(Opinion) Horrible Workout Days

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    your friends and family can support your goals without having to hold your hand. If you want people to work out with, ask them to join you. But don't belittle the support they have for your by stating that somehow if they don't work out with you, they're phony. That's just insulting and, sorry, but makes you sound like a bit of a baby.
  • fatasstobadass
    fatasstobadass Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

Thanks for all your feedback. I just got back from the park (the gym was a no-go), and I got a good workout in. I'm aware that it's nobodies responsibility to help me lose weight. After all, I lost 120+ lbs on my own, without the help of anyone. But when I lost the weight, I had a plethora of friends and family reach out to me and beg me for workouts; so I teach a fitness class for them every Saturday at our local park. At first, the classes were full, and they began to be my motivation; but overtime, they stopped coming. And those same ones are liking my FB weight loss pics, yet won't respond to my messages about working out. I guess I got used to their company. Hope that adds a little clarification. I'm not dependent, just thought I had some permanent workout buddies.

I do feel better after that workout. Thanks so much for all the feedback. I read all your messages :)

Keep up the great work guys, it's a battle! :wink:
  • fatasstobadass
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    I've had those days! Unfortunately, the only way I can kick that feeling is by working out. You can do this! You'll feel better when you get done.

I wanted to let you know that I read your message and hopped right out of my chair. Thanks for your encouragement :)

Just now seeing all the other responses!
  • fatasstobadass
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Want me to insult/motivate you?

Like an army drill sergeant?

Haha :blush: I'm a fitness trainer, but I feel low sometimes too. I got it together, Sargent.
  • fatasstobadass
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @fatasstobadass - it looks like you've lost 120 pounds - is that right? Way to go! Did your friends and family workout with you that whole time? None of mine have ever worked out with me. Well, I had an ex who almost killed me on the tennis court, but that doesn't count...

But, yeah, lots of times I don't want to and force myself. Like today. It was really hot and the last thing I wanted to do was garden. But I got out there anyway and am glad I did.

Thanks for your encouragement!
  • fatasstobadass
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I have them a lot. Typically I just have low energy and get exhausted. Honestly I'd much rather workout alone than with anyone anyway.

:)
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I've been working out by myself for the past 3.5 months. In fact, I prefer to work out alone, working out with others turns into more socializing than working out and I'm not here for that.
  • fatasstobadass
    Options
    The fact is, no one is obligated to support you. Would it be nice? Sure. But it's not fair for you to expect it, and you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you do.

You're absolutely right.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

Thanks for all your feedback. I just got back from the park (the gym was a no-go), and I got a good workout in. I'm aware that it's nobodies responsibility to help me lose weight. After all, I lost 120+ lbs on my own, without the help of anyone. But when I lost the weight, I had a plethora of friends and family reach out to me and beg me for workouts; so I teach a fitness class for them every Saturday at our local park. At first, the classes were full, and they began to be my motivation; but overtime, they stopped coming. And those same ones are liking my FB weight loss pics, yet won't respond to my messages about working out. I guess I got used to their company. Hope that adds a little clarification. I'm not dependent, just thought I had some permanent workout buddies.

I do feel better after that workout. Thanks so much for all the feedback. I read all your messages :)

Wow. That's extremely cool of you. I'm sorry your friends and family dropped out of your class! I'd join ya.
  • fatasstobadass
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Other than a few times I've convinced my father to join me on walks, I always work out alone. And that's what I prefer to do. Not joining you doesn't equal not supporting you

True :)
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    I've had those days! Unfortunately, the only way I can kick that feeling is by working out. You can do this! You'll feel better when you get done.

I wanted to let you know that I read your message and hopped right out of my chair. Thanks for your encouragement :)

Just now seeing all the other responses!

Glad to help! Way to get after it!
  • fatasstobadass
    Options
    i6Shot wrote: »
    Watch any Youtube vid of Ronnie Coleman. Surely he will get you Psyched!

I'm going to check him out! Thanks!
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Granted, it would be fun and encouraging to have a workout partner. Like you, I am by myself, as my brother and his wife are working when I am kicking calorie butt. He is an elite runner. His last marathon was 100 miles in 37 hrs non-stop. He gives me tips and encourages via text and in person when he can, asking me how things are going. That is a lot even though he can't workout with.

Have you asked one here, to see if anyone lives close to you, that would be interested? Maybe check at your gym?

Dig down deep and grab some desire and inspiration. Remember where you came from and where you are headed. You can do it.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    What? They have to work out with you to be supportive? Nope, sorry. This is your journey, they have their own. Maybe they don't want to do what you do in the gym. Maybe they would, but they'd be HORRIBLE workout partners. (Like my brother, lol. He has his ideas and I have mine. We tried to work out together once and wanted to kill each other by the end of it. Or my ex. He was just lazy as **** and hated every minute that wasn't the sauna.)

Take up martial arts or join a recreational sports league or something. Then, think of your time in the gym as training for that.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

Heh. Sounds like they joined the class following your weight loss, didn't get their own magical 120lb loss and hey, we're actually expected to do this *kitten* forever??? What?

Gym Classes are my primary workout. It's almost entertainment as much as its a workout for the attendees...
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Oh, you're talking about this stuff on Facebook? Ok, not to be harsh, and sorry to tell you, but no one is interested in other people's fitness journeys. I learned this the hard way (not on FB, just in real life. People got sick of hearing me talk about it). If you get a few likes on FB, that's already showing that your friends are very tolerant and love you a lot.

Sorry for linking to this source, it just came up:

"Dislike dislike dislike! Fitness boasters, 'checker-inners' and overly proud parents are the biggest social media irritants
    - 53 per cent of respondents found fitness boasters annoying
    "

but there are many more, and stuff like this exists because people hate it so much

post-not-post.jpg

1337549234365_4074786.png

I would talk about other things on FB.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Oh, you're talking about this stuff on Facebook? Ok, not to be harsh, and sorry to tell you, but no one is interested in other people's fitness journeys. I learned this the hard way (not on FB, just in real life. People got sick of hearing me talk about it). If you get a few likes on FB, that's already showing that your friends are very tolerant and love you a lot.

Sorry for linking to this source, it just came up:

"Dislike dislike dislike! Fitness boasters, 'checker-inners' and overly proud parents are the biggest social media irritants
    - 53 per cent of respondents found fitness boasters annoying
    "

but there are many more, and stuff like this exists because people hate it so much

post-not-post.jpg

1337549234365_4074786.png

I would talk about other things on FB.

This is unfortunately true. Half of why I love MFP is that I can talk about goals, achievements and struggles with nutrition, fitness and weight loss and no one gets upset about it.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    Options
    OK: now I see where the disappointment came from.

Unfortunately these people saw your success and thought you have some incredible secret short-cut up your sleeve.

When they joined you for the work-outs and realized that the first part of a work-out involves WORK, they slowly starting dropping off.

They encourage you because they ARE your friends/relatives. That's why they continue to "like" your efforts.

BUT, they do not have your motivation(s) and they are obviously not yet ready to undertake the same transformation.

Some friends recently told me that they feel guilty about what they're eating when we go out and they see me eat more carefully. Another one got genuinely pissed because I was trying to figure out that calories of what *I* was eating.

See the issue? It has to do with their own selves and it has nothing to do with supporting you.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    See the issue? It has to do with their own selves and it has nothing to do with supporting you.
    so so so true.

• fatasstobadass
    Options
    I've been working out by myself for the past 3.5 months. In fact, I prefer to work out alone, working out with others turns into more socializing than working out and I'm not here for that.

That's so true!