Flexible Dieting (IIFYM)

Options

Replies

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    It seems every diet is IIFYM.

You punch in your macros and then follow it

Not sure why this is a controversial topic.

Your diet
    Your business
    If it works---Yay You!
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm a "flexible dieter." I do IIFYM with a weekly deficit, and aside from all the weighing/measuring and logging of food/drinks, I wouldn't even know I was "on a diet." ;)
  • 311snowwhite
    311snowwhite Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Considering many people have different macro goals, I think a lot of people do IIFYM, including people who low carb.

That really isn't the case. People who do low carb, paleo, etc restrict certain food types and groups whereas people who follow IIFYM or flexible dieting DO NOT.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    It seems every diet is IIFYM.

You punch in your macros and then follow it

Not sure why this is a controversial topic.

Your diet
    Your business
    If it works---Yay You!

Disagree. I would argue.....(no facts to base this on) that a majority of MFP'ers follow the CALORIE counter more closely than adhearing strictly to MACRO breakdown.
  • jmule24
    Options
    Considering many people have different macro goals, I think a lot of people do IIFYM, including people who low carb.

That really isn't the case. People who do low carb, paleo, etc restrict certain food types and groups whereas people who follow IIFYM or flexible dieting DO NOT.

I agree with you, sir.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I take a modified approach. I try to get most of my calories from "clean" food, chicken, sweet potatoes, quinoa, etc., but have no qualms about a bowl of ice cream or some doritos if they fit my macros.
  • 311snowwhite
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    its a big NO, should be eating to your macronutrients :)

umm IIFYM is eating to your macros = If it fits your macros...

protein is about .65 to .85 grams per pound of body weight; fats are .45 grams per pound of body weight; and you fill in the rest with carbs.

those numbers would be good for someone who doesn't lift. if you lift and follow IIFYM your protein should be at least 1g per pound of lean body weight (or all your weight if you don't know your lean body mass).
  • 311snowwhite
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    I'm an IIFYM a.k.a. "Flexible Dieting" with social media and forums like this the meaning of IIFYM has lost it's true identity.

1. Focus on nutrient dense foods (aka MICROS) (Fruits, Veggies, Lean proteins)
    2. Fill in the remainder with what you prefer to hit your MACROs for the remainder of the day.
    3. Every one's calorie needs and MACRO breakdown will be and should be different.

It's really that simple but; as with anything, people like to over complicate things, and also put their own spin on how to follow it.

I LOVE THIS!! So true so true. Like my macros vary very differently from my friend who is the same hight and weight. It took me forever to explain to her that the reason I can eat MORE is because I have a much higher muscle percentage and higher metabolic rate because I am in the gym six days a week.
  • 311snowwhite
    Options

I agree with you, sir.

I'm not a sir :neutral:
  • jmule24
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    I take a modified approach. I try to get most of my calories from "clean" food, chicken, sweet potatoes, quinoa, etc., but have no qualms about a bowl of ice cream or some doritos if they fit my macros.

See my *post* how is yours a "modified" approach? I just choose NOT to label food anything other than what it is..... FOOD.
  • jmule24
    Options

I agree with you, sir.

I'm not a sir :neutral:

My apologies, I use "sir" too often without even looking at someone's profile picture and/or name.

• edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    edwardetr wrote: »
    Be mindful of your micros. Skinny does not equal healthy. If you regularly eat junk but small enough portions to give you a calorie deficit, you are not likely getting nutrients you need.

wut?

I eat a serving of ice cream every day and I have no problem hitting my micros and macros.

Junk food tends to be macro (calorie) rich and micro poor. If you fill up your macros with junk you are likely to be deficient in some micro nutrient. I'm not talking about one serving of ice cream. I'm talking about IIFYM being used as an excuse to eat ONLY junk. Congratulations on your success.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/why-what-you-think-about-flexible-dieting-iifym-is-wrong

^As the above article points out, people eating clean or only eating x, y, or z follow iifym. The concept may come from people asking "can I eat x" and the response was sure, if it fits your macros. Just because you think x, y, or z aren't tasty doesn't mean the person is eating outside of the principles of iifym. At some point they may realize they can incorporate other foods into their goals and still hit those same macros, but that's the joy of flexible dieting. People can eat how they want to.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

See my *post* how is yours a "modified" approach? I just choose NOT to label food anything other than what it is..... FOOD.

Well, my understanding is that IIFYM means that you could eat skittles, bacon and fat free greek yogurt all day as long as it fits your macros. Am I wrong?
  • 311snowwhite
    Options

That's not a modified approach. That's exactly what IIFYM or flexible dieting is.

Like today I will have eaten eggs, tons of veggies, quinoa, greek yogurt but will have a piece of skinny peanut butter pie with an oreo crust :smiley:
  • 311snowwhite
    Options
    Be mindful of your micros. Skinny does not equal healthy. If you regularly eat junk but small enough portions to give you a calorie deficit, you are not likely getting nutrients you need.

wut?

I eat a serving of ice cream every day and I have no problem hitting my micros and macros.

Junk food tends to be macro (calorie) rich and micro poor. If you fill up your macros with junk you are likely to be deficient in some micro nutrient. I'm not talking about one serving of ice cream. I'm talking about IIFYM being used as an excuse to eat ONLY junk. Congratulations on your success.

He doesn't mean he is meeting his micro goals from his ice cream. He means he is still able to FIT in ice cream while still meeting his micros with other foods.
  • jmule24
    Options

http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/why-what-you-think-about-flexible-dieting-iifym-is-wrong

^As the above article points out, people eating clean or only eating x, y, or z follow iifym. The concept may come from people asking "can I eat x" and the response was sure, if it fits your macros. Just because you think x, y, or z aren't tasty doesn't mean the person is eating outside of the principles of iifym. At some point they may realize they can incorporate other foods into their goals and still hit those same macros, but that's the joy of flexible dieting. People can eat how they want to.

Yes, if those folks in said groups are tracking marcros and not just calories. Again, I find people still get the two often confused. CICO is a by product of IIFYM. Just following CICO will yield anyone successful results, it's my opinion that when you follow a specific macro breakdown to your goals, then you can acheive "better" results. (More aesthetic, better performance, more strength, etc......)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

wut?

If your diet is not nutrient dense then that is not IIFYM...

IIFYM is not eating ice cream and pop tarts all day.

for the record, there is no junk food, just junk diets.
  • jmule24
    Options

Well, my understanding is that IIFYM means that you could eat skittles, bacon and fat free greek yogurt all day as long as it fits your macros. Am I wrong?

That part is "false" because you wouldn't be able to hit your macro targets just eating those three alone all day. Again, refer back to my original post about the original core of IIFYM is.
  • jmule24
    edited July 2015
    Options

wut?

If your diet is not nutrient dense then that is not IIFYM...

IIFYM is not eating ice cream and pop tarts all day.

for the record, there is no junk food, just junk diets.

I agree!
This discussion has been closed.