Letting go of booze!

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Lovely alcohol. The social lubricant. The anxiety reducer. The crisp drink on a hot summer afternoon. THE SABATEUR TO MY WEIGHT LOSS! Alcohol makes me binge. I don't mean it makes me care less. I mean full on binge. And my "I'll have one beer" turns into 4. So....I am embarkimg on a path to clear alcohol from my diet. Maybe not forever, but hey, maybe forever. At least July. Anyone else experience similar issues/care to join?

I did that. Other than a glass of wine at family holiday dinners like Thanksgiving and Christmas, I stayed away from alcohol for about a year (and lost 80 lb). Recently I started adding it back in and I found out 2 things: 1) I can have one glass of wine or 1 beer and really enjoy it when I do and 2) I no longer need it to feel social. If I don't make some big announcement that I am only having NA drinks tonight, nobody cares. I just order what I want and leave it at that.

• H1L5
    H1L5 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi I am hoping that cutting back on alcohol is going to be the answer to me losing weight. I've tried dieting but I already have quite a healthy diet so wasn't having much success. So I'm blaming the booze. I used to drink at least half a bottle of wine a day and lots more when partying. So now I don't drink at all at home but I don't want to be a party pooper so I do have a small drink when I'm out with friends.
    I've been doing this for about a month but have been to a few parties so...... I don't know how much I've lost because I hate weighing myself but I feel better. I would really welcome some support from other people who are cutting back. I have not been on MFP for over a year so have lost most of my friends.
  • SSeitz775
    SSeitz775 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm a homemaker and I have no friends here, so I am home all day with just my dogs. I was drinking pretty much every single day. Margaritas and Moscow Mules every day will definitely hinder my weight loss goals, so I stopped once I started my weight loss journey a month ago. I'll definitely have a drink or two on my bday (7/25), but my goal is no alcohol until I go on vacation in November.
  • themonstermash
    themonstermash Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    edwardetr wrote: »
    As far as one beer leading to four, that is a problem for me, too. I've found a non-alcoholic (<.5%) beer that I actually like. It's called Clausthaler. It's the only NA beer I've ever enjoyed. When I get home from the gym, I crack open an ice cold one and it satisfies the craving. Without the alcohol, I'm much less likely to have another.

Also, alcohol does not get converted to fat. It is metabolized to acetate. It does, however, get preferential treatment, so other calories consumed with alcohol will more likely be stored as fat. Those carbs in your beer take a back seat to the ethanol. Do a shot of the hard stuff on an empty stomach, instead.

I've actually never considered a non-alcoholic beer! I think I'll play around with a few different deliciius and low cal beverages so thatbI have SOMETHING to replace it with. Because yes, opening up a delicious cold one after getting home from whatever hectic activity may be a bit of a habitual & ritualistic thing.
  • themonstermash
    Options
    surprisingly i was on the verge of giving up alcohol as i thought it was the cause, but nope, just reigned in my food and lost weight this last month still drinking. and i mean still drinking like 15-20 beers 3-5 nights a week drinking.

As long as i don't eat crap when i'm drunk, and i plan on the calories, i'm good. and i also feel it helps to limit carbs on beer days. but that could just be me.

Wow what kind of low cal beer are you drinking? My problem is i love a good stout. Not low cal...not at all.

I don't know what stouts you drink, but a Guinness is about as low calorie as real beer gets. Beer calories are 99%a function of ABV, and a regular stout is very low alcohol. If you're talking about an 11% double imperial, on the other hand, have one for me.

I actually never drink Guinness becaude they use fish bladders in their beer making process lol! But to be honest I'm usually out, will order a fantastic sounding beer only to log it afterwards and see a good 250 for a pint. And like i mentioned earlier, one becomes four EASY and then I'm like yes, fries sound awesome. Should I pre-log? Probably...but i think for now it's better to just cut it out so I'm less dependent in general.
  • themonstermash
    Options
    Imogensmom wrote: »
    I'd like to join though I am late finding this thread.

