This Chart Shows People with the Same BMI May Look Different

2»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    BMI is useful as one benchmark, but it should not be the only benchmark of health as it seems to have become.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    zaxx1953 wrote: »
    Why have a BMI in the first place?

Why not judge each actual case on its own merits.

The whole idea is deeply flawed, but if you're going to create some mindless table, try using a better set of criteria including wrist and ankle circumference.

You have me curious, what do ankle and wrist measurements have to tell us? I've not read that before?

Generally those measurements speak to the frame size/bone thickness/build of people. These factors affect body weight more than height often.

They don't so much affect body weight as they are something to be mindful of in comparing body weights for heights in comparing groups of individuals.

Different frame sizes mean that two people at the same height might not have the same ideal weight range to hope to achieve, but their frame size doesn't AFFECT that, their own calorie consumption does.

• PeachyCarol
    edited July 2015
    hekla90 wrote: »
    Why have a BMI in the first place?

Why not judge each actual case on its own merits.

The whole idea is deeply flawed, but if you're going to create some mindless table, try using a better set of criteria including wrist and ankle circumference.

You have me curious, what do ankle and wrist measurements have to tell us? I've not read that before?

Generally those measurements speak to the frame size/bone thickness/build of people. These factors affect body weight more than height often.
    Um so height doesn't influence frame size? Alrighty then lol

Not really. Each height has different frame sizes associated with it. I'm very short, but I have a medium frame for my height. Some women my height can weigh 98 pounds or so because they have smaller frames. I don't and would weigh too little. The lowest recommended weight for my frame size is 115.

• PeachyCarol
    RonRoff wrote: »
    Great, but what do all those things have to do with BMI?

Thats pretty simple, said poster inclined that he didn't understand why his doctor called him unhealthy. The BMI is just a number yes, but it's clearly visible that the number is not just a random figure.

Why is it important?

Saying something isn't random certainly isn't a compelling argument for elevating it to being important in the process.

Why not simply use waist circumference? That isn't random either, right?

Waist circumference isn't random. It's correlated with the storage of visceral fat.

• mokaiba
    mokaiba Posts: 141 Member
    edited July 2015
    auddii wrote: »
    mokaiba wrote: »
    annette_15 wrote: »
    I mean.. not to be rude, but you certainly dont LOOK healthy, even if you might be... so I can see why your doctor is concerned

looks can be deceiving. other than being fat, I have no medical issues (blood pressure, disease, etc) other than the physical ones I sustained in the military, which are the main cause for me even becoming fat (hard to exercise when in pain and those things I do at the bottom are only recent...it took years to be able to achieve those (quite happy about it)).
    Im 35.3 BMI. I think I look more like between over weight and class I. Hell, from the front you can even see where my abs are/would be.

I can do 100 situps in two minutes, easily do 20 pullups, bench 200lbs, squat 200lbs, and bicycle (bad knees, cant run) 6 miles in 30 minutes all while looking like a fat slob. yet, that 35 makes my doctor say im unhealthy.

I think you're looking a things a little bit more positive than they actually are. You may have a reasonable condition, your strength is average for someone that works out. But you cannot deny that you're pretty overweight. (you are trying to lose 38 pounds, so i'm pretty sure you are aware of that)

When i was your posture* i figured i had enough of this crap and wanted to lose all of it, for my mobility, agility, self-respect and basically for my future.

Anyway, i wish you good luck in your journey, i hope you will shed that weight and feel even fitter!

*here's my 100 days post with pictures where i started at 34.1 bmi, http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176614/100-days-of-mfp#latest

see above response. I agree that im fat but i'm not entirely at fault for it (one of the few who can legit say that).

Of course it's not your fault... http://themighty.com/2015/07/2photographer-captures-confidence-of-wounded-veterans-in-new-book/

i cant tell if youre trolling or being serious. not all amputees are 8% body fat and on the fat topic not all military are less than 10% body fat. Hell, the usa military dont even consider males with 25% body fat (female 31%) to be fat. If you can meet all the physical requirements at 25% body fat then the military doesnt care that youre 25%. however, if youre 27%, they will put you in additional training to lower the body fat (just more exercising...they dont control your food intake because it doesnt matter what you eat to them only what you burn). typically, soldiers who are 27% or higher have just been eating too much fast food and cutting it out for a few months will make them drop in weight and be removed from the additional training.

on a side note, I am only 28% body fat. again, another example of images being deceiving.

