Is it okay to workout with a heart rate of 160?

Options
124»

Replies

• EatWholeFoods
    EatWholeFoods Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    When I run and its 144 bpm its easy and 155 is slighty hard and 160 feels pushing and 170 is slow down. I am not running "to see how hard I can push my heart" as Scott said geez haha. I am just running everyday decent and comfortable pace and noticed my heart at 155 or 161 and wondering if its ok and normal. It has been hot and that does affect heart rate. Some days are easy runs, some are tempo, some are fartlek, and some are long run. I mostly see the higher heart rate for a tempo run or fartlek when pace is faster. It is true over time you can go the same pace and heart rate is lower. For me it is 10 beats lower than it was 2 months ago (running at a faster pace now too).
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My heart rate regularly hits 200+ during high intensity workouts and has reached that peak all my life. I've never been obese, though, and don't have any other risk factors. My resting HR/blood pressure is actually much lower than the average. My case is probably atypical for most people, but maybe mostly athletic people are similar? Someone who's been working out regularly for four years sounds pretty athletic. :) If you feel good, I wouldn't be worried.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Thank you-will do so!
  • superrjo
    superrjo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My heart rate generally stays 170-185 when I'm running (usually 7-8 min/mile). My HRM tells me 130-170 is the optimum fat burning zone.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    superrjo wrote: »
    ...is the optimum fat burning zone.

Ignore that.

http://www.self.com/flash/fitness-blog/2012/05/is-the-fat-burning-zone-a-myth/
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    When I run and its 144 bpm its easy and 155 is slighty hard and 160 feels pushing and 170 is slow down. I am not running "to see how hard I can push my heart" as Scott said geez haha. I am just running everyday decent and comfortable pace and noticed my heart at 155 or 161 and wondering if its ok and normal. It has been hot and that does affect heart rate. Some days are easy runs, some are tempo, some are fartlek, and some are long run. I mostly see the higher heart rate for a tempo run or fartlek when pace is faster. It is true over time you can go the same pace and heart rate is lower. For me it is 10 beats lower than it was 2 months ago (running at a faster pace now too).

To be honest, it sounds like you know what you are doing--you can observe your HR and see if it provides any insight, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. Your HR response to exercise sounds perfectly normal.

The issue is not HR per se, but training at the appropriate level, esp if you are running 5-7 days per week. While a person can push it every day, and can train themselves to sustain a higher intensity for extended periods of time, it's not a good long-term strategy (wish I could turn back the clock on that one). And it sounds like you are taking that into account as well. Enjoy your runs!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,558 Member
    Options
    I know my heart rate approaches 90% of HRmax if I cannot 'groan' along with music anymore. In the 80s singing gets slightly difficult, from about 89 onwards it's impossible to get anything consistent out :)
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    i average 150, max 165-175, but don't stay there as it goes back and forth while I'm interval training.
  • EatWholeFoods
    EatWholeFoods Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone great insights and so i think 150 seems fine then but I try to keep my long run at 144 now.
  • DoogCampbell
    DoogCampbell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Heart rate is a very personal thing. Everyone's works at different rates. I think trying to put a level on it through a formula may be ok but should be a guide only. In the end you should go off how you feel and experiment to find what works. If you are concerned about having your heart rate that high for so long then don't be. Your body will tell you if its struggling. I can rest at 50bpm and regularly hit 180/190 in HIIT. My experience tells me that formula and equations are best used as a guide only. The rest is up to you.