Is this enough exercise a week to lose weight?

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    I do the gym classes. I try to eat 1200 calories a day, some of those days I didn't log everything lol.

I did one of those calculators telling me what I should eat a day and it doesn't seem right...what do you think? It's to lose weight too. I'm having a hard time with food, life getting enough of everything. I just started out on Sunday.

1723 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    20g Net Carbs (5%, 80 kcal)
    82g Protein (19%, 326 kcal)
    146g Fat (76%, 1317 kcal)

Which calculator gave you those numbers?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited July 2015
    I do the gym classes. I try to eat 1200 calories a day, some of those days I didn't log everything lol.

I did one of those calculators telling me what I should eat a day and it doesn't seem right...what do you think? It's to lose weight too. I'm having a hard time with food, life getting enough of everything. I just started out on Sunday.

Which calculator did you use? Is that the amount the calculator said you need in order to lose? If so, how much loss per week is it set up for?

Also, I think those macros are off. Unless you have a medical condition, there's no reason to restrict your carbs anywhere near that much.

I would use the MFP calculator and set yourself up for a reasonable expected weight loss. Depending on your goals, that could be .5 to 1.5/2 pounds per week (the closer you are to goal, the lower your expected rate should be). Let MFP determine the maco split.

Once you have that calorie goal in place, eat back half the exercise calories you burn, especially if you're going with MFP burns.

More importantly, though, clean up the logging. Make sure you log everything (I log my frickin' breath mints). That's the key; you've got to have a good measurement of how many calories are going in.
  • dontgiveup2319
    dontgiveup2319 Posts: 145 Member

Which calculator did you use? Is that the amount the calculator said you need in order to lose? If so, how much loss per week is it set up for?

Also, I think those macros are off. Unless you have a medical condition, there's no reason to restrict your carbs anywhere near that much.

I would use the MFP calculator and set yourself up for a reasonable expected weight loss. Depending on your goals, that could be .5 to 1.5/2 pounds per week (the closer you are to goal, the lower your expected rate should be). Let MFP determine the maco split.

Once you have that calorie goal in place, eat back half the exercise calories you burn, especially if you're going with MFP burns.

More importantly, though, clean up the logging. Make sure you log everything (I log my frickin' breath mints). That's the key; you've got to have a good measurement of how many calories are going in.

Ok thank you for your help. The calculator I used was just one on Google. I'm still learning and probably will for awhile. I've just had people tell me to eat under 50 carbs a day.

One more question, what should my percent be on protein, carbs and fat? Right now it's 25% carbs, 35% fats, 40% protein. After I lose weight I plan on bodybuilding
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    I do gym classes 5-6x a week too and I lost quite a bit of weight! I'm also eating at a calorie deficit though and I weigh absolutely everything. I log everything that I take a bite of. It's become a really great habit, I even weigh my food in my dreams and see how the macros fit into my goals hahaha.

So anyway, the classes are excellent. If you're eating at maintenance or less, then you'll lose weight. You can add strength training to keep as much muscle as possible (adequate amounts of protein is important for this too)
  • tincanonastring
    edited July 2015
    I do gym classes 5-6x a week too and I lost quite a bit of weight! I'm also eating at a calorie deficit though and I weigh absolutely everything. I log everything that I take a bite of. It's become a really great habit, I even weigh my food in my dreams and see how the macros fit into my goals hahaha.

So anyway, the classes are excellent. If you're eating at maintenance or less, then you'll lose weight. You can add strength training to keep as much muscle as possible (adequate amounts of protein is important for this too)

The bolded part is actually what I do, basically. I eat between maintenance and .5lb/week deficit and then I just don't eat back any of my exercise calories.

Ok thank you for your help. The calculator I used was just one on Google. I'm still learning and probably will for awhile. I've just had people tell me to eat under 50 carbs a day.

One more question, what should my percent be on protein, carbs and fat? Right now it's 25% carbs, 35% fats, 40% protein. After I lose weight I plan on bodybuilding

There are a bunch of different ideologies on macro splits, so you'll have to find one that fits your needs. I just checked mine and apparently they've been reset recently as they're showing 50% carbs, 25% fats, 25% protein, but that's not my preference. I prefer a 45% carb, 30% protein, 25% fat split. There are some calculators out there you can use, but I don't know the best ones. Someone else might want to jump in with a suggestion on that.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    No. You can only lose weight by not having a day off exercise for 3 months....
  • tincanonastring
    eldamiano wrote: »
    No. You can only lose weight by not having a day off exercise for 3 months....