I'm referring to you saying you being overweight isn't entirely your fault because injuries/pain. There are people with big injuries that make it a priority. Ultimately it's a priority and a choice for the vast vast majority of people.

Where on earth did you get that I thought all military members are 8% body fat? And are you trolling?! 28% body fat what method got that result?

All those people in those photos are 8/10% body fat. The va hospital checked my body fat last month.

Its a bit insulting what you're saying. You've obviously never been seriously injured to the point that simply standing up causes you pain for a decade. Amputees lose the limb, it hurts, and then it hurts while the end heals then it stops. some of them get phantom pain but its occasional, not constant like mine.

know what, not even going to bother with you other than posting what I have.

You clearly don't know much about amputees. My friend is a bilateral amputee and had both of her legs removed below the knee about 12 years ago. She has been in and out of the hospital since with infections, plus her legs rub and tear hee skin which is very thin. She works very hard in the gym when she can, but it's definitely not easy for her.

"There are two types of pain: acute and persistent. Acute pain tends to be severe and lasts a short time. Persistent pain can last for long periods of time, even years. It can range from mild to severe."

As for your friend. She needs to take better care of herself if she is constantly having infections. -->

"The socket of the prosthesis creates an airtight, warm, damp, contained space where the person’s natural body oils and sweat collect—an environment that encourages the growth of bacteria and development of infection. Damp skin tends to break down, giving bacteria easy entry into the body. As a result, infections may spread."

-->

"To help prevent infections, people who wear a prosthesis should wash the stump with antibacterial soap at least once a day. The soap should be unscented and uncolored. People who sweat a lot or who are prone to rashes or infections should wash more frequently. An antiperspirant spray can be used, but it should have no scent or other additives. Sprays with less than 15% aluminum chloride can be obtained over the counter. Stronger antiperspirant sprays can be obtained with a prescription. Alcohol-based lotions should not be used because they dry the skin, increasing the risk of skin breakdown. Baby oil is best for maintaining lubricated, soft skin."

and so on. basically, your friend is probably not taking care of it like she should be or not as much as she should if she is constantly having infections (I doubt you are near her 24/7 and know exactly everything she does). Also, you only mention the infections that all of them can get. you made no mention of pain. Again, you cannot compare me to an amputee. That was the point of my reply. My physical conditions are, for a lack of better phrasing, worse than if I just had a limb lost in terms of pain. Pain can be a motivator or it can be a hindrance. In my case its a hindrance to effective exercising. For years, I couldn't even walk more than 50 feet but go right ahead and continue to say *kitten* about me. I didn't overeat (i dont smoke, I dont do drugs, and I dont drink alcohol...ever, never in my life of 33 years), I wasn't lazy because I chose to be, I was forced to be that way by military injuries, hence, not entirely my fault. Its only recent (last year), that I've been able to make headway in my weight management and achieve the physical goals I mentioned in my first post because of improved physical therapy.

Some perspective. In the military, I weighed 190lbs (had some nice abs showing) and I weigh 220-232lbs now (varies on time of day and what I ate/drank). 28% of that is body fat according to the dexa scan the hospital had me do. That 28%, its mostly located on my front. As I indicated the pictures are deceiving (e.g. both my legs and arms have veins that are visible but you cannot see that in those photos).

btw, I refuse to take pain medication (mostly because of side effects). I deal with it every day. You tend to have a unique perspective when life constantly f*cks you over.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    I mean.. not to be rude, but you certainly dont LOOK healthy, even if you might be... so I can see why your doctor is concerned

looks can be deceiving. other than being fat, I have no medical issues (blood pressure, disease, etc) other than the physical ones I sustained in the military, which are the main cause for me even becoming fat (hard to exercise when in pain and those things I do at the bottom are only recent...it took years to be able to achieve those (quite happy about it)).
    Im 35.3 BMI. I think I look more like between over weight and class I. Hell, from the front you can even see where my abs are/would be.

