Urgh, I'm so impatient!

Options
I have been doing this 3 weeks now, and have lost 3 lbs which I know is absolutely fine. However, I can't shut up the little voice in my head saying "OMG this will take me another 6 months or so - of continuing to lose that consistently" (which I know I won't)

How do you keep yourself focussed on one step at a time, and not get distracted by the scary large number left? I haven't needed to shift this much since my last baby 4.5 years ago so I'm feeling quite :| about how far I have to go (about 28 lbs)

Replies

• Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking about it as a diet, and more of a lifestyle change. Try to think of losing weight and becoming healthy as a marathon, not a sprint.

You are looking for instant gratification, and unfortunately, your weight gain wasn't over a course of a few weeks. You have to just see the forest through the trees. If you think about giving up, think about the example you're setting for your children. "If you don't get what you want right now, give up. It's ok to not strive for the best". I don't know about you, but I would never want my son to live by that. And I wouldn't want you either.

In short, *kitten* your scale. One day, in the future, that silly thing on the floor will hold no power over you. Don't let it distract you now.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way you didn't gain it overnight, you won't lose it overnight either.
  • karlis87
    karlis87 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I know it's frustrating. Losing the baby weight is annoying. I try to remind my self that if I hadn't lost it all the first time around I would have 60 to lose instead of 25 so it really was worth it to lose it. And this time I can keep it off. And when I carry my baby around I think about how much easier it will be to do things if I lose his weight off my body because lugging him around is heavy.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I know how frustrating it can be! Luckily I fond that if you stick with it you just get used to it being a slow process and start appreciating every pound that comes off.

I like to think of it as even if I 'only' lost half a pound a week, it would still be about 26lbs over the course of a year. And when I think about how quickly a year seems to fly by the older I get....it's a pretty encouraging thought :)
  • apennock
    apennock Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    And here's the kicker, if you are just planning on making these changes until the weight comes off, then going back to eating mindlessly, chances are you'll be back in a few years back where you started. Think about finding forever lifestyle changes and try not to obsess over each pound. Best of luck!
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    it goes by fast just keep going
  • smg92907
    smg92907 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Maybe set mini goals? So the total amount isn't overwhelming or seem like it'll take so long... That seems to help me :)
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Horrorfox wrote: »
    Stop thinking about it as a diet, and more of a lifestyle change. Try to think of losing weight and becoming healthy as a marathon, not a sprint.

You are looking for instant gratification, and unfortunately, your weight gain wasn't over a course of a few weeks. You have to just see the forest through the trees. If you think about giving up, think about the example you're setting for your children. "If you don't get what you want right now, give up. It's ok to not strive for the best". I don't know about you, but I would never want my son to live by that. And I wouldn't want you either.

In short, *kitten* your scale. One day, in the future, that silly thing on the floor will hold no power over you. Don't let it distract you now.

Spot on.

Life is a marathon. A person doesn't get out of shape overnight and he or she won't get in shape overnight.
  • Kk2Aa
    Kk2Aa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I felt like this at first but I just let the changes become habits and I'm used to them now! If I don't do my walking for example each day I miss it! I'm 4 months in and 35lbs down and so happy! Keep at it just try to relax and let the changes happen don't stress yourself out over the scales. There are as many changes to your mental outlook on weightloss/being healthy as there is for the actual changes in your appearance!

Feel free to add me if you like!

Kirsty
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options

^This^

You need to shift your thinking to the long-term and your focus on the short-term

In the long-term 6 months (heck, a year or two) is nothing.

And while it may seem contradictory, creating short-term goals (I tend to prefer fitness/performance related goals vs. weight loss goals) will keep you from noticing the glacial movement of the number on the scale *and* give you some sweet NSVs to help remind you that you're making progress.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    shoppie wrote: »
    I have been doing this 3 weeks now, and have lost 3 lbs which I know is absolutely fine. However, I can't shut up the little voice in my head saying "OMG this will take me another 6 months or so - of continuing to lose that consistently" (which I know I won't)

How do you keep yourself focussed on one step at a time, and not get distracted by the scary large number left? I haven't needed to shift this much since my last baby 4.5 years ago so I'm feeling quite :| about how far I have to go (about 28 lbs)

six months? your voice is very optimistic!!!
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options

This is good advice. I've also changed my thinking from the BIG number to smaller goals. I'm focusing on each 10 pounds, and when I get there, I give myself a reward (first 10, facial, second 10, a makeup palette I've been coveting). Maybe try focusing on each five pounds, and then think of something you can do to reward yourself!
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I think most everyone above is spot on about it being a marathon and not a sprint. Time will continue to go on whether or not you are living a healthy lifestyle. So, why not just stick to a healthy lifestyle and reap the rewards for the rest of your life? Congrats on losing the 3 pounds! That is a great accomplishment.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for a year and a half now. I was over 400lbs. My mother (rest her soul) had been battling diabetes for most of her life. I wanted kids of my own. I knew none of that was going to happen, healthily, if I remained where I was. Don't consider it a diet. Consider it a lifestyle change. It isn't "oh, I need to get this done in THIS AMOUNT OF TIME OR OMG I FAIL" ... because you will fail. Every single time. You constantly need to evolve in your progress, so focus on what you need to do there, and then realize you're doing this for you. To be happier and healthier. There is no time limit on achieving that.
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Yep, mini goals. 5lbs in a month or 5 weeks or whatever. Also, take 2 mason jars put a marble for each pound you want to lose in one jar & put a marble for each pound you've lost in the other. It's kind of fun looking forward to moving the marble over each week & you get a great visual of how many you've lost. And even though my "to lose" jar is way more full than my "lost" jar, it is filling up steadily & that is very satisfying!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    That time is going to go by whether you're dieting or not. So... you could keep it up and lose the weight over time, OR you could just quit and in a year you'll continue to be overweight or maybe even be heavier.

I've been doing this since 2011. It's a daily thing and I've lost 50+ pounds. So I'm four years older but I'm also in way better shape and much smaller.

Anyway, it's entirely up to you.