Options

Replies

• BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    2 oz ham or turkey (around 50 calories)
    1 light string cheese (50 calories)
    dill pickles

I crave salt so this works great for me :)

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    hupsii wrote: »
    I eat a handful of nuts - ok they are high in kcals but they fill you up nicely and are healthy

Am I the only one who does not feel full from nuts? I need at least two handfulls of the stuff to feel somewhat sated and that is a huge amount of calories!

Ditto. Once in awhile I'll have a huge craving for almonds, and that's the only time I'll eat them. 100 calories for so little! I'd rather eat a couple ounces of deli turkey or something.
  • joshuapowell1989
    joshuapowell1989 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who does not feel full from nuts? I need at least two handfulls of the stuff to feel somewhat sated and that is a huge amount of calories!

I don't get full from nuts, I can literally eat a whole bag or so.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    veggies and hummus
  • AdamImadA
    AdamImadA Posts: 74 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    hupsii wrote: »
    I eat a handful of nuts - ok they are high in kcals but they fill you up nicely and are healthy

A small apple works for me (~70 cal), or a large bell pepper (~30 cal) because it takes a lot of chewing. A little quark with some fruit is also great to sate the hunger (~70 cal) and of course things like munching on a cucumber or carrot. A few grams of chocolate also go a looooong way!

Yes! 400 calories is just getting me started with mixed nuts.

I like cottage cheese.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Laughing cow cheese (35 cal). It comes in all different flavors, I buy a whole bunch and keep at home and work.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Ah, had to look up quark! Cottage Cheese? Yuck ;-) Greek Yoghurt is much better!
    But cottage cheese has more protein than Greek yogurt.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,849 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Ah, had to look up quark! Cottage Cheese? Yuck ;-) Greek Yoghurt is much better!
    But cottage cheese has more protein than Greek yogurt.

And to me ... cottage cheese tastes better and has a better texture. :)

I'm OK with Greek yogurt, I just find it a bit like trying to eat a tub of margarine.

But to each his/her own.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,849 Member
    Options
    What is your go to snack when you don't want to waste calories, but you're soooo hungry? When dinner is postponed, the amazing salad you made for lunch didn't end up tiding you over, you're starting before bed, etc. Example, I ate very well all day so I could dip my crab in butter at a special supper recently. Not a lot of butter, but enough to have worked for it all day. Then dinner was postponed, and I was starving. I drank a huge glass of water, it did nothing. What would you do?

So ... what did you do?

• SunnyDayzMomma
    SunnyDayzMomma Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    So many awesome ideas everyone thank you!! I've started keeping way more fruit and veg around, and lean deli meat. Cottage cheese has always been one of my favorites, especially with sliced tomato in it. Mmmm! And pickles are a great idea to get a date kick :) Thank you everyone, I'm writing all these down to keep me inspired!
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't eat snacks or meals based on them being low calorie as that's a silly reason to put something in my body.

Snacks I eat:

Almonds
    Turkey and whole fat cheese
    Guacamole and Plaintain Chips (dangerous and usually eaten before a workout, lol)
    Jerky
    Kale chips and Hummus
    Cliff bar w/protein and natural PB nuked for 15 secs. + Milk (my favorite pwo snack/meal).

Overall I don't really get that hungry bc I eat large filling meals with LOTS of protein, fiber and veggies that sustain you.

If you constantly are eating processed carbs/simple carbs, expect to be hungry most of the day and to struggle with your weight.
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I keep a few 100 calorie or less snacks about the house because as much as you can plan your day to match your calorie goals, if your body feels hungry there's not a lot you can do about it. Sometimes you just need a little something to stop yourself bingeing.

I dont snack as much as I used to, but I do prefer to eat smaller meals and have a snack or two throughout the day, that's just what works for me though :)

Snack wise; kitkat bars, individually packed oreos, sugar free jelly pots (can you tell I have a sweet tooth? haha), carrots/celery/cucumber and humous, cracker breads with low fat laughing cow cheese triangles (1 cracker- 20 cals & 1 triangle 25 cals, so 50 in all), sometimes I make egg and veggie 'muffins' which are 90cals each. Pretty much anything in a small enough portion can work :)
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I always have pumpkin seeds in my purse. For me they are a decent protien boost and they have more volume than almonds. Good to hold off hunger if dinner gets delayed.
    I also try to keep hardboiled eggs in my fridge for too.
  • helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Edamame beans, love them :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    zaxx1953 wrote: »
    Honestly I don't eat snacks or meals based on them being low calorie as that's a silly reason to put something in my body.
    It's a perfectly rational reason.

Cherry tomatoes
    Strawberries
    Cucumber
    Broccoli with Ranch dip made with Greek yogurt
    Greek yogurt with protein powder

• PinkDeerBoy
    PinkDeerBoy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Some of my usuals are
    Yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Cucumbers or carrots
    Crackers
    Cinnamon or Ginger snap cookies
    Jerky

Though sometimes I might have a tea or hard candy instead, and if I still feel hungry 20 or so minutes later then I will have a snack.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    my trusty wasabi peas have never let me down.

A couple of wasabi peas go a long way. I eat those too. :)
    I might have some plain vegetables- carrots, celery, or peppers usually. Not many calories, lots of chewing.

When I opened the thread I thought this might be about true emergency situations- like what snacks to keep on hand in case of severe weather, getting lost hiking, your car breaks down, or the apocolypse. In which case, I probably would choose dark chocolate, trail mix or a granola bar and not worry about calories so much.
  • RisenRun
    RisenRun Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Quaker Chocolate rice Cakes. Cucumber slices with a tbsp. of balsamic vinegar. 1 cups of raw carrots in (2) Tbsp of dill greek yogurt. So far that's all I got. I make it up as I go along. Love reading some of these too. Thanks for the idea.
  • kevc1986
    kevc1986 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I drink miso soup, it's only 35 calories for a mug.
  • SunnyDayzMomma
    SunnyDayzMomma Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

When I opened the thread I thought this might be about true emergency situations- like what snacks to keep on hand in case of severe weather, getting lost hiking, your car breaks down, or the apocolypse. In which case, I probably would choose dark chocolate, trail mix or a granola bar and not worry about calories so much.

Haha definitely not counting calories during the apocolypse! Maybe the title "unexpected low cal snacks" would the been more appropriate ;) But when your mother in law comes over for an impromptu visit at 5:30 pm, just as you're about to pop the crab legs into the boiling water, it feels a little emergent! Especially when your stomach is growing from saving up calories all day to be able to dip said crab into melted butter! Haha, I might have been a little "hangry"!