I can do 100 situps in two minutes, easily do 20 pullups, bench 200lbs, squat 200lbs, and bicycle (bad knees, cant run) 6 miles in 30 minutes all while looking like a fat slob. yet, that 35 makes my doctor say im unhealthy.

I think you're looking a things a little bit more positive than they actually are. You may have a reasonable condition, your strength is average for someone that works out. But you cannot deny that you're pretty overweight. (you are trying to lose 38 pounds, so i'm pretty sure you are aware of that)

When i was your posture* i figured i had enough of this crap and wanted to lose all of it, for my mobility, agility, self-respect and basically for my future.

Anyway, i wish you good luck in your journey, i hope you will shed that weight and feel even fitter!

*here's my 100 days post with pictures where i started at 34.1 bmi, http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176614/100-days-of-mfp#latest

see above response. I agree that im fat but i'm not entirely at fault for it (one of the few who can legit say that).

Of course it's not your fault... http://themighty.com/2015/07/2photographer-captures-confidence-of-wounded-veterans-in-new-book/

i cant tell if youre trolling or being serious. not all amputees are 8% body fat and on the fat topic not all military are less than 10% body fat. Hell, the usa military dont even consider males with 25% body fat (female 31%) to be fat. If you can meet all the physical requirements at 25% body fat then the military doesnt care that youre 25%. however, if youre 27%, they will put you in additional training to lower the body fat (just more exercising...they dont control your food intake because it doesnt matter what you eat to them only what you burn). typically, soldiers who are 27% or higher have just been eating too much fast food and cutting it out for a few months will make them drop in weight and be removed from the additional training.

on a side note, I am only 28% body fat. again, another example of images being deceiving.

I'm referring to you saying you being overweight isn't entirely your fault because injuries/pain. There are people with big injuries that make it a priority. Ultimately it's a priority and a choice for the vast vast majority of people.

Where on earth did you get that I thought all military members are 8% body fat? And are you trolling?! 28% body fat what method got that result?

All those people in those photos are 8/10% body fat. The va hospital checked my body fat last month.

Its a bit insulting what you're saying. You've obviously never been seriously injured to the point that simply standing up causes you pain for a decade. Amputees lose the limb, it hurts, and then it hurts while the end heals then it stops. some of them get phantom pain but its occasional, not constant like mine.

know what, not even going to bother with you other than posting what I have.

You clearly don't know much about amputees. My friend is a bilateral amputee and had both of her legs removed below the knee about 12 years ago. She has been in and out of the hospital since with infections, plus her legs rub and tear hee skin which is very thin. She works very hard in the gym when she can, but it's definitely not easy for her.

"There are two types of pain: acute and persistent. Acute pain tends to be severe and lasts a short time. Persistent pain can last for long periods of time, even years. It can range from mild to severe."

As for your friend. She needs to take better care of herself if she is constantly having infections. -->

"The socket of the prosthesis creates an airtight, warm, damp, contained space where the person’s natural body oils and sweat collect—an environment that encourages the growth of bacteria and development of infection. Damp skin tends to break down, giving bacteria easy entry into the body. As a result, infections may spread."

-->

"To help prevent infections, people who wear a prosthesis should wash the stump with antibacterial soap at least once a day. The soap should be unscented and uncolored. People who sweat a lot or who are prone to rashes or infections should wash more frequently. An antiperspirant spray can be used, but it should have no scent or other additives. Sprays with less than 15% aluminum chloride can be obtained over the counter. Stronger antiperspirant sprays can be obtained with a prescription. Alcohol-based lotions should not be used because they dry the skin, increasing the risk of skin breakdown. Baby oil is best for maintaining lubricated, soft skin."

and so on. basically, your friend is probably not taking care of it like she should be or not as much as she should if she is constantly having infections (I doubt you are near her 24/7 and know exactly everything she does). Also, you only mention the infections that all of them can get. you made no mention of pain. Again, you cannot compare me to an amputee. That was the point of my reply. My physical conditions are, for a lack of better phrasing, worse than if I just had a limb lost in terms of pain. Pain can be a motivator or it can be a hindrance. In my case its a hindrance to effective exercising. For years, I couldn't even walk more than 50 feet but go right ahead and continue to say *kitten* about me. I didn't overeat (i dont smoke, I dont do drugs, and I dont drink alcohol...ever, never in my life of 33 years), I wasn't lazy because I chose to be, I was forced to be that way by military injuries, hence, not entirely my fault. Its only recent (last year), that I've been able to make headway in my weight management and achieve the physical goals I mentioned in my first post because of improved physical therapy.

