WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2015

Options

Replies

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    marking my spot..... going outside before it gets too hot!! Supposed to be thunderstorms today ...but they have been forecasting that for days!!!

Still in the smoke and the heat

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    morning my friends~
    got up late for us which was 6 am, didnt go to sleep until 10.
    had a lovely evening with friends..
    went to see my DFIL this morning and he had me laughing so hard ....
    he said dont tell my wife im here she will s--t a brick ... oh my i was in tears.. he has been saying some inappropriate stuff, so his word for the day was appropriate, and what he was saying was appropriate... Tom and I went down there... and it was nice we were chatting with all the residents...
    today Steve will finish the floor, I am baking cookies as we speak and have a load of laundry in the wash and the dryer.. making a pork loin this afternoon... and back to work in the morning
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    My daughter is the president of the club and I am vice president. We are getting ready for our local "days" next weekend, today. We have to set up the building for our 100 year anniversary celebration. I think only 3 of us can come from the group.
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Last nights supper I felt pleased that chick fil a had a grilled chicken salad with low fat dressing on the side. I asked the girl what is on it. Her response: " vegetables like blueberries strawberries and apples ". We held our laughs until sitting at the table. DH doesn't like what he sees in all the hotel room mirrors so he asked if I would show him how to use the equipment in the hotel fitness center. 1 step closer. Yay! DS did well at practice yesterday. Today We go to 2 other bowling alleys for more practice.

Hugs ! Terri
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Joyce, I find any and all food very expensive these days. But yes, the drinks in a restaurant are outrageous. I love iced tea with a meal but order water because I don’t think it’s worth over $2. Glad DH seems to be getting better.

Lesley, what exactly is this smoothie diet for? Are you still working on body fat or trying to lose weight or what? I know you are working with people that are guiding you and curious. I sure admire your dedication.

Heather, glad you got rain, too. It’s amazing how everything perks up with rain water!! Glad you are still enjoying the visit you had yesterday. Also glad that you heard from your friend. I hope she makes the visit.

Tina, it sounds like perfect bike riding weather. Take advantage before it gets hot.

Carol NC, so sorry about your pain yesterday. I hope it’s better today but might help if you don’t overdo?? Good for you on getting some new tops. I can’t even imagine putting on clothes with that shoulder. Keep on with the healing.

Lillian, please be careful outside in that smoke. I worry about you breathing that in.

Allison, when DFIL was being so funny, was he laughing? I just wonder if he knew what he was saying was funny?

Terri, it sounds like you are getting much closer with DH being ready for a change. Good luck!!

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

DH is up today and feeling better. All that's left is a really bad low back pain. He had the strangest symptoms that I can't imagine what it was. He ached all over but had one run to the bathroom that had him thinking it was food poisoning. He slept most of yesterday except for about 3 hours. I was afraid he wouldn't be able to sleep last night but he did.

I hope each of you has a wonderful day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    DeeDee: Glad you like the quotes. :smile:

Kim: "it better be healthy and filling or booze!" Love this...it's going on my fridge!

Becca: Like the fog outfit..suits him!

Michele: Could you just use styrofoam in a U shape with the front only 1/2 as high as the back hot glued together to work as a Rummikub stand? What an awesome idea to play in the pool!

Sylvia: I absolutely hate the fact that people can ruin others reputations, livelihoods and self-esteem with the untruths, partial truths and down right vindictive statements they post on social media sites. I can only hope that one day that there will be legistlation that will allow the victim of such viciousness recourse.

Janet in NO:Congrats on the size 14's!

