Almond butter.... foul!?!

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I love almonds, but don't care for almond butter. Maybe it's just because I've eaten (and loved) peanut butter for so long but almond butter tastes bland to me. I've tried 2 different brands and ended up throwing them both away. Pb is cheaper anyway and I love it.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I think you either like it or you don't. Smell it; your nose will tell you if it's rancid.

If it's plain, you could add a little salt; that might help. Also, it's delicious mixed with an equal amount of honey, then dip apple slices into it.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    i opened a jar in the store to sample it before i bought it,it was kinda yucky so i left it on the shelf!

Wow, just wow. You put a product back on the shelf after you stuck your finger in it for someone else to buy unsuspectingly? Disgusting.
  • kitkatkarr
    kitkatkarr Posts: 97 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    When I first tried almond butter I thought it taste a bit off but overtime I came to enjoy it. Just gotta get used to
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    i opened a jar in the store to sample it before i bought it,it was kinda yucky so i left it on the shelf!

Aren't you just darling!
    desismileys_2964.gif
  • harg311
    harg311 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    All Almond Butters taste so different. I have tried Maranatha and didn't care for it. I can use it in a smoothy but not raw. I love the Justins though. My favorites are the Maple Almond, Honey Almond, and the Chocolate Hazelnut Almond Butter. Put it on toast, or a waffle with banana in it, taco style. :-) I know Sprouts sells the small sample packs so you can try some of those to find out which you like. They cost about $1.50 each, that way you don't spend too much on jar you don't like.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

That's nasty and gross!!! And also stealing!! You should be a shame of yourself!!! :/
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    When of these days I need to try almond butter, I like almonds, I did noticed that they are pricey for such a small jar.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Made some almond butter in my BlendTec and loved it. I'm not even a huge fan of almonds. I got a BlendTec twister jar so i can make all kinds of crazy stuff. It's going to be fun.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »
    Brand / recipe matters. The first almond butter I tried (Marantha) I also thought was terrible. Then I met Justin's almond butter. Can't seem to keep Justin's nut products out of my mouth.

I'm just gonna walk away from that one.

Right! I'm trying to hard to be mature...
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

Aren't you just darling!
    desismileys_2964.gif

Agreed. This must be the same considerate person who broke the seal on the veggie broth I bought and brought home. I would have never thought to take off the lid and check the inner seal. Nice way to cost a fellow shopper $$ and inconvenience. CLASSY!
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    The only almond butter I can do is Jiffy's. Theres is great.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    whmscll wrote: »

Seriously? You just left a jar you opened and ate out of on the shelf for someone else to buy?

:noway: That would be pretty bad. Did you dunk your finger in there??

Sadly, I suspect that this could be true.

People actually do that in one of the grocery stores near where I work. It's absolutely disgusting!! And you've really got to check everything when you buy it to make sure someone hasn't been into it, sampling.

oh boy ! You'd hear me squawking in the next isle if I ever saw someone doing that in my local grocery store.
    Imagine getting home looking forward to your beloved peanut butter, and there was a dirty big finger full missing :open_mouth::sick:

There's just so many people who do it in that particular store.

At any given moment there will be someone standing at the cherries in the produce section, eating them and tucking the stones under the boxes ... next aisle over, someone is carefully opening a box of granola bars and removing a couple ... a few aisles over, someone is helping themselves to a smear of deodorant ... one yogurt in a 6-pack might be opened and half eaten ...

Like I say, it's absolutely disgusting!

Sometimes they have police roaming through ... quite frequently, there will be calls for cameras in aisle 6 or wherever ... but it doesn't seem to help. Some people are just pigs.

Yikes! Why do continue to give this store your business? If I witnessed something like that once, I would chalk it up to one person's inappropriate behavior. But if I witnessed it repeatedly, I would be so put off that I would go out of my way (and expense) to shop somewhere else where I felt like the management were appropriately responsive and the clientele were well behaved. I'd avoid going to the store near work and only go to stores near home that I've vetted for the above conditions.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Just disgusting behavior on your part.

I love almond butter. The raw kind tastes sweet to me (well, almonds in general taste sweet to me) and toasted and salted has a little more oomph. Both are delicious. I usually get mine from Trader Joes.

If it was gross, OP, you probably had a bad jar, just like everyone is saying.

• tabby_123
    tabby_123 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »
    Brand / recipe matters. The first almond butter I tried (Marantha) I also thought was terrible. Then I met Justin's almond butter. Can't seem to keep Justin's nut products out of my mouth.

I'm just gonna walk away from that one.

Oh my gosh I'm literally dying of laughter!
  • RetroPolkaDot
    RetroPolkaDot Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't care for the almond butter that has the oil on the top.
    I really like Barney Butter brand almond butter. I usually only use it when I am bored of peanut butter.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Made some almond butter in my BlendTec and loved it. I'm not even a huge fan of almonds. I got a BlendTec twister jar so i can make all kinds of crazy stuff. It's going to be fun.

I do the same in my vitamix. obsessssssssssed with cashew-almond butter with cinnamon added.

• DuckReconMajor
    Options

I do the same in my vitamix. obsessssssssssed with cashew-almond butter with cinnamon added.

oh man that sounds delicious. I bought some stuff to maybe try my hand at low calorie nutella :yum:
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

oh man that sounds delicious. I bought some stuff to maybe try my hand at low calorie nutella :yum:

If it's good, post the recipe?

• DuckReconMajor
    Options

If it's good, post the recipe?

Sure. It may be a while until I get around to it though, and honestly my tastes differ from most but I will try!