WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2015

Options

Replies

• crazyDogLady61
    crazyDogLady61 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've been AWOL for a while due to the chaos at work, but I wanted to pop in and thank the group for helping reach and then stick to my goals! I went from a size 16 to a 4 and am doing a damn good job holding there. I went from not able to run a mile to cracking out 6 miles three days a week. I love yoga! Anyway, this is a thanks and you can do it too message. I've been overweight since kindergarten, not any more!nc1hwyj51oh4.jpg
    wrpltuwdo6ri.jpg
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,578 Member
    Options
    I've been AWOL for a while due to the chaos at work, but I wanted to pop in and thank the group for helping reach and then stick to my goals! I went from a size 16 to a 4 and am doing a damn good job holding there. I went from not able to run a mile to cracking out 6 miles three days a week. I love yoga! Anyway, this is a thanks and you can do it too message. I've been overweight since kindergarten, not any more!nc1hwyj51oh4.jpg
    wrpltuwdo6ri.jpg

you've done good, now keep the focus and maintain!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,943 Member
    Options

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

smiley-happy026.gifLillian, step away from each and every birthday cake and just say no

smiley-happy026.gifTammy from Oregon, I first learned about early morning walks when I lived near Redding, California where the temps in the summer were like the ones you describe....it's not hot like that where I live now, but an early morning walk is quiet and I can walk my dogs without being concerned that they will bark at anyone....I made the change gradually and with practice learned to fall asleep while it's still very light outside.....my "once a year splurge" was lavender ice cream (actually three times this weekend)

smiley-happy026.gifMeg, congrats on the early wake-up and the bike ride

smiley-happy026.gifCarol in NC, taking a nap should be a daily thing for you until you are completely healed...right now everything is exhausting.

smiley-happy026.gifLori from WV, congrats on the weight loss....when you go out to dinner be careful of the dressing, cheese, and croutons on your salad....consider ordering something like a broiled chicken breast with no sauce and a side of steamed veggies and sliced tomatoes.

smiley-happy026.gifHeather, I am reading a series of light reading mysteries set in a cheese shop....you would love the descriptions of all the interesting cheeses.

smiley-happy026.gifPip, dogs in the kiddie pool on a hot day sounds like so much fun.

smiley-happy026.gifTerri, Here is the link to Gretchen Rubin's podcasts.....they are great.
    http://happierwithgretchenrubin.slate.libsynpro.com/podcast

smiley-happy026.gifOne more day at the lavender festival---this time with friends--visited some farms, ate lunch, ate ice cream, and watched the Olympic Mountain Cloggers dance at one of the farms..super hot and now we're glad to be back in our air conditioned house

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Sending love and healing wishes to Michelle & Vince and Joyce & Charlie, as well as others who need them. I echo Heather's sentiment about all of you. You are so very important to me. You keep me connected to my goals, provide friendship and good advice, and a community of spirit and purpose that I couldn't have imagined. :heart: :heart: :heart:

We saw DS, DDIL & DS's BFF (best friend forever) off for an ocean voyage up the Oregon and Washington coast aboard our sailboat. They left from Astoria this morning & we'll meet them day after tomorrow in Port Angeles. We plan to get to Port Angeles tomorrow and wait for their arrival. DS's best friend needs a ride back to PDX so he can be at work on schedule. We're also bringing them the inflatable dinghy so they can have a zip-around boat with them on their adventure. Sailboats are the best thing ever, but they are slower than many forms of transportation and ours certainly can't go into shallow water. :noway:

I'll be missing in action from the board again for a day or two, but I promise I will keep logging my food and exercise. :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    @exermom I tried to put this in a private message but it wouldn't let me copy and paste the pictures there. Perhaps another crocheter out there can benefit from our question or maybe assist!? Anyhow, I started the the c2c (corner-to-corner) crochet afghan the other day. What I am thinking is to continue adding rows until the afghan gets to the width I want (indicated by the red asterisk) and then figure out how to stop the width from growing and continue with the length. I think at that point is when the decrease stitching comes into play. This makes a wonderful square afghan but I'm sure we can figure out how to make it rectangular. I will keep you updated.
    I love this pattern. The texture created is so nice. It is and easy pattern to learn and quick to do.

