Any tips to help me ignore the good things in life - beer and chocolate?

Options
I've a weak spot for these.....help!!!!

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Fit them into your day if you want them. I lost all my weight while enjoying the foods I love in moderation
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Have some once in awhile. Make it fit into your calorie goal.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Don't ignore them, just have them in moderation. It's not likely sustainable to complete cut them out, so budget for them!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I still drink beer...just less of it than I used to. I don't eat much milk chocolate anymore, but often have a square or two of dark chocolate for desert.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Put a big sign on the front of your refrigerator with the following...Do I love the temporary feeling of beer and chocolate more than I do getting healthy, so that I can live a longer life?
  • arditarose
    Options
    Put a big sign on the front of your refrigerator with the following...Do I love the temporary feeling of beer and chocolate more than I do getting healthy, so that I can live a longer life?

That's depressing. You can have some beer and chocolate and still live a long life.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

That's depressing. You can have some beer and chocolate and still live a long life.

Second that. My mental health would suffer if I skipped the things I love, and my body is healthy with them.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I had to cut them out until I had the will power to consume in moderation...
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    You don't need to ignore any food items.

You need to learn portion control and eat beer and chocolate in moderation.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    edited July 2015
    Options

I don't think there is anything depressing about advising a person who has publicly acknowledged in this thread and another, ( a lack of will power to exercise and eating a lot of junk food etc) that it may not be in his or her best interest (for many reasons) to put that temptation constantly before them. It is counter-productive, in my opinion.

If a person wasn't struggling in this manner, my reply would have been different.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I don't think there is anything depressing about advising a person who has publicly acknowledged in this thread and another, ( a lack of will power to exercise and eating a lot of junk food etc) that it may not be in his or her best interest (for many reasons) to put that temptation constantly before them. It is counter-productive, in my opinion.

If a person wasn't struggling in this manner, my reply would have been different.

I think that there's a big difference between saying, "This doesn't fit into my goals right now," and "This will make me live a shorter, less healthy life." If someone chooses to ignore chocolate or beer, that's fine. But learning to include it in moderation won't shorten their life span!

• kk_inprogress
    Options

I think that there's a big difference between saying, "This doesn't fit into my goals right now," and "This will make me live a shorter, less healthy life." If someone chooses to ignore chocolate or beer, that's fine. But learning to include it in moderation won't shorten their life span!

^this
  • arditarose
    Options

Right. Thank you.
  • quietblue08
    quietblue08 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    There are just some foods that i call my trigger foods. Right now, im not in a place to try and allow myself to fit those into my day. Some people just arnt ready for that, and thats ok. You take it one day at a time... if u cant stop at one or two beers or bites then dont tempt yourself
  • quietblue08
    Options
    There are just some foods that i call my trigger foods. Right now, im not in a place to try and allow myself to fit those into my day. Some people just arnt ready for that, and thats ok. You take it one day at a time... if u cant stop at one or two beers or bites then dont tempt yourself
  • quietblue08
    Options
  • BasicGreatGuy
    Options

It was a shock motivation suggestion. Sometimes, a person needs something in their face to get them motivated. Once he or she has established a healthy foundation (in several areas) in training, adding some of those previous temptations back (if still desired) in moderation isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I made a specific post to the OP, because I had followed previous posts. I wasn't making a statement that applied to every person without exception.

If the OP doesn't like my suggestion, that is fine. I would have done him a disservice, if I hadn't given him an honest opinion. I agree it was terse. But, like I said, if the situation was different, my reply would have been different.

You disagree with me and that is fine. I don't give out one size fits all answers.
  • larali1980
    larali1980 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I loved beer but unfortunately cannot have it. If alcohol is not a problem for you, you should be able to indulge once in a while. Just skip breakfast or something to counteract the calories. (OK, I know that is bad advice...)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

Naah. Just have them, but make sure you stay within calories #IIFYM
  • brettb97
    brettb97 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Great advice guys! Keep it coming! :)