For all of you being hounded by telemarketers, I wanted to share my mom's method of dealing with them. She'll pick up the phone and say hello, as soon as they start their spiel she'll hold down the # button on the phone and take it away from her ear. This produces a terrible squeal. She's been known to hold this for a long time in excess of 15 minutes with the "Microsoft" people. She had one lady who hung up and called right back "saying don't you do that to me". Mom's response - hold down that # key! She never called back! :laugh: I don't know if it works with the automated calls or not but seems to work well with real people on the other end. Another thing I discovered was that for some calls (like Westjet, Air Canada etc) that have a computerized message, if you stay on the line and listen to the spiel at the end there will be a choice such as press 2 to removed from the calling list. Well I really need to get off my butt and get some house work done today before it gets too hot to move. Our temps have been really high for us and still no sign of rain even though it's been forecasted.

Thought for the day: "The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." - Amelia Earhart

Carey-Edmonton

July Goals:

1. Do menu planning for July - Increasing protein to 130g per day. Do one week at a time so that can adjust as I go.

2. Log all meals - try to pre-log to get a better handle on calories for the day

3.Plan and Do - 2 fun things every week
    • W1: Family reunion - 3 days of fun and hard work
    • W2: Tai Chi with friend who will start beginners and needs some company. Hot Stone Massage
    • W3: Lunch with cousins, surprise Dad for his birthday
    4. Ride stationary bike 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes.
  • Sweetgirl10
    Sweetgirl10 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm Dee & new to Mfp but not to the weight struggle! I'm 53 yrs old, an older mom to 2 kiddos, have a good 35-40 lbz to lose from what is @ this moment my all time non pregnant high weight. Ugh!

I'm on the East Coast, work F/t in my own business, & just coming out of the 'dog fog' with a new puppy. Like to exercise but love food too much!

I've struggled through some injuries & a serious illness w one of my kids (doing better), so past 3-4 yrs been rough.

My simple challenges to myself remainder of July:
    Log every day
    Drink more water
    Connect w some people on mfp
    Ressucitate my fitbit & move more/more deliberately
    Get some awareness/ control around the mindless eating ice fallen back into.

My longer term challenges tend to be around not quitting/getting discouraged by slooow results, avoiding injuries, alcohol (esp in summer), & being honest w & accountable to myself, keeping portion sizes down. Oh and cheese! Cheese has my number!

Love this thread but would also love an accountability buddy. Friend me if interested...

Raising my water bottle...cheers!...now off for a swim.

Dee

• RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hello!

I'm Dee & new to Mfp but not to the weight struggle! I'm 53 yrs old, an older mom to 2 kiddos, have a good 35-40 lbz to lose from what is @ this moment my all time non pregnant high weight.

Dee

Hi Dee...welcome.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Good morning! Last night we spotted a walking path next to a creek near our hotel, so this morning hubby suggested we go there. I was thrilled because I thought he would be in a big hurry to get on the road.

The path was just stunning, with a beautiful creek and lush native grasses. The place was a riot of birdsong! It led to a beautiful big park with a big pond in the middle and a family of swans on a little island. They also had paddle boats shaped like swans! I've never seen anything like it. And there was a seven story viewing tower where you could see for miles. So, we walked five miles and climbed seven stories even before breakfast. I'm pretty proud of making it up 7 stories and not even being out of breath. And I was walking so fast hubby couldn't keep up. Hee hee.

Now we are on the road again headed home. I hope you are all having a great day.

Sylvia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,295 Member
    Options
    Hi again!

DH watching the Wimbledon final, so I did my writing. I've nearly finished the first draft of my early memoire. It's just a pile of scribbled pencil on paper, but it's something to work with. Where I wanted to hurry on with a particular story I just left a note to myself like, "grandfather background", etc. so there's still a lot to do while I'm sorting it all out. Then to type it. Nicely.
    Then what to do with it?
    At least I now have a title. It was you, Katla, who gave me the idea when you echoed my thoughts about these "nice" monsters. It's now called, A VERY NICE MAN - memoire of an abused daughter.
    Thank you. :flowerforyou:

Then I amused myself by looking at villas in France with large pools online. Can't go next year as we are spending a fortune on the Arctic cruise, but maybe 2017. I found a couple near airports you can fly to from Southampton. That makes things sooooo much easier. One has a gorgeous heated pool, so it wouldn't matter that much about the weather. Anyway, it kept me amused for a bit! ! ! ! ! ! A girl can dream. :laugh:

The house smells of a mixture of curry and sweet peas. Two of my favourite things! :drinker:

Love from the dreamer Heather in drizzly Hampshire UK
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    Options
    Sylvia I think I wrote that post for myself. We are facing a situation (just got the news today) with our oldest son where tough love is called. I think that is why I picked the word strength as my word for 2015, I knew I was going to need it. Sounds like you have found a wonderful place to relax.

