Bread

Options
Hey guys :)

Do any of you guys have this problem, whenever I eat bread like toast or sandwich (mostly sandwich) I get a crazy upset stomach.
But I can eat pizza and other gluten filled things fine like seitan and crackers.

It only happens with bread regardless of whether it's whole wheat.

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who had the same thing
    She only had it with fresh bread. Older bread or frozen bread not.

No idea what it was and never found out why.

She froze her breads and that went pretty well. But in the end she started to back her own which also solved it.

So cant really help you. Only what i told you here.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Never had that happen. How many sandwich fillings are you using? Maybe your sammies are too big.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    My sister has problems with gluten. She doesn't have Celiac but she cut it out and is much happier!
  • supahdupahfitness
    supahdupahfitness Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    momentai wrote: »
    Hey guys :)

Do any of you guys have this problem, whenever I eat bread like toast or sandwich (mostly sandwich) I get a crazy upset stomach.
    But I can eat pizza and other gluten filled things fine like seitan and crackers.

It only happens with bread regardless of whether it's whole wheat.

Same here, mother too, we think it could be something to do with having our appendix's out. For the pair of us it started almost straight after.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    yes but what is it when it isn't gluten/carbs etc. Just bread!
    So white/brown/whole wheat/croissants

You can eat all the other stuff, crackers pizza etc no problem at all
    But bread ( in my friends case fresh bread) upsets your stomach badly.

On thing i have heard...( so no prove) is that (fresh) bread forms a clump like dough in your stomach. But is it true? when so is it the cause.
    It would explain maybe why frozen and older bread didn't do it to her.

But like i said, she never found out.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Is yeast somehow involved? You say pizza is OK, but is that all pizza, or thin crust, or what? I know I'm reaching on this.
  • maggiemay530
    maggiemay530 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My sister and I have noticed indigestion and acid reflux after eating bread... and not a problem with wraps, english muffins, pizza etc. Weird, huh?
  • momentai
    momentai Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Is yeast somehow involved? You say pizza is OK, but is that all pizza, or thin crust, or what? I know I'm reaching on this.
    I make my own pizza and use yeast.

• momentai
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Never had that happen. How many sandwich fillings are you using? Maybe your sammies are too big.

I get it no matter what I put on my sandwiches, even if its just cucumber and hummus (which I can eat fine on crackers)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I get it no matter what I put on my sandwiches, even if its just cucumber and hummus (which I can eat fine on crackers)

So strange. If you didn't say that you could eat pizza, which in my mind has a puffier crust, I would say that maybe the crackers don't bother you because of something in the cooking process that leaves them crispier is affecting the ingredients so that they don't bother you. But pizza crust is so close to regular bread in my mind that I have no idea what it could be.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    When I eat grains, I always have a stomachache and end up in the bathroom at some point. This isn't new to me - my mom is also the same as is my older brother, but we all have different trigger foods. My husband has IBS and always deals with it as well. We try to work around dietary needs at all times.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options

Are you making your own bread as well?

• momentai
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

No I am not, I have tried many brands of bread
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm going to suggest it's one of the preservatives or some such in store bought bread if you have no issues with home made pizza dough. No preservative bakery bread or home made could be worth a go?
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Could it be a common ingredient in commercial bread, like a dough conditioner or something that isn't typically found in other things. The basic ingredients of bread and pizza dough are pretty much identical (flour, water, yeast, salt and maybe some type of oil or butter).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

No I am not, I have tried many brands of bread

If this doesn't happen with pizza dough that you make yourself, but does happen with store bought bread, try making bread from scratch and see what happens.

You need a really long lead time for this one, but otherwise it's super easy and very yummy. You also need a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot, such as cast-iron or Pyrex (dutch oven).

http://www.marthastewart.com/332658/no-knead-bread
  • BlessedOne2019
    BlessedOne2019 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Could it be that maybe you just don't notice the stomach problems as much with the other stuff? I got so used to my stomach hurting all the time, that unless the pain was REALLY bad, I pretty much could ignore it. Once I stopped eating all the stuff that has gluten in it, my stomach pretty much stopped hurting all the time! And no, I don't have celiacs, just a very severe gluten sensitivity!
  • momentai
    Options
    Could it be that maybe you just don't notice the stomach problems as much with the other stuff? I got so used to my stomach hurting all the time, that unless the pain was REALLY bad, I pretty much could ignore it. Once I stopped eating all the stuff that has gluten in it, my stomach pretty much stopped hurting all the time! And no, I don't have celiacs, just a very severe gluten sensitivity!

I don't think I'm gluten sensitivite, I make seitan (wheat gluten) and eat it by the butt load and have no problem at all with it. It must be something other then gluten in bread that does not work for me.
    I think maybe it's just to much at once and might clog me up. Cause I'm fine if I just have a bite of a sandwich