Cheri (crocheting in hot, humid, wet NE Ohio)

zg9pmkzhbjy1.jpg
    bvehgxkqdpq0.jpg
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    NC Carol - if Andrew's in college he's old enough to be told why you can't feed him.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,358 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of the DVD Yoga for Belly Butt and Thighs. The plan for tomorrow is to do one segment of this DVD called Total Core, hold my plank, then take the extremepump class

JanetMMc - I make my muffins in the mini muffin tins, too. For the exact same reason that you stated, it's not as much. Actually, last night I actually looked at a chocolate (full sized) muffin and thought to myself "no, I don't want something that big"

Renny - Vince is home right now, but he will have to go for the EP study. We shall see what happens. My GUESS is that they're going to do a mini-ablation (I don't know what else to call it) at that time, but who am I?

barbie - have fun at the festival!

NCCarol - Vince just wasn't mentally prepared for the EP to be done early this week. At least if it isn't done until next week he'll have time to get in the right frame of mind. I'm so sad that you're stressed. How I wish there was something I could do but I don't know what! I can relate (not to your exact situation). Before we got married, money was VERY tight for me.

Carol/peach - I love my seafood, but you're right, it's not very good here. They have to truck it in so much. That's one of the reasons I love when we go to FL, fish is so abundant. When I get crab legs, I usually get them at Sam's. Mainly because they are pretty big there. I also like to get my shrimp there if I can since the shrimp, too, is on the large side. Well, everything there is on the large side.

Lillian - that's why I went with the upright freezer, to be able to see everything. As I recall, the chest freezers are supposed to be more energy efficient, but food gets pushed to the bottom of the freezer and stays there for years. So it may save you money in energy, but you have to throw food away (money lost)

gawworth... - It took the docs that long to figure out what was wrong? Glad to hear that you're on your way to getting back to the way you were before the accident

DJ - well, I guess I could be addicted to something worse, at least it's an addiction to exercise. Vince didn't get up this a.m. until 10. He said that he slept REAL well. No one poking you for blood at 2a.m.

Jess is coming this weekend so I made some pineapple zucchini muffins for Colby mainly because I had some pineapple that I wanted to use up. Vince and I can't eat all the cantaloupe and strawberries in addition to the pineapple. Now we won't have to eat the pineapple. Sure wish he'd hurry up and eat those strawberries, I bought them for him and even bought some whipped topping for him (I don't really care for whipped topping). Jess won't eat them so I have to come up with something that she'll eat. I do have some cherries that I'll give them, I don't know if Jess will eat the cherries.

Sylvia - I can handle heat. It was 102 one day when we were moving things into storage and that didn't bother me. But it's the humidity, now THAT gets to me. You poor dear. That is something about that building that collapsed.

Tammy - a peanut butter pickle burger????? Well, I probably wouldn't care for it since I don't like peanut butter. It's weird, I love nuts, but not peanut butter. I think it's a consistency thing. I don't like nuts in cakes or cookies or brownies. Gives me a good reason to stay away from that stuff.

Just cleaned out the refrigerator. Some of the strawberries I'd bought for Vince went bad so I threw them out. Some of the corn went bad so that went in the garbage (boo, and that's the corn I love too). Things that I'd taken out to defrost to have while Vince was in the hosp went back in the freezer for me to take out another time.

pip - PLEASE take care of yourself. I know how much it's killing you not to be able to do all the things you want to, but you have me worried (and I'm sure a lot of others are worried, too). I think you made a wise decision not to go to the gym.

Heather - that spinach feta pie looks so yumy. Too bad I'd be the only one eating it. Hey, why not come over here and we can share it? Sounds like a perfectly good reason to me for you to come over here.

Lenora - I'd never heard of pimento cheese until I moved down here. And was I shocked to get slaw ON a hamburger. Now I'm getting used to it, or rather not wanting it at all

Meg - thanks for telling me that the amiodarone might turn Vince's skin blue. That was never mentioned. The doc did say that this was one of the first anti-arrthmitic drugs but it does have some nasty side effects so you can't take it from extended periods of time, maybe for a month or two. They really haven't talked about an ICD. They want to do the EP study and I'm guessing that they'll do a mini-ablation if they can. Last time he went for an ablation, his heart kept going into afib and the MD finally called it. Should his skin turn blue, after he goes off the med, will it stay blue or will it go back to normal color?

terri - oh, I got three bags of the cherries:) That's one of the reasons Jess is going to get a bag to take back with her this weekend....lol They are so big and juicy!

Cheri - what wonderful charts you make! I seem to recall a video by Red Heart showing how to make a recangle. Thanks for the c2c info. I need to check out that video again

crazyDog - wow! Going from a 16 to a 4. How long did that take you? I'm super impressed. Is that your daughter and you? You look so wonderful!

