Diet Coke Addiction: HELP!!

Options

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    The headaches are most likely caffeine withdrawal. You can try drinking tea instead. Doesn't have as much caffeine (i think?), but is better than soda for you.

If you're only drinking 1-2 a day, I wouldn't worry about. Everyone has foods they work into their daily calories that aren't necessarily 'healthy' for them. It's all about moderation. I still drink sodas, but I cut down quite a bit and now it's normally only for game nights. But then, I also switched to unsweet tea with Equal, so I was getting my caffeine that way. Well, until my doctor told me to cut back a bit, so I had to go with decaffeinated tea at home. But a moderate amount is fine, so having a couple of diet sodas a day isn't a big deal at all.
  • willrunformedals
    willrunformedals Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

So in spite of knowing diet coke is bad for me I can't seem to quit.

1) I switched from regular coke YEARS ago on my first MFP attempt as a way to get the taste without the calories.

2) It's habit first thing in the morning, like ones morning coffee.

3) If I don't have one upon waking I get a MASSIVE headache late morning :( Which I know is a sign of addiction.

Does ANYONE have any suggestions to help cope with this? I know it's bad for my body, but as soon as the headaches hit I go right back. Please help :(

A massive headache? Or just a headache? If you have a diet coke does it go away? If so, that's just a headache. And means you're addicted to caffeine, not diet Coke.

Careful with your terminology, MASSIVE means much worse than you'd think it means.

I think the icepick to the temple feeling constitutes as massive. :( And 9/10 after I drink it goes away.

• willrunformedals
    edited July 2015
    Options
    To all those asking, aside from one in the morning I MAY have one more in the evening but that's it.

Thank you for all the advice :) I will speak to my Doc the next time I see her.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    From the numerous "I'm addicted to diet soda" threads on here. I conclude that the stuff is evil!

I've never even tasted diet soda :confounded:

My advice, bite the bullet and get it out of your system asap.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    From the numerous "I'm addicted to diet soda" threads on here. I conclude that the stuff is evil!

But it's always Diet Coke, never Diet Pepsi or Diet Dr. Pepper.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

But it's always Diet Coke, never Diet Pepsi or Diet Dr. Pepper.

I haven't noticed. Will pay more attention.

I'm surprised coca cola haven't opened a rehab centre yet..

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

1) I switched from regular coke YEARS ago on my first MFP attempt as a way to get the taste without the calories.

3) If I don't have one upon waking I get a MASSIVE headache late morning :( Which I know is a sign of addiction.

Does ANYONE have any suggestions to help cope with this? I know it's bad for my body, but as soon as the headaches hit I go right back. Please help :(

A massive headache? Or just a headache? If you have a diet coke does it go away? If so, that's just a headache. And means you're addicted to caffeine, not diet Coke.

Careful with your terminology, MASSIVE means much worse than you'd think it means.

I think the icepick to the temple feeling constitutes as massive. :( And 9/10 after I drink it goes away.

I think if a helping of soda makes the pain go away, it's not a lot of pain. A caffeine headache is not a bad headache. It's annoying, I'll give you that. I've had them, back when I used to drink a lot of diet soda. They aren't nearly as painful as say, a craniotomy.
  • defatify
    defatify Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Honestly they aren't that bad for you in the grand scheme of things. Take good care of your teeth, eat a balanced diet, and enjoy your diet cokes. Life is short. Or if you really want to, please them out gradually. No big deal.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    To all those asking, aside from one in the morning I MAY have one more in the evening but that's it.

