Any people lost weight and have kept it off for 3 years or more?

Options
2»

Replies

• sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 50 lbs 10 years ago and lost it again after having 2 kids. The important things for me are staying active and continually challenging your body most days, weighing every day, eating more protein and fiber to feel full, and having treats sometimes just not ALL the time. Once these became habits and part of my life, it's really not hard to keep the weight off.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't log and I've maintained for over two years now...basically, I live a healthful lifestyle. I'm not calorie obsessed in the least (I was when I was logging) but rather, I adhere to eating pretty healthfully 90% of the time...I'm real big on nutrition. I also exercise regularly, 4-5 days per week. I monitor my weight and continue to weigh-in regularly...if I notice an upward trend (not just some fluctuation gain) then I take a look at what I'm doing and make adjustments as necessary.

For me, maintaining a healthy weight is a bi-product of living a healthy lifestyle...it's all about good livin'. Some people crave cookies and cake...I tend to crave things like nectarines and cucumber salad...
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    It's been about 2.5 years. I went from 200 pounds to 153. When I got that slim I decided I wanted to start lifting weights and build some muscle so I've slowly gained up to about 175 pounds while keeping my body fat % under 15.
    Once you've established healthy eating habits you don't really get cravings for garbage foods and you don't need to keep such a careful watch over your calories. I don't think I've tracked my calories for longer than a week at any point in the last year.

Awesome! I want to do this.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I have, several times. I'm sure I will this time too. But, I'll probably need to lose again in a few years. At this stage of life I've stopped even kidding myself that I'll keep it off forever. I gain a few, I lose a few. It was always thus.

But, it's kept me healthy for over half a century. :)
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I went from 109kg to around 72kg and have been maintaining for about four years now. I'm now around 69, planning to go down to around 65kg. It's all about finding what works for you—you can have the most perfect diet and fitness plan but if you hate living like that, it's not gonna work long-term. I love food and still eat everything I ate when I was obese, just in smaller amounts and with a different balance (pasta sauces, for example, now contain more veggies and less cheese most of the time). I also discovered forms of exercise I enjoy, which makes it easy to stick to that, too. Also, like others have said, knowledge is power.
  • MrsSchimmy
    MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    When I got that slim I decided I wanted to start lifting weights and build some muscle so I've slowly gained up to about 175 pounds while keeping my body fat % under 15.
    Once you've established healthy eating habits you don't really get cravings for garbage foods and you don't need to keep such a careful watch over your calories. I don't think I've tracked my calories for longer than a week at any point in the last year.

^Yup! I did the same thing. I'm about 15 lbs heavier but still 2-3 dress sizes smaller.

Make lifestyle changes. Don't go for a quick fix for the instant satisfaction. It will backfire every time. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow... but it will someday. I realized I have this ONE body and if I'm going to reach my goal of living to be a healthy and active 111 years old, I've got to treat it well!

Exercise is still a very big part of my routine, watching calories and being mindful of my macros but not obsessing about hitting them exactly every day. I eat a lot of veggies and protein and I eat whatever I want, in moderation.

That means, if I want a donut I work it into my calorie allowance. Done. And I drink AT LEAST a gallon of water every day. :smiley:
  • drzoltar
    drzoltar Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm at 2.5 years that I've kept off 60 lbs. I'd like to lose 10 more if I can. I've gained 5 lbs from my lowest set weight, but that's a combo of increasing my muscle mass and at times not eating right. I'm 43 and was overweight almost all my life. My heaviest was 265 lbs when I was 30 years old.

Here's what worked for me:

-Weighing myself at least every other day.
    -Using MFP to log everything I eat.
    -Having high protein snacks (beef jerky, Think Thin bars)
    -Having a pre-planned breakfast and lunch. Lunch is always a bagged salad kit from the grocery store.
    -Every weekday I walk as much as I can. Usually at least 6 miles a day.
    -Converting my work desk to a standing desk.
    -Donating all my clothes that were too big for me (this made a psychological change that my new size is now normal).
    -Changing my eating habits permanently. Except for very rare occasions I don't eat chips or cookies or crackers. Basically if it's "shelf stable" I don't eat it. I also make sure I eat at least 4 servings of fruit and vegetables a day.
    -When I eat at a restaurant I choose things from the menu in this order: Salad --> Fish --> Chicken --> Meat --> Pasta. Even if you don't know the calorie count, you're fairly safe ordering a salad or fish to stay on track.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Nearly 60lbs for nearly 20 years (if you don't count the 9+9=18 months pregnant)

Here are various strategies I've used:
    -cutting out the unnecessary "food" (ex. soda, ranch dressing, excessive butter, etc.), weighing myself fairly regularly, increasing water intake, cutting artificial sweeteners completely, increasing the amount of "real" food consumed (meat, vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds), weighing/logging food, taking responsibility for my behavior (food-related and exercise-related), exercising more, and LIFTING (by far the best strategy yet)
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Me, kept it off for a bit more than 20 years
    Became injured and gained weight and now almost back were i was before and start maintaining again.

the way i kept it off? Control, not over eating and i was very active. Ate the same amount of calories as i burned.

Sorry to hear that you were injured. Congrats on getting back to maintenance, though.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60lbs and kept it off. The steps I take are the same ones I took to lose weight:

1. Count calories. I still track my calories, though with more leeway.
    2. Continue being active. I exercise most days.
    3. New goals. I'm always looking to improve my fitness. Helps me from feeling "bored" by exercise.
    3. Obsession: there's no need to be obsessed. When making meal choices, I think more about whether I've had enough vegetables, protein, etc, in my day. I stay mindful of portions. I also pay attention to hunger and fullness cues.
    4. Doctor check-ups are always a good motivator. I went from various issues (high cholesterol, etc) to being in very good health. It's a reminder of why I started the journey in the first place.
    5. Weight loss was always about a lifestyle change. To maintain, I resist going back to the old habits that caused my gain.
  • KittsJ
    KittsJ Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    FitBit to maintain an average of at least 10K steps per day
    Weigh and log everything I eat in MyFitnessPal
    Try to keep wasted calories to a minimum
    Indulge in ice cream, fast food or restaurant meals rarely....and as a special treat
    Weigh myself daily

I think we're twins.

Triplets!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I lost 10 pounds in my twenties and never regained it. I lost another 15 in my thirties, and I've kept it off for 10+ years. I improved my eating habits over time, by addressing my emotional eating, practicing self control (only eating at meals, or when I really feel hungry), and by eating food that I like, and skipping all the stuff I don't really like anyway.

I take pictures of myself, and I really hate it if I put on 5 pounds, so, if I do, I lose it again.