Michele in NC
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Sunday and the green pineapple smoothie was disgusting, will double the pineapple and cut out greens and makeit a juice
    Drove along the coast to Latrobe with Stan and Blaize and walked round Pig Island. Threw up during dinner. Shaky and went to bed early.
    Back on Ventolin and slept well
    Monday and NO smoothies today just walk Blaize
    I know Karen will inspire her boxers to do well
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,943 Member
    Options
    :) Katla, you won't be far from me when you go to Port Angeles. It's warm and beautiful up here right now. Enjoy your trip.

<3 Barbie
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Rain drops keep falling on my head :smiley:

Rosie
  • lozinit
    lozinit Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    By the looks of things, you ladies have all been together for quite some time. Is there any room for one more who will be 50 in November? This looks like a fun, easy, amicable group of friends!!
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Home on the range. Ok, the ranch.

Happy.
  • crazyDogLady61
    crazyDogLady61 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I forgot to caption the photos. The first is my daughter (my oldest). The second is my granddaughter (my daughter's girl). She was the flower girl for the wedding.

Someone asked how long.... Three years in total. Started in January of 12. First 50 came off easy, but then I gained 15 pounds back the next year. I found MFP about a year ago and the support and great ideas made it fairly easy the get 35 pounds off by January of this year. I'm about 5'5" and my base weight is about 115. I remember fighting to get to 125 in middle school so I haven't weighted this little since grade school. Since I started running I've dropped 20 points off both the top and bottom numbers of my blood pressure.

Not making this a diet and just a lifestyle change is really the key the winning this battle.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Home on the range. Ok, the ranch.

Happy.

:) Good!!
  • tuliplor
    tuliplor Posts: 51 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Had another good day today!! I've been reading all your posts. I'm so lucky that I found this blog!! You all are the best!! Good advice about the salad Barbiecat!!!

Lori
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Michele, so glad you and Vince are home from the hospital. Hope this medicine works and if he does have an EP study, it can tell them what is going on and it can be easily fixed. You talk about when the right time to talk to your daughter, how about your son?

Carol, pray, pray, pray. Have you asked your son if he realizes the different person he is in church vs home?

Heather, what a big grin. You could hide the Grand Canyon in there!!! So cute. Your spinach thing you made looks good but I don't like cheese that much. Ouch......I felt that book you threw at the computer! I like American cheese on a grilled cheese.

gawworthing, Yes, you CAN do it!

DJ, come on admit it, you really do love giving us all swift kicks in the butt.

Sylvia, Are you talking to yourself again???? All those posts that I think you are jsut thinking out loud. You be careful in this heat. I try to put all the headphone cord down my back and it doesn't interfere with my legs or arms. Plus it doesn't affect the sound since mine are HD.

Tammy, just looked at what that burger is, wow, that is loaded. Well all their burgers are loaded. I'm not sure about that peanut butter sauce though. Do you carry Tums with you :p

Pip, now you are really getting all of us Moms worried. Can you legally drive after a concussion? Have you asked?
    update, glad you listened to your body. For you to have to curtail your activity is really quite a concession for you so I know you must be feeling bad. Maybe a call into the doctor's office tomorrow is warranted??? Just to make us feel better. You can tell them that we want you to.

lambocj, welcome. It is so much fun when a grand daughter wants to do a challenge with you! I was looking at your profile and we have several ladies who have had one form or another of the different bariatric surgeries. I am a fellow Hoosier.

CrazyDogLady, what gorgeous pictures of you, your daughter and grand daughter. I even noticed that with that beautiful dress on, you still have your activity tracker on. Good for you!!!

Cheri, I just did a quick glance at your picture and thought the red lines were strings and you were crocheting a string bikini!

Lozinet, welcome. There is always room for one more. Are those jeans that you used to wear??? Wow! If so you have done a fabulous job so far.

