What has helped you be most successful?

Options

Replies

• CatMom8
    CatMom8 Posts: 6 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Came back to MFP without the 'tude the last time I had. It is keeping me honest (for the most part.) Weighing and measuring my food. Going low carb. Exercise, which I am slowly ramping up. Finding protein shakes that I can use, as I am lactose intolerant. Finding wonderful online support groups. I always hated going to Weight Watchers meetings, etc. But I like the online component. I feel more relaxed. I have learned a lot! Oh.. and trying harder to "listen" to my belly and not overeat. VERY difficult.
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Exercise; realising I can workout at home, that there are tons of workouts for free online (so no excuses!) and that it's not for weight loss (unless you count a bigger deficit) but to make me healthier/fitter overall. Weighing scale too as many people have said.

Also realising that I can eat pretty much whatever I want (within moderation) and still lose weight. I used to think as long as I was eating 'healthy' foods it didn't matter how much of it I was eating, and that I had to have no junk or 'bad' foods. Definitely not the case, a big part of why I think I've stuck with it so long is that I'm not restricting :)
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Using a food scale
    Eating at home
    Planning a weekly menu
    Planning for a snack after dinner
    Not drinking my calories by cutting out/back alcohol
    Eating breakfast when I'm hungry, not just because I woke up.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Eliminating added sugar.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Fear. I hate the thought of having disease or to take meds everyday just because I wanted to eat too many chips.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    (1) Food scale. (2) Finding other coping techniques for dealing with stress/anxiety/depression. (3) Eating out less and cooking/baking more.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Logging my food everyday and knowing that there are others that are on this weight loss journey like me who are being patient and consistent also.

70044776.png
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Patience and leaving emotion out of it. And a food scale.

This.

It's really helpful to me to approach this analytically. So what I did was think of my weight as a problem to solve like I'd approach a problem at work. I figured out what I was doing to gain weight and changed that--obviously what I was doing was eating excess calories, but I figured out precisely how I was doing it and the least painful way to instead have a calorie deficit. I also decided to create good habits, like exercise. And because I like data I used this tool and others (like a spreadsheet) to monitor stuff. When I messed up that was something to fix, not something to get upset or down on myself about. It was a logical problem, not an emotional thing. This made a huge difference in my ability to do it and sustain what I was doing and made it more interesting also.

Creating a community helps too. For various reasons I didn't want to talk about weight loss with people off line, so MFP was helpful there, but now that I'm into exercise and training activities it's easy to find communities and that helps me with motivation (as does training for things). For example, I got into running more by signing up for races and I've gotten much more serious about swimming by signing up for a masters swim group (which is also more fun than laps on my own).
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    the success stories really really help
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Back in the day it was hiring a coach/trainer. Nowadays, patience.
  • longarmlou
    longarmlou Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I set a goal for myself. I want go backpacking in the Grand Canyon in April, if we can get the permits. It is about being fit & able to carry a large backpack.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Persistence & patience & my food scale and weighing everything in grams...no cups or spoons!
    Plus i made an agreement/promise with myself..and because i am a person who keeps promises it is hard to break it.
    And there are no and i have no excuses to not lose weight.
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Definitely patience, realising I don't have to cut out anything and major forum lurking :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    • Food scale
    • Meal prep
    • Thinking of exercise as a path to health- when I think of it as a part of weight loss, it feels like a chore
    • Consistency
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    longarmlou wrote: »
    I set a goal for myself. I want go backpacking in the Grand Canyon in April, if we can get the permits. It is about being fit & able to carry a large backpack.

I'm going in September! When you apply for permits, see if you can get a meal reservation at the Phantom Ranch, if that's where you're going. Amazing food. [apologies to others for the derailment]
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Food scale and water.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    patience and consistency
  • pineapple_pizza
    pineapple_pizza Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Congrats for your longest streak! I'm on mine currently. I've used MFP a few times before but this is the first time it has been sustainable for me.

I agree with others that getting a food scale was the thing that has helped most; there is no guessing measurements anymore! Also learning forgiveness and respect in regards to the process. I'm better at forgiving myself for slipping up and don't just throw in the towel because I've had an off day. Furthermore, learning to respect my body and appreciate it has been really important. I'm changing my lifestyle to get stronger and healthier.