Anyone tried Slim Fizz?

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    There is no point in being rude or ridiculing a person for asking a question. That's what a forum is for. When you make the person asking a question feel bad, does it make you feel good? There is a nice way to say something while still reflecting your opinion. Basically, what you are saying is, "You are so completely stupid. Of course, this is a scam, and you are ignorant for thinking it will help you." Be kind to one another. Losing weight is very hard, and we are all looking for ways to make it easier. I am not expressing my opinion here about this diet aid. I am stating that kindness comes back to you. It is too bad the anonymous nature of the Internet allows people to say things in a way that they would NEVER say them to someone's face.

Oh but I would say it your face.

And all my friends would say it to your face. And to mine. That's why we enjoy each other's company as sane, rational, able to learn and progress adults. Now if we were 8 or maybe 12 I might see you your point but we aren't.

There is nothing wrong with being ignorant, there is a lot wrong with 1) reading tone in text and 2) expecting to be babied through life

If you ask a laughable question then you get laughed at, take it with good humour, learn. And move on.

• Sued0nim
    Options
    You know what makes me feel good?

Passing on knowledge

Helping others be successful

And the messages I get that attest to the fact that something I said was worthwhile in someone else's journey

In the same way that direct, intelligent posters helped me finally be a success.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    There is no point in being rude or ridiculing a person for asking a question. That's what a forum is for. When you make the person asking a question feel bad, does it make you feel good? There is a nice way to say something while still reflecting your opinion. Basically, what you are saying is, "You are so completely stupid. Of course, this is a scam, and you are ignorant for thinking it will help you." Be kind to one another. Losing weight is very hard, and we are all looking for ways to make it easier. I am not expressing my opinion here about this diet aid. I am stating that kindness comes back to you. It is too bad the anonymous nature of the Internet allows people to say things in a way that they would NEVER say them to someone's face.

Why do people assume that because people point out online that something will not work, that it is a sham, and will at best cause them to lose short term pounds and a lot of money, at worst be potentially harmful; that you wouldn't say the same things to people in real life?

If one of my friends came to me with this article I would absolutely be just as direct and honest with them about what a bad idea this is and point out more sustainable approaches that I believe will help more than patting them on the back and mollycoddling them.
  • vickigough
    vickigough Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi

I was interested in this tablet as well, as it does seem like a plausible alternative to having a medical procedure to address obesity, without the risks that surgery brings. To effectively full up your stomach, as opposed to reducing the stomach size, seems like an interesting idea to me. Anyway, researching its main ingredient, Glucomannan, The American Journal of Clinicial Nutrition had undertaken a study in 2008, whereby they concluded:

"Glucomannan appears to beneficially affect total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, triglycerides, body weight, and FBG, but not HDL cholesterol or blood pressure. Larger individual studies following patients for longer periods of time and evaluating both safety and efficacy are warranted and needed."

I am still researching the safety of Slim Fizz, but if it is safe, then I will give it a try rather than go down the surgical route. I know a lot of people will be up in arms about the surgical route anway, but each to their own..
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    lcbarke2 wrote: »
    Read this on the Daily Mail this morning, going to order a tube and give it a go. I'm going on holiday in 10 days and want to lose a few pounds!

Snuck up on you did it :)

Last minute deal. :)

Chances of slim fix working...slim to none.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply and giving me some informative links to read.

I simply asked if anyone had tried it and what their experience was.

I am fully aware there is no quick fix and it's a lifestyle change for the long term when addressing weight loss, some quite patronising and judgey replies on here.

I thought the article made interesting reading and wondered if anyone could give me information on the product not an opinion of it.

Look, people are giving you good advice here. There's no reason not to take it, just because people haven't tried the product. If you want people who have, you're probably looking for a different forum, as most of the people around here aren't on board with that kind of thing.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    vickigough wrote: »
    Hi

I was interested in this tablet as well, as it does seem like a plausible alternative to having a medical procedure to address obesity, without the risks that surgery brings. To effectively full up your stomach, as opposed to reducing the stomach size, seems like an interesting idea to me. Anyway, researching its main ingredient, Glucomannan, The American Journal of Clinicial Nutrition had undertaken a study in 2008, whereby they concluded:

"Glucomannan appears to beneficially affect total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, triglycerides, body weight, and FBG, but not HDL cholesterol or blood pressure. Larger individual studies following patients for longer periods of time and evaluating both safety and efficacy are warranted and needed."

I am still researching the safety of Slim Fizz, but if it is safe, then I will give it a try rather than go down the surgical route. I know a lot of people will be up in arms about the surgical route anway, but each to their own..

It you want to go the medical route, find a respected doctor to evaluate you for some prescription help.
    In the meantime, you can fill up your stomach with broccoli, lettuce, cucumbers. Eat enough protein too.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Hi

Or you could 3) eat at a moderate deficit and not have the surgery or buy stomach fillers.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Oh but I would say it your face.

