Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    Interestingly, population studies have shown marijuana users tend to have lower weight than non-users.

Any theories why?
    To date, only conjecture, no real tested hypotheses that explain the phenomena. Short term appetite increases (the munchies) are clinically true which is why it seems paradoxical, yet it remains - marijuana users tend to weight less.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4204468/

That is interesting. Also, I always thought "the munchies" was psychological.
    Some people who are not drug users try smoking pot to increase their appetite and report that it helped some. Not the amount the teenage druggies would suggest, but some. Others try it and say it didn't increase their appetite.

I think that, like many things, it depends on the person.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

When it comes to the munchies, not much I can recommend....air popped popcorn??

I second air-popped popcorn and sugar free jelly (jello) :)

I third.

I have always wanted to try this meathod of making popcorn, but I never have.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byqaZhMTwAs
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    kf_martin wrote: »
    If you eat before you smoke you won't have the munchies as bad, and when you do have the munchies choose healthy snacks like fruits and veggies and of course counter act some of it with working out at least a little everyday

Yeah second with that is not how it works.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    ghosthost6 wrote: »
    Interestingly, population studies have shown marijuana users tend to have lower weight than non-users.

Any theories why?
    To date, only conjecture, no real tested hypotheses that explain the phenomena. Short term appetite increases (the munchies) are clinically true which is why it seems paradoxical, yet it remains - marijuana users tend to weight less.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4204468/

That is interesting. Also, I always thought "the munchies" was psychological.
    It tends to be a very real effect - it is one of the legitimate reasons for medical marijuana (the other being pain relief). One of the people acting as witness for the CA medical marijuana law was a woman with brain cancer who could only stand to eat while using THC.

I am licensed and use it for back pain. A side effect is getting hungry. I diet but when I use medical marijuana, I immediately start to crave food which creates stress on my eating since I don't always have fruit or veggies. I understand this is also psychological. So, I'd like to know tips, both mental and physical. Are there any supplemental vitamins or teas that can fight THC cravings?

So this side effect happens every time you blaze?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    TripZeros wrote: »
    Change your strain. Certain strains will give you the munchies, just like certain strains will make you tired. It's the difference between Indica and Sativa. Talk to your pharma (I'm assuming you're a pharmie) and have them suggest a different breed that doesn't have the undesired effects.

*ahem* Not that I'd know anything about pot.

^ This, and exactly this.
    Blue Dream is a great strain to try. It's a sativa-dominant strain, and is even great for before working out (no couch lock).
    Where I live (Oregon) recreational is now legal. However, my family grows medical marijuana for dispensaries. Try out some different strains (I suggest sativa-dominant).

Make me wonder when I get blue dream what is it really?
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Maybe not an option for you, I don't know, but can you remove yourself from food when you smoke? Like a stroll outside or something?
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Pot can make a person content with whatever they are doing. If you start smoking while on the couch watching tv with a bag of cheeto's on your coffee table, you'll likely feel content staying there on the couch, watching tv and eating cheetos.

Likewise, if you are cleaning house, smoking some pot can make you feel content with cleaning your house.

I kind of suspect that a lot of people get the munchies because they expect that effect given how pot use is portrayed (and some effects exaggerated for comical effect) in popular media.

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    my solution is to smoke another bowl.

curious to know what ails you lol.

My understanding is, you go to a clinic, and someone who presumably is an MD charges you 100 bucks for a 6 months prescription (aka license) and 200 for a year.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    this is off topic but

I've used it for years. I'm a big proponent of making it perfectly legal, but I really don't see any legitimate medical use for it, other then to increase appetite in cancer patients... or any other group that has difficulty consuming adequate nutrition due to some medical reason.
  • howndogfossr
    howndogfossr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Since it's supposed to be prescription pot, ask your doctor!
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    could also plan your meals around your... dosing schedule, eating either before or after, which ever suits you more.
  • No_Finish_Line
    edited July 2015
    Options
    did you hear about the day care employees that just went behind a curtain while on the job to medicate themselves with their prescription?

they had to make a separate law to make that illegal.

http://www.oregonlive.com/kiddo/index.ssf/2015/01/state_bans_child_care_provider.html

symptoms of the half-assery surrounding state medical marijuana laws.... which are all still illegal according to the federal government.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 40 lbs with frequent use. I don't have a prescription, but my doctors know I smoke it. I use it as a tool for meditation and yoga. Munchies aren't really a problem, and I haven't binged since April. I lost the weight by being more mindful about how I'm taking care of myself, weighing and measuring my food (even when I'm high), and being more active.

