and work towards self-acceptance.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Keep losing and it will eventually come. As others have stated, you can't spot reduce. You can however, do lunges, squats, hip thrusters etc, to help the process along.
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It's so weird how off topic these threads get sometimes lol.

OP, I'm a pear shape too! Keep working out (include lunges and squats), continue to eat at a calorie deficit and you will see results! I started eating less and working out more 2.5 months ago. Now I have no cellulite on my thighs, more definition (my quads and calves were kinda big from before) and I have a thigh gap

Can we not with the thigh gap? :|
  • beetrotter
    beetrotter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I've visited the blogs and all I see is bickering. Not good motivation for newbies people!
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I find that the more people actually get on here and post, the more butt heads come out of the woodwork. I found that out yesterday on a different thread. I refuse to take their crap and I just look for a thread that is more supportive. It will be interesting to see how many get on my tail about THIS.
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Jesusjohnjames Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    So whats is a hour glass shape?? No such thing as a pear/