Vegetarian diets are best for weight loss/ healthy hearts

Options

Replies

• SugarySweetheart
    SugarySweetheart Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    VeggieStef wrote: »
    As long as you don't replace the meat with junk food or pills then I do believe it will make you a healthier person. I feel and look better as a vegetarian than I ever did as a meat eater. Good luck to you in whatever you end up choosing. I hope you get good results when you go back to your doctor. I think it is always a good idea to try and make lifestyle changes and see if that works for you before taking medication.

I appreciate you saying that since I myself am becoming a vegetarian. My sister has been a vegetarian for years and my other sister a vegan and I felt I could continue eating meat and getting the same results. They were both healthier and thinner on account of their "lifestyles." Recently I decided to go vegetarian with my family and we're seeing great improvements.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    1Luv0110 wrote: »
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Total b.s. re the weight loss.smiley-angry007.gif
    And I say this as someone who mostly eats lentils, beans, some eggs.

What "track" are you supposed to be on?
    Ask the doc to send you to a dietician if he/she wants you to lose weight.

They referred me to a dietician to help me get the hang of the no meat thing. This is going to be hard

The truth is that you can add some meals to your your week like pinto bean tacos, black bean chili, broccoli and pasta, chic pea curry, taco salad, chic pea salad wraps, lentil burgers/meat loaf.

Maybe you will be allowed low fat fish and chicken.
  • VeggieStef
    VeggieStef Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    VeggieStef wrote: »
    As long as you don't replace the meat with junk food or pills then I do believe it will make you a healthier person. I feel and look better as a vegetarian than I ever did as a meat eater. Good luck to you in whatever you end up choosing. I hope you get good results when you go back to your doctor. I think it is always a good idea to try and make lifestyle changes and see if that works for you before taking medication.

I appreciate you saying that since I myself am becoming a vegetarian. My sister has been a vegetarian for years and my other sister a vegan and I felt I could continue eating meat and getting the same results. They were both healthier and thinner on account of their "lifestyles." Recently I decided to go vegetarian with my family and we're seeing great improvements.

That is awesome! I am now a vegan but was a vegetarian for many years before. I think doing one at a time worked best for me. You can add me if you like. There are a lot of nice veggie people here on MFP that are encouraging and can give you some really good food ideas.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    First of all, I would say listen to your Doctor, I know that many people on here will say that Doctors don't have a lot of nutritional training, but in this case your Dr. is referring you to a RD, so I think that is a good sign. Also it sounds like your Dr. is trying to avoid you having to take medication, unless it is absolutely necessary. If you have a medical issue that is concerning, then I think you should listen to your Dr. first, and if you need to you can always seek a second opinion.
  • 1Luv0110
    1Luv0110 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I am hoping to be able to just eat lean meats such as chicken and fish half of the week and then the rest of the time have no meat option meals. Once I can get my weight under control I hope it helps out with my cholesterol and then I can just learn to manage eating leaner, healthier foods.. I do not want to be on medication
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian diets can be healthier than those that include meat. They can also be less healthy. Depends on how you do it!

If you see a dietitian, they'll get the info from the doctor and then work with you on a plan that is just for you, including things you like, etc.

Around here, everyone talks about dietitians as they relate to weight loss. They are good for that. But their biggest strength - the place they come in handiest! - is when you're on some special medical diet, especially one that seems bizarre and obscure. They're like, "Oh, yeah, I know about that. I can help you."

When I got my obscure diet with special stuff tacked on, I was confused. She wasn't. She was a Godsend.

They're really much more helpful when you have special considerations!!
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    Eat in deficit, exercise, and avoid foods high in saturated fat.

My total cholesterol dropped 80 points in 2 months after basically doing this, although I have not avoided foods high in saturated fat.

I dropped my cholesterol by the same amount by adding exercise and removing all saturated fat. I used to have a piece of toast with butter for example.

I also take a good phytosterol with betasistoral supplement with every meal. My doctor is very happy with my cholesterol!

But, now I guess there are some new studies that are questioning if high cholesterol really leads to heart disease? I don't know.

• rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Try looking into the Mediteranan diet.
    The cornerstone is Olive oil.
    I found out from a dietician that if you eat 50 grams of fat a day, just 10 grams should be Saturated fat (chicken). So a one to five ratio.
    I've been eating this way for a month and the coolest thing is my stomach just went away after about four days. Prior to, I only ever ate about twenty grams of fat and it was Saturated. So apparently the human body needs the good fat to go about removing the bad fat. Saturated fat is needed by the body but not in the quantities we eat.
    So before you go vegetarian, consider checking into this diet instead. It has good reviews on the internet for solving all kinds of health problems.
  • B_TEEN
    B_TEEN Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Will I be healthier by changing what I eat?

Yes, a plant-based diet can result in highly positive changes and improve heart health (see Drs. Campbell, Ornish, Esselstyn). It's great your MD referred you to a RD; I applaud any doctor that believes nutrition is the first step to healing the body. You have a trusted team helping you through the process along with great resources (books, internet sites and forums).

Will you be healthier by changing you diet? Well, it depends, largely on how you eat as a "vegetarian". The aforementioned doctors recommend a whole-foods (minimally processed), plant-based low-fat diet (<---wordy) and they've written books explaining their position. In short, you can enjoy an abundance of fruit, vegetables, legumes, and grains while consuming minimal amounts of fat (seed, avocado, and nuts) but eliminating all refined foods and fats.

It is a radical but very freeing shift but comes with great benefits and even simplicity. Beyond heart health, many see improvements in energy, weight loss and relief of other ailments (disclaimer: when one eats sufficient calories). You are not relegated to eating salads all day and for the serious cook, one could look to cookbooks authors Amy Chaplain and Sarah Britton for great recipes.
    Anyone change their lifestyle and become a vegetarian for weight loss or heart health reasons?

Yes, I first ventured into psuedo-vegetarianism for weight loss purposes some time ago. It was a transition - first eliminating beef, then pork, later turkey, and then chicken; but I still ate fish and eggs. It started off good but I struggled with eating out / social gatherings and managing work related travel. Due to poor planning, I'd often consume a lot of junk food. Needless to say, it was a weight loss/gain yo-yo effect; I never got to my goal.

Then, I had a unexpected situation occur in my life that required me to pay attention to my health. It was then, I decided to understand what diet would serve best in healing and energizing my body. I read books, scoured the internet and ultimately realized that a plant-based diet would be optimal for my goals. With new knowledge, I realized my previous attempts at vegetarianism, while an improvement on SAD, wasn't nutrient-dense or particularly healthy.

Sorry for this long post but I hope you give this a fair chance. Take the time to research this (along with the RD). Focus on what you can have and you like that falls within the "good for you" parameters. It may take time to develop a strong foundation and habit. This diet can very well heal the wrong that is going on internally.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rwhyte12 wrote: »
    Try looking into the Mediteranan diet.
    The cornerstone is Olive oil.
    I found out from a dietician that if you eat 50 grams of fat a day, just 10 grams should be Saturated fat (chicken). So a one to five ratio.
    I've been eating this way for a month and the coolest thing is my stomach just went away after about four days. Prior to, I only ever ate about twenty grams of fat and it was Saturated. So apparently the human body needs the good fat to go about removing the bad fat. Saturated fat is needed by the body but not in the quantities we eat.
    So before you go vegetarian, consider checking into this diet instead. It has good reviews on the internet for solving all kinds of health problems.

Chicken fat is only 29% saturated fat. (Olive oil is 12% saturated fat.)

Unsaturated fat removing saturated fat (or body fat) is not a thing.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I've been told that some people's bodies just naturally create excessive cholesterol regardless of what they eat (or don't eat).

This is correct.

My boyfriend had extremely high cholesterol when we first started dating. I went on a mission with him to change this. We added in more veggie sides at dinner, added in WAY more fiber (via produce and fiber-added oatmeals, cereals, etc.), and cut down the red meat to once every week or two. We never stopped eating eggs, meat, fat, etc.

This, combined with daily exercise (although he was not overweight to begin with) dropped his total cholesterol from over 300 to under 200 in 5 months.