Join! Today is only my second day not drinking!
  • themonstermash
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Lovely alcohol. The social lubricant. The anxiety reducer. The crisp drink on a hot summer afternoon. THE SABATEUR TO MY WEIGHT LOSS! Alcohol makes me binge. I don't mean it makes me care less. I mean full on binge. And my "I'll have one beer" turns into 4. So....I am embarkimg on a path to clear alcohol from my diet. Maybe not forever, but hey, maybe forever. At least July. Anyone else experience similar issues/care to join?

I did that. Other than a glass of wine at family holiday dinners like Thanksgiving and Christmas, I stayed away from alcohol for about a year (and lost 80 lb). Recently I started adding it back in and I found out 2 things: 1) I can have one glass of wine or 1 beer and really enjoy it when I do and 2) I no longer need it to feel social. If I don't make some big announcement that I am only having NA drinks tonight, nobody cares. I just order what I want and leave it at that.

I am hoping to reintroduce it later & to have similar results as yourself. Although i only have 10 lbs. to lose I have definitely been struggling with these same 10 for a good while (i suspect due to frequent alcohol and food binges!)
  • themonstermash
    Options
    H1L5 wrote: »
    Hi I am hoping that cutting back on alcohol is going to be the answer to me losing weight. I've tried dieting but I already have quite a healthy diet so wasn't having much success. So I'm blaming the booze. I used to drink at least half a bottle of wine a day and lots more when partying. So now I don't drink at all at home but I don't want to be a party pooper so I do have a small drink when I'm out with friends.
    I've been doing this for about a month but have been to a few parties so...... I don't know how much I've lost because I hate weighing myself but I feel better. I would really welcome some support from other people who are cutting back. I have not been on MFP for over a year so have lost most of my friends.

I don't mean to be rude, but are you accurately counting calories through weighing foods and tracking exercise? Having a healthy diet is wonderful and I applaud you for that, but eating healthy foods does not necessarily mean you will lose weight. You can eat over or at maintenance calories while eating healthy foods.
  • themonstermash
    Options
    SSeitz775 wrote: »
    I'm a homemaker and I have no friends here, so I am home all day with just my dogs. I was drinking pretty much every single day. Margaritas and Moscow Mules every day will definitely hinder my weight loss goals, so I stopped once I started my weight loss journey a month ago. I'll definitely have a drink or two on my bday (7/25), but my goal is no alcohol until I go on vacation in November.

Its tough once you get into the habit of daily drinking. Especially when I'm alone im tempted to buy a bottle of wine and watch movies!
  • TrishV2013
    TrishV2013 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was a heavy drinker (wine) until recently when I got very serious about my weight loss. I can easily polish off a bottle or bottle and a half of wine by myself and of course overeat because of it. I have given it up entirely since I started in early June. My husband and I had sparkling wine at our anniversary dinner at the end of June and I had bloated so much the next day that I vowed not to do it again. My goal is to enjoy red wine sparingly but once I have lost the weight. I am a wine club member and would go up to Napa usually every month for pick up parties and indulging. I have suspended by account for the time being.

I have done it for health reasons too, as I come from a family of alcoholics, diabetics, heart disease, and people with various health issues. I love wine (and the culture that goes with it) but it's just not worth it to me anymore. I admire the people who can just have one drink and be done with it. :)
  • karisrunning
    karisrunning Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yup..also have that issue. I just cut it off completely... just not worth all those calories. I was so bloated from drinking beer. Now in the summer is hardest..with all the beer gardens and beer festivals. I also live in front of a brewery..haha! ..soooo the temptation is high. Cut it out of your diet for a while and perhaps allow yourself something a bit less heavy on calories.. like a fruit smoothie with a shot of vodka.. kind of like a summer cocktail, if you really miss the buzz.
  • SweetDesiderata
    SweetDesiderata Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yep, alcohol is definitely something I have made an absolute goal to cut! I was easily drinking 3-4 days a week. And the stuff I like to drink is just FULL of sugar and cals! My drink of choice is the Strawberritas... I would get 3 cans of those and call it a night! I too have the problem that if I am tipsy, then I have to eat ALL the things... and then I just completely de-rail my tracking. I only have 1 week under my belt, but so far I only drank a little bit on 1 of those days... and I already feel so much better and my head is clear! And to be honest, when I did have those drinks the 1 day, they didnt even taste that great. So hopefully I am on the right track :smiley:
  • syrupspew
    syrupspew Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Congrats on another day!