Heather love that image of sweet peas and curry.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • aletaforeman
    aletaforeman Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello All,
    Fell off the MFP wagon in June. Did not journal and haven't been back to the gym early morning before work - my bad. What I have noticed is that when I don't get that exercise in then I am soooo tired all the time. Feeling very blimp-like. Been very busy at work covering for people on vacation and so not feeling like doing much. It's very hot out these days but I am managing to get outside for yard work. Today, I made an effort to weigh portions and to journal. I'm going to a baseball game this afternoon (in the heat) but will eat before I go and will sneak my water in my bag to keep hydrated. Also one of my work friends has started using MFP and we will support each other, along with the wonderful support of this group. So my immediate goals will be:
    • Weigh portions
    • Drink lots of water
    • Exercise 2 days on, rest 1 day, 2 days on (alternate weight routine with cardio days)
    • journal, journal, journal......
    • log in and read this board, comment and support everyone here with their own struggles
    Success!

Aleta from Manitoba B)
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Sylvia I think I wrote that post for myself. We are facing a situation (just got the news today) with our oldest son where tough love is called. I think that is why I picked the word strength as my word for 2015, I knew I was going to need it. Sounds like you have found a wonderful place to relax.

Heather love that image of sweet peas and curry.

:heart: MNMargaret

Oh, Margaret,I'm am so sorry. I hate, hate, hate having to dole out tough love. My heart is breaking for you.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    Well, did my shopping last night, between 9-11pm so glad markets here are open late, it makes today a much more leisurely day hit 11000 steps by 11am today as Levi and I walked to the bank to deposit a check. Most of my exercise is walking – and I am best as a destination walker - I am doing a bit of floor exercise, a bit of a challenge with a dog, yesterday I was in my plank and Levi thought I looked like a chair and sat his butt on my back, didn’t hurt, but I am not strong enough to hold my plank with a 55lb dog sitting on me, I laughed at him so then he thought it was a game! Back to my point… the walking is good and really good for Levi, but it is a slow way to burn calories… I really need to find something quicker..and yet still free. I would love to swim, but the public pool is $5 a visit ($4.75 a visit if you buy 10 at once) and yoga at $20/hour is also out of my budget.. I did find a friend with an unused “thingy” that you can put your bike in to make it stationary, so I have to get new tires for my bike and try that. Time is in short supply!

Janet – I have done locks of love a few times, and it can be done with grey or colored hair and they just sell it to raise the funds to make the kids wigs… I am now in a shorter hair do and don’t plan on letting it grow out again… Where is the picture of your new do?

Heather – Great!!! I do hope she feel up to it, but at least it is a plan.

Carol – baby steps!!! But you are doing so so much better!

Carey - Love the idea of pressing the # sign, I have also just set the phone down (in a towel so we can’t hear each other) then go on about my life, most telemarketers can’t hang up on a client, and it runs up their phone bill…

However a warning about waiting and pressing the button to be taken off the list… they do take you off their list, but then they sell the list of “phone numbers that get answered” to as many other telemarketing companies who will buy the list.

The federal do not call list that janet mentioned is great, but your number drops off after 5 years (or so) so you do have to re-add it.

Dee – welcome!
    Aleta – welcome back, you are a success just by coming back… one hour at a time and a habit it becomes.

Sylvia – your DH has really turned a corner! What a great thing for him, for you and for you guys as a couple.