I tend to prefer heavy indica strains because of my racing thoughts, but a sativa may be more your speed if you don't have it in you to get up and go yet. Gathering some knowledge like this and taking to your doctor/clinic might give you a push in the right direction for a better experience, but you still need to make the choice to maybe feel a little hungry when you know you don't have the calories for endless snacking.
  • Efemral
    Efemral Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Any theories why?

Since it's population studies and not controlled experiments, it could be a correlation (rather than causation.) Depending on what they control for in the analysis, it could be that pot users are more likely to be young, active, outdoorsy, affluent, etc. any and all of which would make them weigh less, on average, than the average of the broader population.

That's an excellent answer. And when you consider that marijuana is used for increasing the appetites of people undergoing chemotherapy, to prevent malnutrition, that also points to correlation in the skinny pot smoker effect.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 65 lbs doing no exercise and regularly toking. Veggies and hummus will get you through your munchies... or veggies and sriracha, or veggies and greek yogurt with garlic powder, cumin, paprika, curry powder, black pepper mixed in. Keep no calorie dense food at home if you're having trouble avoiding them when you're medicated
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Also, walking around at a brisk pace can be enough of a calorie burn to afford a calorie dense treat. I started doing more brisk walking while medicated. A 3.5 mile walk to a part of town that had a 400 calorie treat i wanted was something i used to need to medicate to endure. Somewhere along the line, i really began to love the feeling of my body moving (walking) more than sitting home while medicated. Put on some headphones and get out there to earn your calorie dense treats
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I used to smoke daily up until 10mths ago. I used it for medicinal reasons due to cancer. When I smoked it I couldn't put any weight on no matter how much I ate, infact it made me loose weight at times. When I stopped smoking it the weight piled on and I smoked all types of strains! I think everyone is different with weight loss/gain.
    Good luck hope you find the answer, or maybe speak to your Doctor about alternative therapies for your pain. :smile:
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Wait, the OP stated he is smoking it medicinally; which, unless they are 'self-medicating' (naughty, naughty), means that they are being advised by a medical professional and this is being prescribed as a treatment. All you people telling OP to 'just quit taking drugs' need to think about that....would you tell someone to stop taking any other prescribed medication just because you don't agree with it personally?

When it comes to the munchies, not much I can recommend....air popped popcorn??

What's next? People will be saying we should follow the diet advice of Dr. Oz, because he's a doctor?

I knew someone...his cancer was too far advanced for any treatment other than maybe to prolong his life for a few months...he chose not to for go that and let life take its natural course. At times the pain became unbearable.

I could always tell when he had to give in and take medication for the pain. If he took morphine...I would get the garbled up email from him that I couldn't make any sense from...then I wouldn't hear from him for a few days. However...If he used the medical marijuana his emails would be a little strange to say the least but at least I could figure out what they said.

I suppose he could have spent the last few months...in a bed...totally out of it due to the morphine...not sure that would have been living. Or...he could get by as long as possible on the marijuana and have some quality of life during those last few months.

The last week of his life...the marijuana stopped working and he refuse to spend what little time he had left in a morphine induced state.

Sometimes people judge others...I think it is an ugly thing.

• aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Sugar free 15 calorie ice pops and 100 calorie bags of microwave popcorn. I think you'll be less likely to overdo the popcorn when you have to keep making individual bags.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna suggest sour skittle grapes.

You get some grapes, rinse them, add a sugar free jello packet to coat evenly, freeze. Low calorie, tasty and tangy, cheap.

Also, popcorn. Also, i'd also suggest switching the type of weed you're smoking, possibly to a sativa.