Non-ugly runners for women

Options
tomatoey
tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
edited July 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I want new runners that I could wear in or out of the gym, and that look decent with street clothes, any suggestions?

Out of the gym, will wear on longer walks. Inside the gym, just for stationary cycling and elliptical. Summer clothes = casual t-shirt dresses, shorts, etc., Converse would probably look ok but obviously are too floppy to give support through a walking stride for long.

I have foot problems, but wear orthotics - so as long as I can take the inner sole out, I don't care about the footbed, just want the sole to be firmer than e.g. Cons

Replies

• allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I would recommend going to a sports store (Running Room or whatever you have available) and getting fitted for proper shoes. This can be especially important if you require orthotics. In all honesty, IMO most good (for lifting, running, etc.) shoes seem to be hideous, but if you specify to the person fitting you for shoes that you want something black, gray or whatever, you might be able to find something you can live with.

I hate the look of almost all running shoes, but nothing beats the fit of a good pair that matches your physical activity levels.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I often wear Keds in the gym, not sure how they compare to Cons though. And I don't know how they would do on long walks.
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'll definitely be looking at fit! Just curious about what styles are out there, and how they're worn, casually - haven't bought any runners in a while. Mine - which I got when I relied on the shoe construction alone for support, before I got the orthotics - have a medical appearance. They're like huge white bricks and I can't stand to look at them anymore! There's got to be something that fits that's cuter than that.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    The only running shoes that exist now are neon/fluorescent greens, yellows, blues and oranges. At least that was the case when I bought these...

02.jpg

good shoes though, just ugly as sin.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    What is your definition of ugly? Crazy colors or plain? Do you want something that could pass as respectable on the street, or something that will say, "Hi, I work out! And have I mentioned how I work out?"

Skechers generally have a removable insole (room for your orthotics) and span the spectrum of fuddy duddy-respectable-insane. Kohl's online has a good selection of that brand.
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    The only running shoes that exist now are neon/fluorescent greens, yellows, blues and oranges. At least that was the case when I bought these...

02.jpg

good shoes though, just ugly as sin.

OMG, ok
    What is your definition of ugly? Crazy colors or plain? Do you want something that could pass as respectable on the street, or something that will say, "Hi, I work out! And have I mentioned how I work out?"

Skechers generally have a removable insole (room for your orthotics) and span the spectrum of fuddy duddy-respectable-insane. Kohl's online has a good selection of that brand.

Ha!! Ok, eyes now adjusted - I actually don't mind those neon ones! But I have a feeling they look best on millenials, in the wild. I'm in my late thirties, and they just wouldn't go with my existing (or likely future) wardrobe. I think it's going to be on the "pass as respectable on the street" side. I think Skechers might fit the bill! Thanks :)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    This is the kind of thing I'm moving away from, though. Pretty much anything is better

brooks-white-brooks-womens-addiction-walker-walking-shoe-product-1-2673099-681979300.jpeg
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    If you have foot problems, your main concern should be what works for you feet, not fashion.

Secondly, get a pair of shoes that work for th exercises you do, and wear something for street wear.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    Options
    Ps. I'm older than you and look just fine in loud running shoes.
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you have foot problems, your main concern should be what works for you feet, not fashion.

Secondly, get a pair of shoes that work for th exercises you do, and wear something for street wear.

That's easy for some to say. I invite you to consider the typical women's "comfort" shoe.

297064_366_45.jpg

HAWT
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Ps. I'm older than you and look just fine in loud running shoes.

:)
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend wearing your running shoes as street shoes unless you don't really plan on running that much. Fit is more important than appearance with runners, particularly if you don't want blisters, aching arches or achilles problems.
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend wearing your running shoes as street shoes unless you don't really plan on running that much. Fit is more important than appearance with runners, particularly if you don't want blisters, aching arches or achilles problems.

I'm not running anywhere, this is just for slightly speedier than normal walking pace walks in an urban setting, because I'm tired of doing everything indoors. Completely agree that fit is key, but no danger there in my case, I've had to become well-schooled on that, believe me :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am 47 years old and I just go with the flow... I have really really loud color running shoes that I bought this past weekend and now use the older ones for the gym/walking...

My feet and comfort are the up most important.. The girls at the Running Club where I get my shoes says the older folks want the loud and proud colors and of course want to be seen in the lights when walking down the street...

I guess the older you get, the less you care about what it looks like..
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    edited July 2015
    Options
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Merrel makes some pretty nice running shoes that are not total eyesores. Their zero drop minimalist/barefoot runners would probably work for you. They don't have a bunch of padding or arch support in them so you can simply slip your orthotics into them. I don't run but do wear this brand for my work shoes because I am on my feet all day and they are the only thing that won't make my knees and hips go out of whack and get painful.
  • Dudleymon1
    Dudleymon1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Altra Olympus--not pretty, but by far the most comfortable exercise and walking shoes I've ever tried. I've run, walked, and worked out in them. I also wore them when travelling abroad, when I was walking all day.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

That's easy for some to say. I invite you to consider the typical women's "comfort" shoe.

297064_366_45.jpg

HAWT

That doesn't look comfortable to me
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I agree with going to a store. I get whatever shoe the person tells me to get that also make me feel like i'm running on a cloud. I wear converse for lifting weights, easier to balance, and I use my older running shoes for going on walks.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Then never mind. Wear whatever's comfortable and fits your orthotic. You don't need trainers to go for a walk in an urban setting, just something comfortable.