And all my friends would say it to your face. And to mine. That's why we enjoy each other's company as sane, rational, able to learn and progress adults. Now if we were 8 or maybe 12 I might see you your point but we aren't.

There is nothing wrong with being ignorant, there is a lot wrong with 1) reading tone in text and 2) expecting to be babied through life

If you ask a laughable question then you get laughed at, take it with good humour, learn. And move on.

46273049.jpg
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I'm personally not an advocate of supplements but to each their own and if you want to try it, go ahead and try it. Do your research and try it for a bit, see how it effects you. It's all trial/error with this stuff anyway. It comes down to eating less and moving more. Just remember that all of these drinks and pills are made to "Assist" with your own weight loss efforts. It's not like you can take a pill or drink a drink and change nothing else and magically lose weight. But if it helps you to feel full with a smaller portion of real food? if it gives you an energy boost, if it helps you to lose a few ounces even along with your healthy nutritional habits? Go for it.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I'm personally not an advocate of supplements but to each their own and if you want to try it, go ahead and try it. Do your research and try it for a bit, see how it effects you. It's all trial/error with this stuff anyway. It comes down to eating less and moving more. Just remember that all of these drinks and pills are made to "Assist" with your own weight loss efforts. It's not like you can take a pill or drink a drink and change nothing else and magically lose weight. But if it helps you to feel full with a smaller portion of real food? if it gives you an energy boost, if it helps you to lose a few ounces even along with your healthy nutritional habits? Go for it.

I see from your diary you are still having major issues with your eating disordered approach to food and exercise. Have you made a doctor's appointment yet? I sincerely hope you have
  • jackshumpypeach
    jackshumpypeach Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for everyone's responses. Good luck to everyone, hope you achieve your goal. I'm 11 lb down now with another 14 lb to go.
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It is literally a carbonation tablet with some soluble fiber and 200+ mg of sodium in it (source). That's it. The active ingredient is glucomannan, and there's no real evidence it does anything much for weight loss.

EDITED TO ADD: The dose of glucomannan isn't even that great. A glucomannan pill would give you more of the fiber and less sodium.

• ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Anyway, researching its main ingredient, Glucomannan, The American Journal of Clinicial Nutrition had undertaken a study in 2008, whereby they concluded:

A 2014 meta-analysis of studies using proper randomized control protocols found that there's no real evidence it helps weight loss, and that existing trials were lacking in rigorousness.

"The evidence from available RCTs does not show that glucomannan intake generates statistically significant weight loss. Future trials should be more rigorous and better reported."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24533610

• Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    If you want something that swells up in your stomach and adds fiber to your diet, try chia seeds, they are really cheap and if you want to drink them, you can make your own smoothies.

I am not a fan of potions, pills and powders but I can certainly understand someone looking for something to help them feel fuller for longer, to use as a diet aid. Regular food can give you that, and as lame as it sounds, fruit and veggies really are the solution to that problem and can help you eat at a deficit.

I was rebellious for so long about fruit and veg, but since upping their quantities my hunger is way more manageable. I still eat junk and treats when I feel like it, but lowering the ratios makes it sustainable. Good luck.
  • Blubberboss
    Blubberboss Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If something would really truly work well there would not be many overweight people in the world.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Article- product-stupid name- no doubt ridiculous claims

I know nothing about it

But the way you lose weight is calories in<calories out

Definitely this.

@Jackshumpypeach, I see you only have 20 pounds to lose, which is not much. I encourage you to set up your goals in MFP to lose a half pound a week, weigh your food and log everything you eat, and make sure you stay in your calorie goals. The only way to lose weight is to eat at a calorie deficit.

If you like to exercise (I say this because it's not necessary to weight loss), you can add some of that in too. I personally encourage weight lifting, and I also love to run and do the elliptical.
  • SLLRunner
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply and giving me some informative links to read.

I simply asked if anyone had tried it and what their experience was.

I am fully aware there is no quick fix and it's a lifestyle change for the long term when addressing weight loss, some quite patronising and judgey replies on here.

I thought the article made interesting reading and wondered if anyone could give me information on the product not an opinion of it.

Well, you got me there.....if you know there is not a quick fix, why did you ask about the product?

If you don't want someone's opinion on it, which is all we can really give, why did you ask?

This product is just the by-product, if you will, of all the other scams and shams out there that want to take your money by promising quick weight loss.

There is no patronizing and judging going on from those who have answered your questions- just straight forward honesty.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

If someone asked me about a quick fix product, I would say to them in person exactly what I said here, and I have a feelings others would as well.

None of us can control how a person feels when we say the truth.
  • jackshumpypeach
    jackshumpypeach Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will continue with what I've been doing, and and do some more cardiovascular to help with the last stone.