Some perspective. In the military, I weighed 190lbs (had some nice abs showing) and I weigh 220-232lbs now (varies on time of day and what I ate/drank). 28% of that is body fat according to the dexa scan the hospital had me do. That 28%, its mostly located on my front. As I indicated the pictures are deceiving (e.g. both my legs and arms have veins that are visible but you cannot see that in those photos).

btw, I refuse to take pain medication (mostly because of side effects). I deal with it every day. You tend to have a unique perspective when life constantly f*cks you over.

I never said anything about you nor compared you to amputees. I'm not saying that you aren't justified in your gain or that your pain doesn't prevent you in many activities.

But claiming that my friend doesn't take care of herself is pretty low. If you've ever had a MRSA infection, you know that they are persistent and recurring, and there's not a whole lot you can do to prevent them or to get rid of them.

I just think you were being too dismissive of other's health problems.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Whats the point of this thread? I dont get it
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited July 2015

63bbc3293a24f56bcc1525ded2b65e892ef5.jpg
    63bbf763d0287594ec7d24fd5755682862cc.jpg
    0f6c02f94b94d5a1a35d59e3a2e70c54.jpg

Sorry I just can't see you doing 20 good pullups in a set. 20 pullups gets max points in the Marines physical fitness test, unless you had some sort of injury.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/blfitmale.htm

Especially when you say your max bench and squat is 200 pounds. Strength coaches generally look for your strength ratio of pull-ups to bench press should be at least 1:1 (I'm assuming you're over 200 lbs).

https://www.t-nation.com/training/take-your-pull-ups-to-the-next-level
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    I know the drawbacks of the BMI but I don't care about them. It's a big deal for me. I love crossing each major line.

Will I still be too fat when I cross the line to Healthy BMI? Yup! I won't stop losing.

But that line means a lot for me because I've worked and waited for it. I will cross it with glee and joy.
  • Dawn410
    Dawn410 Posts: 120 Member

How old are you? I only ask because while it may NOT be causing you problems yet, obesity will catch up with you. Diabetes, heart problems, blood clots, breathing trouble, pancreatitis, knee problems, eventually you will have health problems from obesity.
    Good for you for working on it and losing the weight now, before permanent trouble sets in.

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Sheesh don't know nothing about BMI, and am very glad I don't if it stirs up this much controversy. My legs below my thighs and my arms below my upper arms are very thin. Most of my fat is concentrated in the middle of my body. Which is why I have to wear such a large size despite my weight of 144. Before I quit smoking and gained weight, I was in a size 4-6. And I will get back there! Good luck to the rest of you.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Sheesh don't know nothing about BMI, and am very glad I don't if it stirs up this much controversy. My legs below my thighs and my arms below my upper arms are very thin. Most of my fat is concentrated in the middle of my body. Which is why I have to wear such a large size despite my weight of 144. Before I quit smoking and gained weight, I was in a size 4-6. And I will get back there! Good luck to the rest of you.

It's just a number that is assigned to you based on your height and weight. There are lines separating obese, overweight and normal. I was at the top end of Class II Obese, crossed into Obese and Overweight and am less than 2 stupid, stubborn little pounds from Normal.

Since it's just height and weight, not everyone fits properly in the mix. Pregnant women, old people, etc. The very muscular will sometimes show up as obese, so many of them dump on the BMI. It's not a bad gauge for most of us, though.