My point is you can make small but effective changes, if a complete diet change is unsustainable in the long run.
  • apmat
    apmat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for two years and had very low dietary cholesterol but high blood cholesterol and triglycerides. I went off the vegetarian diet but kept losing weight. After 50 lbs lost my cholesterol and triglycerides dropped to normal levels for the first time in my life. I still eat mostly vegetarian for health and ethical reasons, not cholesterol. Most vegetarian diets are healrhier than non-vegetarian ( excluding oreos & doritos) but there is nothing magical about 100%. Eating a more vegetables and a more vegetarian diet will probably improve your nutrition even if you only eat vegetarian some of the time.
  • VeggieStef
    VeggieStef Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    apmat wrote: »
    I was a vegetarian for two years and had very low dietary cholesterol but high blood cholesterol and triglycerides. I went off the vegetarian diet but kept losing weight. After 50 lbs lost my cholesterol and triglycerides dropped to normal levels for the first time in my life. I still eat mostly vegetarian for health and ethical reasons, not cholesterol. Most vegetarian diets are healrhier than non-vegetarian ( excluding oreos & doritos) but there is nothing magical about 100%. Eating a more vegetables and a more vegetarian diet will probably improve your nutrition even if you only eat vegetarian some of the time.

Agree!!! You don't have to be 100%, it isn't all or nothing :)

• Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    No one "diet" is best for weight lose or health. The best diet is one that you can stick to and maintain for a life time. There are more healthy choices a person can make than others as well as eating at a calorie deficit. The issue with a vegetarian diet is the difficulty for getting adequate protein. If you can maintain that way of life for the rest of your life, more power to you.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Nah. Just eat *lean* meats and weigh the portions.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    My family has a history of heart disease and I am on a statin. The push now has been for me to watch my saturated fats from animal sources, and saturated fats in general, so I am eating less meat and full fat dairy than I used to, but I am still eating some of both daily.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Unless spiritually or morally compelled to eliminate meat from your diet, I don't see a need to. Eating lean animal proteins that aren't fried in something seems fine to me...and I'm a 20+ year pescetarian (fish and veg only, and even then, only occasional fish). I don't see elimination diets as being sustainable long-term, unless there is something else at bay. And yes, you can be overweight as a vegetarian (raises hand) and have high cholesterol (my step father who has been a total, die-hard vegetarian longer than I have.) So...reconsider if your heart isn't in it! A registered nutritionist could help you meet your goals...
  • Blondiez73
    Blondiez73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Or are they??

I am a die hard meat eater, but since having high cholesterol and other health issues I have been instructed to go on a no meat diet for 3 months to help my body get on track. Are vegetarians more healthy?
    my doctor feels that instead of putting me on cholesterol medication I can stop eating meat and high fatty foods for a while.
    Instead of me taking a bunch of other pills to help w/ nutrition I can see a dietician for healthy vegetarian and full of veggie recipes.

Anyone change their lifestyle and become a vegetarian for weight loss or heart health reasons?
    Will I be healthier by changing what I eat?

You might want to watch this. Its an hour long, a bit slow, but very informative.

https://youtu.be/AYTf0z_zVs0

Also, watch this. A real eye opener.

https://youtu.be/TJvrlwnEqbs
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I had to go on an all vegetarian diet due to severe acid reflux that took me six months to straighten out. And I used to only eat protein and vegetables. A vegetarian diet that includes lots of whole grains, oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice etc.. will fix a lot more than an unhealthy heart. A good book to get is 'The Digestive Tune-Up', excellent... It explains why heart disease, gerd etc is a disease of affluence that mostly only Americans suffer from due to the rich diet of meats, cheeses etc... There are other ways to get protein other than meat, that is a false idea that's been fed to us by the media.
    I'm back to adding a little meat or fish back into my diet but nothing like it was before, also I eat lots more whole grains and no processed food at all.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My personal belief is that the Western world eats way too much meat to be good for us and the planet. But....that doesn't mean you have to go full blown veggie or vegan.

IMO limiting meat to half the week as you said seems a good idea :) I hope it works for you.