Good day today at church and after. had my alarm set so I could get up, shower, dress my face up, fix my hair and study my lesson. So this morning I heard the cat meowing and I just ignored it. Well later when she was meowing again, I also noticed that the alarm was ringing. It had been ringing for 16 minutes! No time to fix my face up after shower and hair done. I am glad that I always pick my entire outfit from shoes to jewelry the night before. The song did fine with several people out. But one of the tenors that was supposed to be there was sick so she asked the low altos to sing tenor. This was on a song that we hadn't practiced tenor. But it was a simple well known song and we did OK. This afternoon husband suggested we go to Ci Ci's pizza. I can resist Dairy Queen and other places but I can't resist Ci Ci's pizza. I am still feeling the garlic breadsticks. And you know how they get that garlic on those cheese sticks, with butter. And we say right next to the buffet line. I did get just 2 pieces of pizza though. I don't go there for the pizza, unfortunately I go for the goodies. I always start out with a nice big salad though. The tomatoes our friends gave us are so nice and red now. One whole tomato will taste good with tomorrow's lunch.

OK, question for all you ladies here. What is the method that you deal with all the hair under your chin and on your neck???? They drive me crazy.

So proud of how my favorite golfer is doing in The British Open, hope he wins it tomorrow although I am proud of the young guy from Ireland. He is an amateur and will get nothing out of it except the glory of winning a major in golf as an amateur. i really like these young guys coming up in the gold world. Hope the weather holds out.

Joyce, Indiana
  • KateKyi
    KateKyi Posts: 106 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @csofled Beautiful crochet. When you reach the desired width all you do is keep the length going but stop the width at the same number. You will need to do the "straight" edge like the one on the bottom/side of your pattern.
    @Heather giggles pond scum pie. Looks delicious.
    @jmkmomm I can understand you not liking cheese after tasting cheese in the US its nothing like the cheese we get in the UK. Pre-processed cheeses are oily to me, were as fresh cheese like we get in the UK are dry not oily. The variety of flavours in the UK is incredible compared to the US. Some are sharp tangy white crumbly cheese like Cheshire and Lancashire, cheddar comes mild, sharp, aged(mature), Double Gloucester, blue cheeses, brie type cheese. Somerset Brie is winning awards in France! Home of the Brie but Somerset brie is English. It seems every county in Britain makes a variety of cheeses. We are really spoilt in the UK for the different types.(county is an area of Britain, bit like a state or province but a whole lot smaller)
    Kate
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,729 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    Michelle glad you and Vince are home and will be praying for a safe procedure for Vince..
    Barbie~ so glad you are enjoying the festival
    working 10:30-5 today and we shall see what happens this week..
    forgot to tell you my boss and his wife had his first baby.. a little girl 6lb 8 oz and her name is Stella.. can't wait to see pictures of her. I told him last week his life will never be the same.....
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies,

Friday, July 17 was our 11 year anniversary. We tried to think of someplace to go for the weekend but nothing appealed to us as much as staying home and relaxing. How old does that sound?? :smile: Friday's weather was nice so we planned a nice morning on a lake kayaking. It's the first time this year we've been able to take them out so it was a treat. We had thought about going to a baseball game that evening but the humidity had started to build so it was a nice dinner at home in the a/c. This weekend weather has been so miserable with the heat and humidity. Under a heat advisory and air quality alert. :sweat_smile:

Oh, on Friday, I was officially down 10 pounds from June 3rd, my retirement date! I knew work wasn't good for my health. :wink:

CrazyDogLady - You look beautiful! As does your daughter and granddaughter. Three lovely ladies.

Lori - You're doing so well. This journey is just doing one good day after another. Thinking ahead to what to eat when you go out is a big step in the right direction. I find the hardest time to make a good choice is when I haven't thought of it before and get caught up in all the menu has to offer.

Cheri - Beautiful job on the crocheting. Love the colors.

Michele - Prayers for Vince. So glad he was able to come home and get some rest.

Leslie - Hope you're feeling better today.

Sylvia - Sorry to see you fell. Hope you're doing better. Love that you found a NSV in the mist of it.

17761776 and lozinit - Welcome!! How are things going for you today?

Lisa - Wow, you've got a full plate. Enjoy your time home on the ranch.

Pip - Sorry you're not feeling better. Not sure how long the effects of a concussion last.

Tammy - Hope you enjoyed your burger. Sounds like something my DH would love. Now, it's Monday so get right back to the low carb eating!

Well, time to get moving. Later this afternoon I will be getting two additional dogs to spend the night. They were adopted this past week and are scheduled to be neutered and spayed tomorrow before heading to their new homes next weekend! One is a Pomeranian and the other is a Cocker Spaniel mix.

Tina in MD

2em7phnxnrd8.jpg

xb3nzozegfqe.jpg

• peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Crazydoglady ~ You and your daughter are gorgeous.

Tina ~ Very cute pups.