Mfp has it in APPS and any search engine will take you to a place to calculate it, if you're ever interested. :)
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    The thing about BMI is that it is just a tool. But, people use that one number to make an assumption about the health of a person without taking into consideration anything else. It's become so ingrained that other factors are ignored. Sure BMI is a risk factor for other issues but it's not the defining thing, just the one that's the "easiest" to control.

• zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Great, but what do all those things have to do with BMI?

Thats pretty simple, said poster inclined that he didn't understand why his doctor called him unhealthy. The BMI is just a number yes, but it's clearly visible that the number is not just a random figure.

Why is it important?

Saying something isn't random certainly isn't a compelling argument for elevating it to being important in the process.

Why not simply use waist circumference? That isn't random either, right?

Waist circumference isn't random. It's correlated with the storage of visceral fat.

Correct, that was in fact my point.

It is much better correlated with visceral fat than a simple heigh/weight metric, so why are we pretending like BMI is more meaningful than any one of a number of other things?
  • mokaiba
    edited July 2015
    Dawn410 wrote: »

How old are you? I only ask because while it may NOT be causing you problems yet, obesity will catch up with you. Diabetes, heart problems, blood clots, breathing trouble, pancreatitis, knee problems, eventually you will have health problems from obesity.
    Good for you for working on it and losing the weight now, before permanent trouble sets in.

Ive said how old I was...im 33. I am aware of what being overweight will do over time. however, being fat does not correlate to medical conditions. It has been shown many times in medical studies that blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes, etc have nothing to do with being fat. its a common misconception. people see a fat person and in their subconscious automatically assume they are unhealthy or that its not possible for them to lift themselves 20 times (packerjohn, eg).

@Packerjohn for the person who doubts I can do 20 pullups. ill make a video of it if you really want me too but I dont think i should have to prove it. by saying what you said you are judging me by how I look and being really bias. btw, my weight set (see other post with the photos) is limited to 200lbs. I am only at 200lbs because I dont have the weights to do more. You shouldn't doubt someone who owns their own gym equipment and you can tell from the photos that none of it is dusty...also, did it ever occur to you that I may have some strong traps, lats, and rhoms?

@auddi sorry, I thought you were that other person that was replying to me that had ticked me off earlier. if I came across as rude, I apologize.

@atypicalsmith its like that for me too. all that fat is in the middle. not being able to do any exercise for decade lead up to its build up. Now that im able to do moderate exercise 3x a week with cardio 5x (30 minutes on bicycle) a week its only a matter of time for the visceral fat to go away (I have always eaten right, never an issue).
  • Packerjohn
    edited July 2015

@Packerjohn for the person who doubts I can do 20 pullups. ill make a video of it if you really want me too but I dont think i should have to prove it. by saying what you said you are judging me by how I look and being really bias. btw, my weight set (see other post with the photos) is limited to 200lbs. I am only at 200lbs because I dont have the weights to do more. You shouldn't doubt someone who owns their own gym equipment and you can tell from the photos that none of it is dusty...also, did it ever occur to you that I may have some strong traps, lats, and rhoms?

All I'm saying is if you ask any strength coach you will find it very rare for someone over 200 pounds to do 20 good pull-ups and bench 200 pounds one time. To be honest it would be more realistic if you were doing 20 pull-ups and 20 reps bench at 200 pounds.
  • timtakel
    timtakel Posts: 50 Member
    edited July 2015
    BMI is wrong, but not in the way people think it is. 97% of people who are overweight following the BMI guidelines, are in fact just that, overweight. The 3% who aren't will know, because you don't get a lot of muscle by chance. On the other hand a lot of muscle wont help, if your body fat is high, then you are still just overweight, with all the health risks.
    The bigger problem is, that a lot of people with a higher normal BMI, are practically overweight, because they have a high body fat percentage. These people are what is called skinny fat, they have all the health risks of being overweight.

That means there are only 3% false positives, but a lot false negatives. If you BMI is high and you don't build muscle, you are just overweight. If in doubt, get your body fat tested.
  • mokaiba
    edited July 2015
    Packerjohn wrote: »

All I'm saying is if you ask any strength coach you will find it very rare for someone over 200 pounds to do 20 good pull-ups and bench 200 pounds one time. To be honest it would be more realistic if you were doing 20 pull-ups and 20 reps bench at 200 pounds.

