5:2 diet

im on day 5 I've fasted for two and on Wednesday I'd lost 3lb it's a very easy and flexible diet I seriously recommend

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    It's "easy" not to eat for 2 days???
    Seek professional help.

And with only 15 lb to lose (and probably not even that), 3 lb in a week is not healthy.
    1-2 lb a month would be good.

Also, advocating unhealthy eating or VLCD is against the TOS.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    edited July 2015
    Hmmm, MKEgal you're not familiar with the "5:2" plan.

It involves eating under 500 calories for any 2 days in a week, and TDEE the other 5 days.

OP there is a dedicated 5:2 group on here which is worth joining for lots of support and tips!
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Two days a week 500 calories.
    Five days a week at maintenance.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    MKEgal wrote: »
    It's "easy" not to eat for 2 days???
    Seek professional help.

And with only 15 lb to lose (and probably not even that), 3 lb in a week is not healthy.
    1-2 lb a month would be good.

Also, advocating unhealthy eating or VLCD is against the TOS.

5:2 is not a VLCD. Several people on MFP choose to eat this way and have been successful...two days of high deficit and 5 days at maintenance. At the end of the week it is the same amount of calories.

I have tried a modified version of it...800 calories for 2 days and a smaller deficit the other 5 days.

There have been many threads about the 5:2 diet on MFP. I am surprised that you haven't seen them.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I think it's stupid. 500 calories isn't fasting. Fasting is not eating.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    I don't fast unless it's medically necessary (like before surgery). Some religions fast. Without those factors, if you are physically able, eat. Eat healthy, but eat.
  • lautour
    lautour Posts: 89 Member
    I do 4:3 and find it a simpler way to structure my eating than low calorie every day. This is not a VLCD. I average between 1300-1400 calories a day (some weeks closer to 1600), and for my height and activity level that's not crazy. I like using the new feature that averages your calories for you over a week's time, so now I don't have to figure it myself!

It's still important to eat in a way that nourishes you, even though with this structure you can eat whatever you want on your "up" days. I'm still not so great at that. But it's flexible and I find that very helpful. I lose weight steadily on this plan, and I also find it to be a way I can eat for years and years. I've been doing it since March, with one week off when I went on vacation.