Diet Coke Addiction: HELP!!

Options
Hey guys,

So in spite of knowing diet coke is bad for me I can't seem to quit.

1) I switched from regular coke YEARS ago on my first MFP attempt as a way to get the taste without the calories.

2) It's habit first thing in the morning, like ones morning coffee.

3) If I don't have one upon waking I get a MASSIVE headache late morning :( Which I know is a sign of addiction.

Does ANYONE have any suggestions to help cope with this? I know it's bad for my body, but as soon as the headaches hit I go right back. Please help :(

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Does diet coke have caffeine in it? I'm assuming it does. Then it's probably caffeine more than the taste of it. You can either quit cold turkey or try weaning yourself off of it by having less each day. Or try switching to tea which (depending on the tea) will have less caffeine.

But anyway, diet coke isn't TERRIBLE for you. However, having a chemical or caffeine dependency isn't that great for you. Good luck!
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    If you're having massive headaches, you might want to look into that with a doctor.

Typically people will get some symptoms (including headaches) when cutting out something like caffeine (regardless of source), but not simply from a few hours abstinence.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    You might try looking for a drug treatment center in your area and seeing whether they can help you with your issue.
  • DeannaSofia886
    DeannaSofia886 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue - I am currently transitioning my diet coke to unsweet tea and then water. I have a diet coke in the morning - then water until lunch - lunch I have unsweet tea - water until dinner - and 1/2 a diet coke and wter with lemon for dinner - hope this helps.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are experiencing caffeine withdrawal, not diet coke addiction. Might want to decide your goal...is it to reduce caffiene intake or coke intake or both? Neither are that bad for you, so I don't see that you need to quit either for health reasons. However if you are wanting to reduce costs, increase water consumption, or just not be dependent on a drug (caffiene) to function, or the Splenda makes you crave sweets as some people report, those are valid reasons. If your goal is about replacing coke and not so much reducing caffiene, then start slowly switching out a coke with another caffeinated drink you like such as coffee, tea, or water with a squirt of caffeinated water flavoring like Mio.

If you want to drop caffiene consumption, then wean off slowly (replacing with decaf coke or water) and just suck it up until the withdrawal symptoms pass, which they should. If they don't, see a doctor. You might want to reflect on whether there is an underlying cause for your heavy consumption of caffiene that you also need to address. Some people I know drink tons of the stuff as a substitute for getting a proper night sleep, which is not healthy in the long term. They need to address their sleep deprivation along with the caffiene levels. Others over schedule their life to the point that they have to wired all the time to survive it...also not a recipe for long term health. If none of this applies to you and you just happen to like a lot of diet coke, then disregard. But if you are using the caffiene as a way to function, then cutting it out without addressing the reason you needed it in the first place will likely set you up for reverting quickly back to old habits.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    How many more are you drinking a day? If it's just the one in the morning, and you enjoy it, I don't see any reason why you'd HAVE to cut it out. If you just want to, then go for it, but just know that it's not causing you any harm. :smile:
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I grew up on Diet Coke. When I say I grew up on it, I would drink a whole case (24pack) in 2 days. Then I would crack into another one, and I did it for years. I now drink it so sparingly it isn't even a single can's worth every month. Yeah, you will have withdrawal, but once you commit yourself to NOT having it (replace it with water and coffee -- I drink mine black now) the habit isn't hard to break and keep away from. Even when I do have another pop I don't see myself wanting dozens of others. You'll notice how crap it makes your stomach feel pretty quick.

It's mind over matter... In my case I get caffeine from coffee and that's limited to a mug a day. No withdrawal, but no obsessive need for highly acidic and expensive drinks, either. Was it cold turkey from pop? Yes. It's doable. You got this.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

1) I switched from regular coke YEARS ago on my first MFP attempt as a way to get the taste without the calories.

3) If I don't have one upon waking I get a MASSIVE headache late morning :( Which I know is a sign of addiction.

Does ANYONE have any suggestions to help cope with this? I know it's bad for my body, but as soon as the headaches hit I go right back. Please help :(

It's possibly the caffeine giving you the headache. I get headaches if I don't have my coffee by 9am.

How much diet soda are you drinking a day?
  • moog54
    moog54 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Does diet coke have caffeine in it? I'm assuming it does. Then it's probably caffeine more than the taste of it. You can either quit cold turkey or try weaning yourself off of it by having less each day. Or try switching to tea which (depending on the tea) will have less caffeine.

But anyway, diet coke isn't TERRIBLE for you. However, having a chemical or caffeine dependency isn't that great for you. Good luck!