That doesn't sound like an unrealistic amount! What is prompting your belief that you think you should quit? I've been drinking Diet Coke for 20+ years and have no intent to give it up, though I have cut back in the lsst couple years?..
  • lorenswan
    lorenswan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Actually "Diet Coke" tends to make people drink more as it is the goal of the product and actually causes people to gain weight (also a goal of the product). I'd suggest switching back to regular coke, since it is easier for your body to metabolize BUT buy those teeny tiny 6oz cans they sell now, dilute each bottle with carbonated water to a taste you can cope with and start weening yourself that way. Also, start purchasing caffeine free Coke as a treat you can have at the end of the day if you can stick to your daily goal of consumption. Evenings are the hardest so make it a reward. By pushing back your drinking time day by day thusly making your window smaller and smaller to drink coke you will in fact drink less.... eventually. But go at it slow and steady. Cold turkey wont work. Sugar and caffeine are drugs. Unless you intend to do a cleanse of not just Coke, but all things your body and mind will fight back.
  • moondrake
    moondrake Posts: 37 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Once upon a time, Coke and Pepsi had cocaine in them. It's where Coke got its name and put the pep in Pepsi. Cocaine was made illegal, and sales plummetted, so both began adding caffeine to replace the pick - me - up from the cocaine. I have heard that worldwide more people are addicted to caffeine than any other substance. I agree with the suggestion to start mixing caffeine free (not decaf, the caffeine is an additive) with the regular version. That will allow you to step down your caffeine intake. What worked for me was switching to diet root beer, which is much sweeter than Coke or Pepsi and, save for one brand, has no caffeine. BTW, it's aspartame in diet soda, except for a few specific varieties using Splenda, Stevia, or saccharine.
  • pzyxian
    pzyxian Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    what's your next favorite drink?
    try to satisfy the craving with another food. Such as start to drink 2 cups of water, then a cup of coffee.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lorenswan wrote: »
    Actually "Diet Coke" tends to make people drink more as it is the goal of the product and actually causes people to gain weight (also a goal of the product). I'd suggest switching back to regular coke, since it is easier for your body to metabolize BUT buy those teeny tiny 6oz cans they sell now, dilute each bottle with carbonated water to a taste you can cope with and start weening yourself that way. Also, start purchasing caffeine free Coke as a treat you can have at the end of the day if you can stick to your daily goal of consumption. Evenings are the hardest so make it a reward. By pushing back your drinking time day by day thusly making your window smaller and smaller to drink coke you will in fact drink less.... eventually. But go at it slow and steady. Cold turkey wont work. Sugar and caffeine are drugs. Unless you intend to do a cleanse of not just Coke, but all things your body and mind will fight back.

Sorry but none of this makes any sense. Can you elaborate on the top bolded part? How is it the goal of a zero (maybe 1) calorie beverage to make people gain weight?

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

No, this is just untrue.

Gross.

Cleanse - no, just no. Not necessary.
  • willrunformedals
    Options
    Hey guys,

I think if a helping of soda makes the pain go away, it's not a lot of pain. A caffeine headache is not a bad headache. It's annoying, I'll give you that. I've had them, back when I used to drink a lot of diet soda. They aren't nearly as painful as say, a craniotomy.
    I think you are being rather judgmental and don't realize that everyone is different. What is minor pain for someones body may be a lot harder and more painful for another.
  • willrunformedals
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

That doesn't sound like an unrealistic amount! What is prompting your belief that you think you should quit? I've been drinking Diet Coke for 20+ years and have no intent to give it up, though I have cut back in the lsst couple years?..

The feeling that I NEED it all the time is prompting this, plus every one speaks of the evils of aspartame. :( Plus the headaches when I don't have it.

Maybe I should swap for a coffee or caffeinated tea and see if it is indeed as most people say a caffeine addiction.
  • willrunformedals
    Options

That sounds like a GREAT idea! My goal is to quit the Coke altogether with the exception of when I have Rum and Cokes (I don't drink much, maybe one drink a week if that) I think the idea of Diluting the regular stuff with carbonated water is genius! I'll give it a shot once this 12 pack of diet is gone and try it out :)

• willrunformedals
    Options
    moondrake wrote: »
    Once upon a time, Coke and Pepsi had cocaine in them. It's where Coke got its name and put the pep in Pepsi. Cocaine was made illegal, and sales plummetted, so both began adding caffeine to replace the pick - me - up from the cocaine. I have heard that worldwide more people are addicted to caffeine than any other substance. I agree with the suggestion to start mixing caffeine free (not decaf, the caffeine is an additive) with the regular version. That will allow you to step down your caffeine intake. What worked for me was switching to diet root beer, which is much sweeter than Coke or Pepsi and, save for one brand, has no caffeine. BTW, it's aspartame in diet soda, except for a few specific varieties using Splenda, Stevia, or saccharine.

I am going to try this :)

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    moondrake wrote: »

Back in college I did a little job for the library archives going through old newspapers and unfolding them and taking out paper clips and staples. There were ads for Coca-Cola touting the cocaine in it! These were from the 20's IIRC.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Why would you not drink it? I get a headache if I don't have my two cups of coffee a day - but I love coffee, so I will have it.
    I will NOT waste a doctor's time with my "addiction", I would NOT do any cleanse (except a daily bath or shower), and I will probably die someday in a way that has nothing to do with my "coffee addiction"....
    And I actually might drink a diet Pepsi during the day when it's hot out.....