binge eating pen pal??

Options
Hello. Anyone struggling with bulimia and or binge eating disorders, I would love if we could be each others pen pals or something? I know I really need the help too:c
Thanks xx

Replies

• emmakelly990078
    emmakelly990078 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I Would be interested!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Guys I'm pretty sure this is a bad idea without a professional

Eating disordered thinking needs to be surrounded by "normal thinking"

You risk reinforcing each other's issues
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

all of that and more
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Yes, big time.

OP, if you are practicing binge eating and/or bulimia, you need to get professional help, including therapy.
  • estherssweater
    estherssweater Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Yes, big time.

OP, if you are practicing binge eating and/or bulimia, you need to get professional help, including therapy.

Therapy doesn't help. I tried and I always predict and over think what they're are going to say. It's so hard guys:( Thank you.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

Yes, big time.

Therapy doesn't help. I tried and I always predict and over think what they're are going to say. It's so hard guys:( Thank you.

Have you considered seeing a psychiatrist and possibly trying medication? I agree with rabbit-PMing each other about your binges is bound to end in reinforcing behavior.

In the least, friend some people with healthier mindsets who will not encourage your bingeing and/or purging.
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Maybe they are just looking for people that they can relate. just like how people who over eat discuss weight loss progress. they need support from one another to encourage themselves to eat more and be healthy. I don't think this is a bad idea. As long as they arent reinforcing eachothers negative behaviors, just some encouragement to eat and not overcompensate for eating. i see this exactly the same as us overweight people discussing their weight loss journy, just with opposite goals.
  • slaite1
    Options
    Cocoa1020 wrote: »
    Maybe they are just looking for people that they can relate. just like how people who over eat discuss weight loss progress. they need support from one another to encourage themselves to eat more and be healthy. I don't think this is a bad idea. As long as they arent reinforcing eachothers negative behaviors, just some encouragement to eat and not overcompensate for eating. i see this exactly the same as us overweight people discussing their weight loss journy, just with opposite goals.

Except OP specifically mentioned eating disorders-which is surely not the "opposite" of weight loss. There is a difference between the occasional binge and having BED or bulimia. She also mentioned she left therapy-so she is still in the disorder. Going to strongly disagree.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

No it's not the same thing at all. I strongly believe you are incorrect in seeing no issues in this
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Yes, big time.

Find a new therapist.
  • Cocoa1020
    Options
    I see it as the OP wanting to overcome her eating disorder with the support of other people in her similiar situation. Remember you don't have to be underweight to have an eating disorder. She is struggling with bulimia which is basically binge eating and then over compensation for the binge. you either force yourself to vomit or work out for a very long time (hours and hours and hours). You don't know what her weight is and what her goals are.

also what i meant by "opposite goals" was to gain weight. i was jumping to conclusions that she was underweight. Don't we all talk to similiar people with our same goals? I have more people looking to lose weight on my profile. and i see a lot of the strength trainers being friend with others who lift.

Again, I did not see the OP wanting a friend so they can promote eachothers binges but to overcome them instead.
  • slaite1
    Options
    I see it as the OP wanting to overcome her eating disorder with the support of other people in her similiar situation. Remember you don't have to be underweight to have an eating disorder. She is struggling with bulimia which is basically binge eating and then over compensation for the binge. you either force yourself to vomit or work out for a very long time (hours and hours and hours). You don't know what her weight is and what her goals are.

also what i meant by "opposite goals" was to gain weight. i was jumping to conclusions that she was underweight. Don't we all talk to similiar people with our same goals? I have more people looking to lose weight on my profile. and i see a lot of the strength trainers being friend with others who lift.

Again, I did not see the OP wanting a friend so they can promote eachothers binges but to overcome them instead.

Again, though, there is a world of difference between general fitness people and general people trying to gain or lose weight. OP has an eating disorder. She may not be LOOKING for someone to reinforce her behavior-but chances are that is exactly what will happen.

Support groups, etc for people with EDs are supervised by a clinician. Having a diagnosed disorder changes the game a bit.

OP-I hope you consider some of what is being said here and try to get help again :smile:
  • themonstermash
    themonstermash Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It actually really helps having someone to relate to instead of having to give a watered down version of yourr issues.
  • Cocoa1020
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

Again, though, there is a world of difference between general fitness people and general people trying to gain or lose weight. OP has an eating disorder. She may not be LOOKING for someone to reinforce her behavior-but chances are that is exactly what will happen.