For me it wasn't a matter of calories but a need to clean up my act. I don't do moderation well. Alcohol, pizza, or donuts. When people on the forums discount food addiction, I think great than I am not an alcoholic either. ;) My relationship is the same with both I don't want one donut and I don't want one drink either. I don't even like sweets that much, but if I see a tray of donuts, I want to take a bite out of everyone and then decide what order to eat them in.
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    One other trick that comes to mind if you like wine. Get a soda stream or buy seltzer and put a splash of wine as a spritzer. You get a little taste and the ritual without drinking too much.
  • themonstermash
    Options
    Yup..also have that issue. I just cut it off completely... just not worth all those calories. I was so bloated from drinking beer. Now in the summer is hardest..with all the beer gardens and beer festivals. I also live in front of a brewery..haha! ..soooo the temptation is high. Cut it out of your diet for a while and perhaps allow yourself something a bit less heavy on calories.. like a fruit smoothie with a shot of vodka.. kind of like a summer cocktail, if you really miss the buzz.

I know! I usually go to festivals in the spring, and i drank SO much. I am planning on going to Portland vegan beer & food frstival at the end of august so will probably drink then. But until....i am trying to stay clear.
  • themonstermash
    Options
    Yep, alcohol is definitely something I have made an absolute goal to cut! I was easily drinking 3-4 days a week. And the stuff I like to drink is just FULL of sugar and cals! My drink of choice is the Strawberritas... I would get 3 cans of those and call it a night! I too have the problem that if I am tipsy, then I have to eat ALL the things... and then I just completely de-rail my tracking. I only have 1 week under my belt, but so far I only drank a little bit on 1 of those days... and I already feel so much better and my head is clear! And to be honest, when I did have those drinks the 1 day, they didnt even taste that great. So hopefully I am on the right track :smiley:

I used to drink Sparks (not sure if thwy make them anymore...they were like energy drink/booze. I know, awful). Until i realized how much freakin sugar is in those badboys.
  • themonstermash
    Options
    syrupspew wrote: »

Congrats on another day!

For me it wasn't a matter of calories but a need to clean up my act. I don't do moderation well. Alcohol, pizza, or donuts. When people on the forums discount food addiction, I think great than I am not an alcoholic either. ;) My relationship is the same with both I don't want one donut and I don't want one drink either. I don't even like sweets that much, but if I see a tray of donuts, I want to take a bite out of everyone and then decide what order to eat them in.

Lol! Yeah i wish i could do the one drink thing. I can soetimes have two and call it, but thats the exception rather than the rule
  • themonstermash
    Options
    edwardetr wrote: »
    One other trick that comes to mind if you like wine. Get a soda stream or buy seltzer and put a splash of wine as a spritzer. You get a little taste and the ritual without drinking too much.

:) thanks for all the tips & tricks. LOVE the support on mfp!
  • freak4iron
    freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    I cut out alcohol completley in order to focus on my diet and performance. Everything is going way better including my running times and distances. Count me in guys.
  • tottie3912
    tottie3912 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

tottie3912 wrote: »
    So funny, I started 6 days ago and was thinking of posting the same! Cleaned up my diet food wise over the past two years, but could not shake the binge. Beer is my go to choice, but I can throw down whatever! And I am not talking about social drinking. It became a daily thing at home. Yes it's wrecked my figure, but what made me drop it was due to health issues rearing their ugly head. I'm In!

Yeah, i also used to drink home alone. I tried to cut it to only drinking while im out, but that usually leads me to buying more on the way home and chugging and eating.

Not exactly drinking home alone. My husband has been my partner in crime over the past 9 years. Got to the point of him making me drinks or cracking a beer for me without my asking ...would always set before me. Was like it became habit and he knew what I liked. But also was hard on days I just wanted to take a break with a drink always by me. I talked to him of my issue, but it was not until I started having health issues he took me seriously.