Margaret – tough love is tough, but the long run results are so much better.. stay strong, we are there supporting you.

July Goals:
    Walk everyday –try to hit 180 miles 7/11 - 57miles so far
    1 plank every day and log here – goal more then 19 - 7
    Log everyday –
    Eat mindfully-
    Weekly fun things –
    W1 – Mom is here for the 4th, and we are going out to dinner –her treat!
    W2 – a new smart phone, my business paid off, a visit from an out of state friend
    Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Lisa, what kind of ranch are you on that the owners fly all over Texas?

The DH and I live on the 21st largest privately owned piece of land in the United States, Longfellow Ranch, combined from a number of other ranches that N. Malone Mitchell III began acquiring in 1995. http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/slideshow/Top-25-landowners-in-America-95981/photo-6588766.php

Mr. Mitchell is still buying and selling land in the area to add to or take away from the approximately 384,000 acres that comprise the ranch now. He's been listed in the Forbes 400 in the past, but isn't at the moment. Probably because he refused to cooperate. He's not much on publicity, as near as we can tell--and just seems like a really nice guy. He usually only comes to the ranch twice a year or so, but he's been here three times already this year. We liked him and his wife a lot. Mostly, the son-in-law runs the place, and he's here every few weeks. So far, the DH loves working for him, and we both love the setting.

And, mostly just because we could, we went out on a picture safari again last night--the elk separate themselves, all the bulls go off into a bachelor herd and the does go off into their family groups at this time of year. Got some good pics of them and a few others... plus a few just of the scenery. No one can remember the ranch ever being so green--grazing lands are literally chest deep on the elk, and they are huge animals. It's incredibly beautiful right now. We are indeed very lucky--and my DH is really, really good at what he does, which helps!

Lisa from West Texas

4u29rymmuqt5.jpg
    Baby jackrabbit engrossed in something yummy at a cattleguard--we shooed him away before we went on.
    2cwbctasjgfa.jpg
    The bachelor herd of elk.
    kv4ajqw0icb9.jpg
    Bull elk that were so close to each other in looks, they may actually be brothers.
    7tl0l2ploi07.jpg
    A bullsnake who tried to hide from the truck, but stopped as soon as his head was under cover and left the rest of him out in the open. You can tell he's not a rattlesnake because there are no rattles at the end of the tail. It's the first thing we look for! Bull snakes aren't poisonous or agressive.
    thgsu791nv0i.jpg
    Sundogs, sort of - it was well past 90 degrees at 7 p.m. when we went out...
    q90hl2ucf01y.jpg
    A windmill not far from our house.
    y74wpu9yjwue.jpg
    The master of all he surveys.
    nknwgv0ov2t4.jpg
    A mule deer fawn who froze when she saw us in the truck--we were only 20 or 30 yards away... isn't she beautiful?
    6wr65hvchaty.jpg
    The view out my front door.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    Options
    Kim and drkatiebug I appreciate your support. We need to walk that tight line that we love our son, not the choices he is making. I had a case of one of my former student end up in serious trouble with the law. I remember there was a moment with his father that if the father had not condoned his behavior it might have started that young man on the road to making better choices.. I know that father loved his son just like we love ours. We do become the sum of our choices. That is what I appreciate about this group is our hearts are in the right place to help us make healthy choices for ourselves.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @exermom The saddleshoes were $15. I had been spying on them for quite some time. The Antique Mall has "stalls" for individuals to sell their treasures, then I imagine the owner just charges a rental fee. I debated on getting them, but I would "check on them" each month....and finally decided they should be MINE. I imagine they have led quite an exciting life!

@mollywhippet Sorry about all your are going thru with the internet blog, and family. The internet is a cruel world and words DO hurt. I have had my share of "mental issues" pertaining to the internet ie: Facebook, and it almost cost me my marriage. I empathize (((hugs))). Family members that choose alcohol over everything else is heartbreaking. My sister drinks, and its been years since I have chatted on the phone or in person with her without her being drunk. I miss her, but she has chosen to disingage from life. I had to learn to just not care so much, and put so much energy into "fixing" her. It's not my fight, but hers.