Support groups, etc for people with EDs are supervised by a clinician. Having a diagnosed disorder changes the game a bit.

OP-I hope you consider some of what is being said here and try to get help again :smile:

That's true that support groups are supervised. I just felt like everyone was jumping down the OP's throat for the wrong reasons.

I think we all would like them to succeed and over come their disorders. :)
  • mrs_j_smith
    mrs_j_smith Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree with find a new therapist and maybe instead of a MFP group, try an "overeaters anonymous" or other disordered eating group with a moderator that knows how to guide you.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

That's true that support groups are supervised. I just felt like everyone was jumping down the OP's throat for the wrong reasons.

I'm sorry but where exactly do you see "jumping down throats" I only see concern and advice
  • slaite1
    Options

Feedback that goes against what someone asks is often seen in a negative light-particularly on public forums. No throat jumping-just honesty.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Yes, big time.

How Yoga Can Help End Binge Eating

One breath at a time, end the suffering of binge-eating

...According to Juliano, yoga gives people the skills to stay with what they are feeling, rather than turning to food to escape. People who are obese or suffering from eating disorders have a tendency to dissociate from their bodies -- to choose not to feel what they are feeling when they are angry, anxious, or sad. Often, they turn to food to numb themselves. "There's this sense that I have to feel better right now, " Juliano says. "There is a complete intolerance of what is happening right now." This need to escape unpleasant feelings triggers a binge.

When you eat to escape what you are feeling, you lose touch with the experience of eating, as well. This is one reason binges can spiral out of control. "You have no understanding that you are full, way past full, into uncomfortable, because you're so out of it," Juliano explains. "You have no connection to what you're eating. You're eating a pint of ice cream and can't even taste it. Or you go to make yourself some toast and before you know it, half the loaf is gone."

Mindful yoga directly challenges the habit of dissociating from your body and your present-moment experience. "The whole point of yoga is to stay connected to your body. You learn it through practice, through breathing, and through breathing through the sensations."

Read more: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-science-willpower/201007/how-yoga-can-help-end-binge-eating
  • estherssweater
    estherssweater Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you.I can see where the concern is in reinforcing behavior. If you've never had an ED maybe you do not understand but it's not easy to just go to a new therapist or join a group. Everyone recovers in different ways, I am not comfortable being with a group of people & discussing my issues. A support group can always backfire because there could be someone thinner than you or with seemingly worse problems and you feel you don't deserve to be there,not worthy enough for help etc. Therapy..I just hate it so much! I don't want help from someone who went to school,got their PhD in psychology and now it's their "job" to help me. It makes me feel like a insignificant person who will be filed away at the end of the day. It never helped in the past anyways:c I WANT help with this ED I've been going through since I was 8 by someone who actually understands me. I'm not looking for reinforcement,just someone to msg when I feel like crap and want to binge and can tell me it's not worth it because it will only make me feel worse. Someone who needs the same friendship because they're going through it too.
    I use to be severely underweight from restricting, I gained weight back from emotional eating after being treated badly at work. That's a horrible way to recover as it was not by choice, and now it's turned into this vicious cycle of binge is one things purge-restrict-binge and so on. Again, I am so greatful for the concern and also to cocoa1020 thank you for understanding... Trust me guys, there is nothing better than having a friend to talk to. Being on here is already helping
  • Cocoa1020
    Options
    I just see you on here like everyone else. We all have different goals on here. yes having the ED makes it a little more complicated but at the end of the day we are all here for the same reason and that is TO GET HEALTHY!!! We just have to take a different path. Some us need to walk on the weight loss path. Others need to gain weight.
    I'm not sure if nutritionist help with ED's but why dont you try seeing one of them to help plan out meals and teach you a healthy way to eat?

You can always try looking for another psychologist. One that is more warm towards her patients and doesnt make you feel like another number/file. Remember there are good doctors and bad ones. You need to find one that is right for you. I'm sure there is one out there.

The important thing is that you reconize that you have a problem and you are working to get better. If you want you can add me as a friend go for it but I'll leave that up to you. Most of my status's are about losing weight and trying to control what I eat and exercising etc and I wouldn't want my status's to reinforce any negative behavior.

good luck :)