Very helpful...
  • dontgiveup2319
    When I first started which was a year and a half ago I worked out 8,11 hours a week almost everyday and my diet was eating veggies, fruit, meat, nuts and some eggs. I ate a lot of fish and chicken and ate 3-6 meals a day....I'm a working progress as I'm trying to get back to that again. It's hard when you're not hungry.

I don't think I counted carbs though. By doing this I lost 21 lbs in a month. I also drank about a gallon of water a day. I guess I could workout more than what I do. I don't work so I'm home doing nothing most of the day.
  • tincanonastring
    edited July 2015
    When I first started which was a year and a half ago I worked out 8,11 hours a week almost everyday and my diet was eating veggies, fruit, meat, nuts and some eggs. I ate a lot of fish and chicken and ate 3-6 meals a day....I'm a working progress as I'm trying to get back to that again. It's hard when you're not hungry.

I don't think I counted carbs though. By doing this I lost 21 lbs in a month. I also drank about a gallon of water a day. I guess I could workout more than what I do. I don't work so I'm home doing nothing most of the day.

You don't need to cut/count carbs. You don't need to exercise 8-11 hours a week. You don't need to eat clean. None of those things are necessary for weight loss. Do them if they make you happy, but don't think that you must do those things to lose weight. It's just not the case.
  • dontgiveup2319
    So it's only how many calories you eat? I don't understand how you can eat whatever you want and never exercise and lose weight?
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    edited July 2015
    Losing 21 lbs in a month isn't something you should aim for actually. Whatever you did last time wasn't good, so don't repeat it. Losing more than 2lbs/week means you're losing a lot of muscle and not just fat.

Protein: .65g - .85 g of lean body mass
    fat: at least .45g of body weight
    carbs: whatever is left over
  • tincanonastring
    edited July 2015
    So it's only how many calories you eat? I don't understand how you can eat whatever you want and never exercise and lose weight?

Because weight control is strictly a function of calories in vs. calories out. Your body burns a certain amount of energy (calories) every day, whether or not you exercise, and if you don't meet that energy need (eating less), your body will get it by breaking down existing fat and muscle. Think of it as a car, but instead of stalling when the tank runs dry, it starts converting the luggage rack to gasoline.

ETA: Proper management of macro & micronutrients along with stength training will help reduce the loss of muscle while in a deficit and lead to better overall body composition and health.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

You can't.

Unless "whatever you want" happens to be less food than your body needs.
  • tincanonastring
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

You can't.

That's what she's saying by "So it's only how many calories you eat?"
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

You can't.

I'm referring to the OP's second sentence. You can't lose weight eating "whatever you want" unless there are some really big caveats around that.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Losing 21 lbs in a month? With 60 lbs to lose. Please don't work to get back there again. 1.5 to 2 lbs a week max. That was not sustainable weight loss. Eating so few cals means a lot of the 21 lbs was muscle in addition to fat. That is not the kind of weight loss you want.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    I go to the gym 6 days a week and its usually for 60 mins. Mostly cardio with some weight training. I need to lose 60+ lbs. I do all the classes like Zumba, Body Pump, Grit, Step and Strength, etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Yes you are getting some good exercise in!

Punch in your food you eat. Weigh that food. Get a digital scale for a whopping $22.

Eat to your calorie limit and do that amount of exercise .... and you will lose weight.

It would be good to understand how weight loss works. As mentioned read and read all the info for newbies.

Very helpful stuff

• tincanonastring

You can't.

I'm referring to the OP's second sentence. You can't lose weight eating "whatever you want" unless there are some really big caveats around that.

You can eat whatever you want and lose weight. You can't eat however much you want, but it doesn't matter at all what you eat.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Fgs read the stickies. It's so clear that you haven't... they're there for a reason. Here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177910/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest

Go read those. All of them.

Weight loss comes from a caloric deficit.

Exercise is for fitness.

Read.

The Getting Started board also has a good batch of stickied posts: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177907/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • dontgiveup2319
    Well...I plan on getting away from food that's already processed and junk. No eating out. I guess I just do what I think is right and what works for me.

The first time with the 21 lbs lost in a month, I weighed 176 lbs before I lost that....I'm 203 lbs now. I don't even look that fat lol. 145 lbs is the goal. I don't care how long it takes honestly. My small goal is to lose 20-30 lbs by mid November. That's 4.25 months. Guess this was wasting people's time...sorry