Strength Training?

Options
Eve53
Eve53 Posts: 178 Member
Do you log it? If it doesn't effect my calories, I kinda wonder if it's worth the bother of logging every machine I went to, every set, every rep... What's the consensus on this?

Replies

• michaelinnc84
    michaelinnc84 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I log strength training as cardio because I burn about 400 calories doing a 45 minute strength training workout.
  • Eve53
    Options
    Do you break it down by which muscle you used, or do you just search for "Strength Training." in cardio? I don't really know that it would be cardio in my case, I don't get my heart going too much. Actually this is the time that I let my heart calm down after my cardio.
  • michaelinnc84
    michaelinnc84 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My heart races when I am doing squats, deadlifts, bench presses and things like that. I wouldn't say it is cardio exactly but I do burn a good amount of calories while doing to work out so I log it under strength training under cardio.
  • Eve53
    Options
    Ah, see I don't do that stuff. I use the wimpy machines, lol. I work on legs one day, arms another, and core on another day. Basically I just make my way around the gym and use the machines that target the muscles I want to target.

Also, it sounds like you're using something to track your calorie loss like a fitbit or something, I don't have that. So I wouldn't know if I was burning while on these machines.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I just track it as strength/weight training in the cardio category and go by time. I use the machines too. I also have a Fitbit so I don't track my step based exercise.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Eve53 wrote: »
    Do you log it? If it doesn't effect my calories, I kinda wonder if it's worth the bother of logging every machine I went to, every set, every rep... What's the consensus on this?

I don't log my strength training. All the calorie counts & burns are estimates, so I consider my lifting burns extra "insurance" I'm eating at a true deficit.

But there is no consensus.
  • Eve53
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    Eve53 wrote: »

I don't log my strength training. All the calorie counts & burns are estimates, so I consider my lifting burns extra "insurance" I'm eating at a true deficit.

But there is no consensus.

I like this idea.
  • ermand
    ermand Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Strength training is honestly minimal in terms of calories burned. I just log it as general, but at the end of the day don't even count it, and eat all the calories back.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Log it under cardio if you want, but the burn is VERY minimal.
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    On MFP, I log it as strength training, so I can see what I've done on any given day. On my Fitbit (surge) I log it as weights, but I understand it's not terribly accurate. But as I only ever eat back 50% of my exercise, I'm not too worried about how accurate it is. It seems to be doing the job so far...
  • Eve53
    Options
    cyronius wrote: »
    On MFP, I log it as strength training, so I can see what I've done on any given day. On my Fitbit (surge) I log it as weights, but I understand it's not terribly accurate. But as I only ever eat back 50% of my exercise, I'm not too worried about how accurate it is. It seems to be doing the job so far...

I really need to get a fitbit, I feel like the calorie counting for working out is such an estimate.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I log strength training as cardio because I burn about 400 calories doing a 45 minute strength training workout.

No you don't so I hope you're not eating those back
  • Sued0nim
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My heart races when I am doing squats, deadlifts, bench presses and things like that. I wouldn't say it is cardio exactly but I do burn a good amount of calories while doing to work out so I log it under strength training under cardio.

Heart beating fast is not directly correlated to calorie burn

I imagine you are using an HRM ..,,don't ...the mathematical formula that underpin the hr to calorie burn is based on steady state cardio exercise only and that is all it can be used for

The calorie burn you're getting on your HRM from increased Hr in strength training is out by 50-75% possibly more

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10206157/if-you-use-or-plan-to-use-an-hrm#latest

(And I disliked / disbelieved the poster who told me this too...but he was right)
  • hippytee
    hippytee Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Strength training is the best exercise for fat burning, it continues to burn calories up to 36 hours after working out.
  • Sued0nim
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think you're conflating a lot of stuff you've read there

Muscles burn more calories than fat at rest; HIIT has a larger afterburn than steady-state etc
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I log it, but never logged many calories for it. Now I do TDEE method, so I log 1 calorie; I think I logged 100 calories before for a session. I didn't/don't write down everything I did, but I have a separate spreadsheet for that. On MFP I just log "strength training" in the cardio section.