@JanetMMcC Congrats on turning 14!!! Lets see....presents for a 14 yr old....hmmm trying to think what I liked as a 14 yr old.....wow, eons ago...hahaha. A new culotte skirt? ok Im dating myself! You know, the majority of women are a size 16-18? You ROCK!

@kayak_kutie Heehee I will tell him! He wishes to have enought kilts to pretty much wear them every day!

@terri_mom Veggies like blueberries, strawberries, and apples???!! I would've called that girl a fruitcake and told her the Jolly Green Giant is gonna track her down! Of course she would've said, "Jolly Green Giant?".....Kids these days!

Well I am down abit from my weight last Wednesday. The walking has helped. I have decided to start taking some calcium pills, 2 tsp of fiber in my water, of course my multi-vitamin, then a chewable probiotic to help with digestion. Too much? Today I had some Post cereal "Great Grains...with pecans and a handful of marionberries...with my very vanilla soy milk...can you say YUMM!
    Well have a great day all of you! Today I plan on reading, maybe buying some adult coloring books online...(pic of gardens, intricate patterns)....and also a large box of crayola crayons! Coloring has always calmed me, and so coloring for a bit each day will be my new stress reliever! I shall take pics of my finished ones :smile:
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Oops forgot to sign my name
    Becca
    by the Beach (on the Oregon Coast)
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon, everyone! Brunch was Golden Corral with the bunch from the gym.......this am only me and three older men. I just got off the phone with one of them; he had been talking of an old buddy he lost track of and I was successful tracking him down in another state. I can't do anything fancy on the computer but I do have great tenacious "google" skills.......LOL!!!! Maybe the word I really should have used is stubborn.

Kim........Gemma thinks going under me is a great game when I'm doing planks; it tickles because she'll "army crawl" if she has to as I sag with laughter. She did so well last night with DD gone; slept on the exact spot on the floor of our bedroom where I put her bed and pointed her to; usually she's in DDs room. Got awake to her staring me down from her bed.

Dee Dee and DJ........Those temps were not for long........currently mid-80's and almost 70% humidity. Going to try to get some out of control bushes trimmed in front of the house I've been meaning to do for weeks.

Penny........Glad your travel went smoothly.........I think you posted a pic in a formal dress a bit back; kept meaning to tell you how much I liked it.

Lesley........Wish I was cold enough to sit and enjoy your fire!!!!

drkatie..........Impressive amt. of skin!!!!!!

Becca........Neat pic of your DH!

Michele...........Your Jessica, I'm guessing, comes down I-81??? I don't like that one either, so many big trucks. It passes right by the town in Pa. that I'm from. Yes, ahhh, youth!!! Haven't heard so I think DD hasn't left the wedding yet.

Sylvia........I'm so sorry; seems like you should have some recourse. For sure, she's telling the world more about herself than anyone else with such vitriol. Safe trip home!

Heather.......Yes, that elusive and rare feeling when everything just "clicks" with another person; doesn't happen often enough these days. I know exactly what you mean.

Margaret.........Sorry about your tough love situation.....(((((hugs))))))) You are right.........we are the product of our choices.

Janetmmc......YAY for the size 14's!!!! I donated hair about two years ago and read some negative stuff about them then but gave it to them anyway. That Lake Peigneur story is amazing; I urge you all to go back and click the link if you haven't......1980, and I don't remember even hearing about it. OMG, the damage we do.
    Pettersson looks interesting as a writer, I also found the Wikipedia entry on her; she graduated from college in Vegas with an English degree and indeed was a showgirl for ten years at the Tropicana!!!!

Lisa..........Absolutely fabulous pics!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

Off to conquer the bushes!!!!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic