binge eating pen pal??

Options
2»

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    wow ..just wow

cant believe that people think its a good idea to stimulate 2 people who have a serious problem to support each other.

Really?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    wow ..just wow

cant believe that people think its a good idea to stimulate 2 people who have a serious problem to support each other.

Really?

Agree
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Thank you.I can see where the concern is in reinforcing behavior. If you've never had an ED maybe you do not understand but it's not easy to just go to a new therapist or join a group. Everyone recovers in different ways, I am not comfortable being with a group of people & discussing my issues. A support group can always backfire because there could be someone thinner than you or with seemingly worse problems and you feel you don't deserve to be there,not worthy enough for help etc. Therapy..I just hate it so much! I don't want help from someone who went to school,got their PhD in psychology and now it's their "job" to help me. It makes me feel like a insignificant person who will be filed away at the end of the day. It never helped in the past anyways:c I WANT help with this ED I've been going through since I was 8 by someone who actually understands me. I'm not looking for reinforcement,just someone to msg when I feel like crap and want to binge and can tell me it's not worth it because it will only make me feel worse. Someone who needs the same friendship because they're going through it too.
    I use to be severely underweight from restricting, I gained weight back from emotional eating after being treated badly at work. That's a horrible way to recover as it was not by choice, and now it's turned into this vicious cycle of binge is one things purge-restrict-binge and so on. Again, I am so greatful for the concern and also to cocoa1020 thank you for understanding... Trust me guys, there is nothing better than having a friend to talk to. Being on here is already helping

I hear you. I don't like therapy, either. I also hate the idea that someone HAS to listen to me. But you know what happens when I don't go? I get worse. And you know who calls me out on it? Someone who does NOT also have a mental health disorder.

No one is saying you are looking for reinforcement-I sincerely believe you have the best intentions. But when the bad times hit-you would be better served by a professional. Or, in the very least, someone without an ED.

Our minds are funny things-and it takes a lot of work to get better from any mental illness. We all do things we shouldn't do when our particular monkey is on our back. I know it's nice to have someone nice to relate to-but I also know how understanding and forgiveness can turn into enabling and triggering.

You're, of course, going to do what you want. But maybe just reflect on everything you said-and think about where it is coming from. Your ED is powerful, don't run away from those that want to help you.
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Instead of PMing people, why not join an eating disorder support group?

A list of support groups organized by state can be found here:

http://www.anad.org/eating-disorders-get-help/eating-disorders-support-groups/

There is also Eating Disorders Anonymous. They have both physical and online meetings.

http://www.eatingdisordersanonymous.org/
  • estherssweater
    estherssweater Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Does anyone commenting on here have an eating disorder? If not, maybe this is why you're showing concern in this way:c I do really understand and appreciate all that you're saying. BUT I can tell you only have an idea of what an eating disorder is like. God, I'm going to be like this forever. I'm sorry I wish I could eat normal like you guys instead of either restricting or binging, hurting myself. I don't know anymore.I'm just so so tired. Sorry and thank you.
  • estherssweater
    estherssweater Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think I've come a long way through. I use to frequent proana and promia sites with the intention of self destructive behavior. I saw on IG how so many girls and boys support each others recovery without triggering. If you attended an impatient or therapy session for ed you would see how brutal it is, very much about forcing weight gain and regulating eating when those are only symptoms... Ed is allll mental. It's hard to make an outsider understand and help you in a battle against your own mind,when they never had to do it themselves or not presently going through the same thing.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Instead of PMing people, why not join an eating disorder support group?

A list of support groups organized by state can be found here:

http://www.anad.org/eating-disorders-get-help/eating-disorders-support-groups/

There is also Eating Disorders Anonymous. They have both physical and online meetings.

http://www.eatingdisordersanonymous.org/

These are good links

You need to surround yourself with people who have normal reactions to food and normal sense of their physicality

Many of your posts is your illness talking

• NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Does anyone commenting on here have an eating disorder? If not, maybe this is why you're showing concern in this way:c I do really understand and appreciate all that you're saying. BUT I can tell you only have an idea of what an eating disorder is like. God, I'm going to be like this forever. I'm sorry I wish I could eat normal like you guys instead of either restricting or binging, hurting myself. I don't know anymore.I'm just so so tired. Sorry and thank you.

I used to suffer from anorexia; too scared to eat more than 700 calories a day, (and so would usually eat between 300 and 500) would regularly become faint, pass out, so weak I couldn't go to work or even get out of bed some days, lost my period, grew hair where there shouldn't be hair, brittle nails, had to wear gloves even in the summer because I was so cold. Used to frequent all the pro-ana sites too.

My best friend was also anorexic. We would get together, drink wine and talk about our illness. At the time we had this 'us against the world' attitude-no-one understood what we were going through, and it was this that bonded us even more strongly. We thought that we were supporting each other, as we understood what each other was going through.

Nope. In hindsight, and it took us until the point we decided to move in together that we realized we were actually just fuelling each other's illness. We weren't looking for support, we were looking for validation that the way we were living was Ok. And it wasn't. I recovered just over a year ago, and in that year I gained two stone, which was a bit too much, which is why I am here; to learn how to do this the healthy way.

Honestly, if you are serious about recovering and learning how to lose weight the healthy way, this is the best place to be. In my experience, I thought that talking to people with the same or similar disorders as me would help, but it just dragged me down further. Even now, I still have 'bad days' where I convince myself that the only way I will lose weight is to not eat anything, start starving myself. But it is the people here, the people who are happy, fit, the people who will advise, share recipes and push themselves to their physical limits that really inspire me to be a better person (a person who eats!).

Speaking from experience, my advice would be not to seek out a disordered penpal; go speak to someone before you waste too much of your life to this illness, and draw inspiration from those men and women here who lift heavy, run fast and eat healthy, because God Damn, most of them look a hell of a lot better (and happier!) than I did when I was all skin and bone and grossly out of proportion!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

I used to suffer from anorexia; too scared to eat more than 700 calories a day, (and so would usually eat between 300 and 500) would regularly become faint, pass out, so weak I couldn't go to work or even get out of bed some days, lost my period, grew hair where there shouldn't be hair, brittle nails, had to wear gloves even in the summer because I was so cold. Used to frequent all the pro-ana sites too.

My best friend was also anorexic. We would get together, drink wine and talk about our illness. At the time we had this 'us against the world' attitude-no-one understood what we were going through, and it was this that bonded us even more strongly. We thought that we were supporting each other, as we understood what each other was going through.

Nope. In hindsight, and it took us until the point we decided to move in together that we realized we were actually just fuelling each other's illness. We weren't looking for support, we were looking for validation that the way we were living was Ok. And it wasn't. I recovered just over a year ago, and in that year I gained two stone, which was a bit too much, which is why I am here; to learn how to do this the healthy way.

Honestly, if you are serious about recovering and learning how to lose weight the healthy way, this is the best place to be. In my experience, I thought that talking to people with the same or similar disorders as me would help, but it just dragged me down further. Even now, I still have 'bad days' where I convince myself that the only way I will lose weight is to not eat anything, start starving myself. But it is the people here, the people who are happy, fit, the people who will advise, share recipes and push themselves to their physical limits that really inspire me to be a better person (a person who eats!).

Speaking from experience, my advice would be not to seek out a disordered penpal; go speak to someone before you waste too much of your life to this illness, and draw inspiration from those men and women here who lift heavy, run fast and eat healthy, because God Damn, most of them look a hell of a lot better (and happier!) than I did when I was all skin and bone and grossly out of proportion!

Great post. Thank you for sharing.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

Applause!!!
  • yaliiii_x
    yaliiii_x Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hi me plz ?(:
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    yaliiii_x wrote: »
    hi me plz ?(:

This thread is over a year old. :)