attractiveness

Options
happytamara
happytamara Posts: 6 Member
hi, I was wondering despite the popularity of stick thin models etc, what do men and women really look for in body shape of their partner? Comment below your preferences, and I personally prefer healthy with slight muscular definition:)

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Over the course of my life I have found women of various different body shapes attractive - I wouldn't say I have a "type" really and my attraction depended on other factors as well.

I would say that extremes of body shape don't tend to do much for me however...
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I don't "look" for anything physical really. I look for intelligence and personality. That's not to say I don't appreciate a good body - I do - but I married my husband knowing his body was going to change over the course of our lives together, as mine will.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,933 Member
    Options
    I prefer tall men built like football players but intelligence and personality is extremely important as well.

I sent my fiance this image that I'd seen here on the MFP forums, asked him what body fat he liked, and he said 25-35 % as shown here:

body-fat-percentage-women.jpg
  • Charliecatesq
    Charliecatesq Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I prefer tall men built like football players but intelligence and personality is extremely important as well.

I sent my fiance this image that I'd seen here on the MFP forums, asked him what body fat he liked, and he said 25-35 % as shown here:

body-fat-percentage-women.jpg

Oooh id like to go 45% to 30% according to that, nice
  • Raykels
    Raykels Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I find individual characteristics attractive.

But as a general rule, nice build, not too built - no neck is not attractive, and taller than me :-)
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Looks are so far below other qualities for me. But if it's Build-A-Bloke workshop, I'll take tall, chocolate eyes, washboard abs, wavy hair, and a gun show please.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Big bellies on men are a real turn-off for me. Other than that I pay more attention to character, intelligence, humor and how he treats me than whether he has a particular type of build.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've never been attracted to a body type (I'm female). Kind eyes and a nice smile are what initially most attracts me. Similarities in lifestyle, humor, faith along with how they treat their family, animals and strangers is what keeps me attracted.

I suppose subconsciously this may lead to some body types that indicated the person lived a very different lifestyle from me being less attractive.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I like a guy with some meat on his bones. When me and the BF met he was super hot-like 6-pack, etc. Life got crazy and he gained some weight. I actually prefer the way he looks now with some softness to he belly and a bigger chest. He doesn't believe me, though.

For a woman-I love the strong look. Crossfit chicks, the lower end of the body fat scale, "strong woman". I just think it's so attractive.
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I like guys with flat stomachs, not really any abs, nice arms but not too muscular.

(I'm a straight girl) but I like girls with booties, flat stomach, and lean thighs. I guess that's what I want to look like.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Smart, good and funny are most important.

I don't care about or even want ripped abs. A beer belly is fine by me.

It's more about what kind of person he is. Is he good, kind, etc. That's what matters, not his abdomen.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Can we get that chart but for men?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you're looking for a consensus, you won't find one.

I prefer slightly skinny to slightly chubby, so my ideal male body type is more of the swimmer/runner type than the balloon-animal muscle bodybuilder. My husband has that V-shaped torso with broad shoulders and a narrow waist and usually maintains 10-12% body fat, which I think looks perfect on him. He's 6'0" and between 150-160 pounds (depending on where he is on his bulk/cut), so I think you can tell that I like a slim build.

He likes soft, traditionally hourglass shapes and doesn't really like muscular definition on a woman. At 5'4" and 115-120 pounds I am a little slimmer than he prefers, as he likes me better around 130 pounds and more like 25% body fat than the 20%-ish I usually have. But I don't like the way I look at that size, so he has to live with me with a few more bones than his ideal.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »

irDibP7.jpg
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Attractiveness is about a lot of things...only a few of which have anything to do with the body.

I am open to lots of different body types, though I tend to date within one particular ethnicity for cultural reasons. I think that a lot of women have height requirements of some sort. I don't mind shorter men, as long as they aren't SO short that we can't dance together. :)

I don't think that men look for one particular thing. I am very tall, very curvy and still quite overweight...definitely not anything close to the societal ideal...but I still don't have any trouble finding guys who are interested in me.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    That 15% for a guy - looks great!
  • happytamara
    happytamara Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

irDibP7.jpg

I like between 10% and 15% personally
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love looking at guys with figures in the 6-12% range. My boyfriend is aiming for 10-15%, but I met him and we started dating before either of us got to lifting. His shoulders have doubled and it's freakin' sexy. He's well on his way, but I'm in love with the guy, not just the body.

As for women, I like the 10-22% range, and it's what I'm aiming for myself. I have an unfortunate fat-loss pattern, though. My wrists and hands look hungry skeleton, but I have a marshmallow for a stomach. Fortunately, that means I'll just have mad vascularity when I finally get visible abs. XD

...Or I'm hoping, at least...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

irDibP7.jpg

I'll go 15 and up. Those first two are just...unnatural. Not for me.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    I like a guy with some meat on his bones. When me and the BF met he was super hot-like 6-pack, etc. Life got crazy and he gained some weight. I actually prefer the way he looks now with some softness to he belly and a bigger chest. He doesn't believe me, though.

Agreed. I like fairly muscular but not ripped. Little bit of softness on a broad frame is great.

Realistically though I've been attracted to guys who are all very physically different. Only common denominator is dark hair and nice teeth. It's a sense of humour, a relaxed attitude, and intelligence that does it for me.