I went through a caffeine addiction, I was making my black coffee with 2 to 3 spoons of coffee to a mug, thats like drinking 4 expressos in 1 sitting, and id have this 3 times a day. I became jittery, lost my job, my marriage fell apart, i was aggressive, on edge, couldnt sleep, almost suicidal. Then I gave up coffee, went 'cold turkey' withdrawals, same as heavy drugs. Now I only have the odd normal strength coffee now and then. So you see coffee can be very addictive, more so than drugs as it is so easy to get.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

Headaches are going to come from caffeine withdrawal. If you truly want to stop diet coke in particular, you can get a different form of caffeine. You'd then still need to cut out caffeine at some point though.

What in particular do you feel diet coke is doing bad to your body? It isn't great for teeth, but otherwise, I'm not aware of anything wrong with drinking it.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    You can get caffeine-free Diet Coke. I'd recommend mixing that with regular Diet Coke in a cup, just reduce the amount of caffeinated Coke over time and you should be able to avoid the headaches. OR buff yourself with loads of Advil for a few days and the headaches will pass.

• allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I prefer coffee, personally, but you can pry my caffeine from my cold dead hands.

If you feel, however, that you need to reduce your caffeine intake, my suggestion would be to wean yourself off it slowly. For several days, note exactly how much you are drinking, then reduce the amount a little (by maybe 10% or 1 cup or something manageable). After several days, reduce the amount a little bit more. While some people find "cold turkey" to be more manageable, I don't find (lack of) caffeine headaches to be fun, so if my coffee intake gets out of hand I just reduce the amount a bit, allowed myself to adjust to that, then reduced it a bit more. While you are cutting down on the caffeinated beverages, replace them with water. Dehydration can also cause severe headaches and if you have been getting most of your fluids from Diet Coke, then you need to replace those fluids with another source (not just stop drinking the cola).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    For me it's all things in moderation. I drink 1 or 2 diet sodas everyday. I also drink unsweetened tea, and plenty of water.

If you are drinking diet soda all day long....then yes, that's too much. But diet soda is not something I am giving up forever. I am trying to make healthier decisions, I'm not striving for perfection. No one has to be perfect to lose weight.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    moog54 wrote: »

I went through a caffeine addiction, I was making my black coffee with 2 to 3 spoons of coffee to a mug , thats like drinking 4 expressos in 1 sitting, and id have this 3 times a day. I became jittery, lost my job, my marriage fell apart, i was aggressive, on edge, couldnt sleep, almost suicidal. Then I gave up coffee, went 'cold turkey' withdrawals, same as heavy drugs. Now I only have the odd normal strength coffee now and then. So you see coffee can be very addictive, more so than drugs as it is so easy to get.
    This doesn't make since??
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I went through a caffeine addiction, I was making my black coffee with 2 to 3 spoons of coffee to a mug, thats like drinking 4 expressos in 1 sitting, and id have this 3 times a day. I became jittery, lost my job, my marriage fell apart, i was aggressive, on edge, couldnt sleep, almost suicidal. Then I gave up coffee, went 'cold turkey' withdrawals, same as heavy drugs. Now I only have the odd normal strength coffee now and then. So you see coffee can be very addictive, more so than drugs as it is so easy to get.

So coffee ruined your marriage and made you lose your job?

If you really have coffee addiction I suggest getting counseling or a clinic.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Bad for your body how? Isn't it zero calories?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

A massive headache? Or just a headache? If you have a diet coke does it go away? If so, that's just a headache. And means you're addicted to caffeine, not diet Coke.

Careful with your terminology, MASSIVE means much worse than you'd think it means.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

I went through a caffeine addiction, I was making my black coffee with 2 to 3 spoons of coffee to a mug , thats like drinking 4 expressos in 1 sitting, and id have this 3 times a day. I became jittery, lost my job, my marriage fell apart, i was aggressive, on edge, couldnt sleep, almost suicidal. Then I gave up coffee, went 'cold turkey' withdrawals, same as heavy drugs. Now I only have the odd normal strength coffee now and then. So you see coffee can be very addictive, more so than drugs as it is so easy to get.
    This doesn't make since??
    Instant/powdered coffee, I assume.

OP, try cutting back a bit each day. Allow yourself a certain amount each day and budget when to drink them - that will help you feel more in control. Gradually cut back each day or week until you're not getting withdrawal headaches. And stop listening to the people that say Diet Coke is like heroin - that's ridiculous.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    When you are thirsty, have a glass of water. Sorry, this seems bizarre....