1 name.

Hafthór Björnsson

He thinned out for Game of Thrones. He had a slight belly before it. He weighs nearly 400lbs and can do pull ups. His bmi is 42.5.

I agree that I have a belly that needs to go, but to stay on topic for this thread, a bmi is a worthless number.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    You are not Hafthor. Not even close.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    What were your other % on the DEXA scan?
  • Packerjohn
    edited July 2015

1 name.

Hafthór Björnsson

He thinned out for Game of Thrones. He had a slight belly before it. He weighs nearly 400lbs and can do pull ups. His bmi is 42.5.

I agree that I have a belly that needs to go, but to stay on topic for this thread, a bmi is a worthless number.

I never said someone heavy could not do pull-ups. I said the typical ratio strength coaches want trainees to go for is 1 pull-up per one rep bench press of their bodyweight. Normally people will be stronger on the bench part of this equation vs the pull up. In your case where you do 20 good pull ups and one rep bench press of less than your bodyweight is basically unheard of.

Also Bjornsson is a world class athlete, no offense, but I doubt if you are.

BMI is a very reasonable indicator of weight issues. Any medical professional that is any good can look at someone with a high BMI and tell if it is due to muscle or fat.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Unless someone is at or very near a healthy weight, I don't see that it matters that BMI isn't perfect. It doesn't matter that there are a few people who are healthy at a BMI as high as 25.5 when your own BMI is above that. Once you get down close to a normal BMI, then you can throw BMI out the window and start looking at the finer details of your ideal weight.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Unless someone is at or very near a healthy weight, I don't see that it matters that BMI isn't perfect. It doesn't matter that there are a few people who are healthy at a BMI as high as 25.5 when your own BMI is above that. Once you get down close to a normal BMI, then you can throw BMI out the window and start looking at the finer details of your ideal weight.
    The BMI calculations are goals for me. I don't have any reason to believe that I will qualify as special. I never have been nor plan to be athletic, just healthy.
    1. No longer morbidly obese. CHECK
    4. No longer obese
    6. No longer overweight
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member

I am aware of what being overweight will do over time. however, being fat does not correlate to medical conditions. It has been shown many times in medical studies that blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes, etc have nothing to do with being fat.

...What? Actually, yes, being overweight (by body fat percentage as well as BMI, not just BMI) DOES correlate to those medical conditions. Indeed, genetics play a part, but weight is just as important in reducing your risk of those things. Yes, there are overweight people who don't have those problems. I was obese without those problems... I was also only 18. I have absolutely no doubt that if I had continued at a BMI of 33, I would have gotten health problems. I have a family history of diabetes and heart problems. I am now a normal BMI and BF%, and am unlikely to get those problems. Weight is often like the trigger on the gun.
  • TheEats
    TheEats Posts: 49 Member

This. I have a BMI just classifying me as "Obese Class 2" and honestly - there is no doubt I am too fat. I can stretch and see my own ribs, but I am too fat. I can flex and see muscles, but I am too fat. I can fit into a smaller size than many others of my weight and height, but I am too fat. When I am anywhere near NOT being too fat, I will go by my own eyes and measurements and health. Until then, BMI is a great indicator.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015

Ive said how old I was...im 33. I am aware of what being overweight will do over time. however, being fat does not correlate to medical conditions. It has been shown many times in medical studies that blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes, etc have nothing to do with being fat. its a common misconception.

Ok I'm sorry but this is delusional.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member

1 name.

Hafthór Björnsson

The numbers in not only the BMI chart but also BMR, NEAT, TDEE...etc...etc are just statistical numbers.

They are not useless...they are used to create ranges and give us an average. Where the problem lies is when we try to use them on an individual basis. We can fall in the high or the low part of that AVERAGE. It is up to the individual along with their health care providers to determine where you might fall in these charts.

IMO...People need to got over saying that these statistical numbers are worthless...simply because they don't feel that those numbers apply to them. They are AVERAGES taken from samplings of people. Sure...there will always be someone that doesn't fall in to AVERAGE.