Dieting during medical marijuana smoking

Options
ghosthost6
ghosthost6 Posts: 3 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I live in California where smoking prescription pot is legal. Problem is...MUNCHIES!! Does anyone have tips on how to overcome munchies when dieting and actively smoking marijuana?

Replies

• karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    B) I don't know why I will be looking forward for the comments :D
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    ghosthost6 wrote: »
    I live in California where smoking pot is legal. Problem is...MUNCHIES!! Does anyone have tips on how to overcome munchies when dieting and avidly smoking marijuana?

maybe the problem is in the smoking, which make you lose control?

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    LOL Me too! I bookmarked it.

OP...All I got is the most obvious...quit smoking.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't know. Don't have a high volume of calorie dense snacks in the house? Load up on fruits/veg, have things portioned out, and try to snack on that instead? That's hard.
  • daniel_parrett
    daniel_parrett Posts: 30 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    smoke up before meal time and eat a normal meal... probably more satisfying than eating random junk food.

"ever worked out... on weed??"
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Can you replace peanut butter cups with celery and peanut butter, and have it pre-portioned? Sorry. That's all I got.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    That's like a post saying you get drunk then eat 2 pizzas and make a fort out of the boxes.

The food isn't the issue its the loss of control from self inflicted drug use.

Or maybe plan a head and have healthy snacks layed out on a plate.

I recommend carrot and celery sticks, soak then in water and different food colouring so when your high you think your eating music or colours. Job done.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    B) I don't know why I will be looking forward for the comments :D

Lol, me too. I have never occupied the space on the venn diagram where "smoker" and "dieter" overlap.

Maybe 38 goldfish crackers (#72 on this list of snacks under 100 cals)

http://greatist.com/health/88-unexpected-snacks-under-100-calories

They have to be EXACTLY 38, though, have to count them right

• eatgoodeat
    eatgoodeat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    ct420.gif
    3ttiwE9.gif
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, population studies have shown marijuana users tend to have lower weight than non-users.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Interestingly, population studies have shown marijuana users tend to have lower weight than non-users.

Any theories why?
  • kf_martin
    kf_martin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you eat before you smoke you won't have the munchies as bad, and when you do have the munchies choose healthy snacks like fruits and veggies and of course counter act some of it with working out at least a little everyday
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    kf_martin wrote: »
    If you eat before you smoke you won't have the munchies as bad, and when you do have the munchies choose healthy snacks like fruits and veggies and of course counter act some of it with working out at least a little everyday

I don't think it works that way. Nothing gets in the way of the munchies.
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    All in your head. Maybe I've been smoking too long I no longer get the munchies >:)
  • Efemral
    Efemral Posts: 16 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I heard, from... a friend... that vaping caused less of the munchies than using a bong. But that is just one person's experience. Another idea is to buy really healthy snacks so that when you do get the irresistible urge to eat, it's going to be carrots you're raiding the fridge for. (Also, if possible, go out and do something interesting when high, it'll take your mind off your hunger.)
  • eatgoodeat
    eatgoodeat Posts: 180 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    pretty sure geeking tightens abs doe
    tumblr_myfv2ePKoe1qfz9kxo1_500.gif
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    or, just thinking out loud, hypothetically, maybe a small chicken shawarma, w just a little garlic sauce and tahini might be suitable for some other person who did that
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

Any theories why?
    To date, only conjecture, no real tested hypotheses that explain the phenomena. Short term appetite increases (the munchies) are clinically true which is why it seems paradoxical, yet it remains - marijuana users tend to weight less.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4204468/
  • roselemonade
    roselemonade Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

Any theories why?

Since it's population studies and not controlled experiments, it could be a correlation (rather than causation.) Depending on what they control for in the analysis, it could be that pot users are more likely to be young, active, outdoorsy, affluent, etc. any and all of which would make them weigh less, on average, than the average of the broader population.